4.0 out of 5 stars but focusing on the human dilemma of how to survive (and fight back) against superior forces. If you've seen Extraterrestrial an
A low budget syfy movie, but don't let that dissuade you from giving it a viewing. An interesting take on alien invasion - without relying too much on special effects, but focusing on the human dilemma of how to survive (and fight back) against superior forces. If you've seen Extraterrestrial and others in the same vein, and enjoyed them, then I feel confident that you...
Published 21 days ago by Fabian Faun

3.0 out of 5 stars Vicarious fun
Published on 24 May 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Vicarious fun, 24 May 2012
I have to say I enjoyed watching this film, it was a lot of fun for me watching these really annoying 2 dimensional cardboard people being wiped out one by one. The effects were nice, disintegration excellent,lots of tension. Story was cheesy but OK up to the bit where everyone waits for 1 person - which I found stupid. At the end it trailed off and that was it. Strictly a 3 star film but I did enjoy watching it.

1.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed watching this film from the start and which kept ..., 31 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Darkest Hour (DVD + Digital Copy) (DVD)
I enjoyed watching this film from the start and which kept me rivited with its classic sense of doom and hopelessness. The special effects were quite nice but but lacked depth.

The acting was nothing to write home about, but the classic alien invasion terror plan was very doom-laden which I thought was just what I savoured, and expected a real thrilling climax to this otherwise potentially wonderful movie but, alas, all my heightened expectations were so rudely dashed and smashed to pieces (just like the aliens' victims in movie) when the film simply ended without warning!!!

Wot a letdown and a damn nuisance!! That left me in a terrible mood not knowing what the Earth's fate was at that point. It's as if the makers ran out of ideas as to how to end the film and took the easy way out. Disgusting, I thought! Hence the one star rating!!

Ike

3.0 out of 5 stars Neither awful nor extraordinary, 20 Feb. 2012
Andres C. Salama (Buenos Aires, Argentina) - See all my reviews
In this movie, four young Americans (including Emile Hirsch, from Speed Racer, and Max Minghella, from Art School Confidential, among others) get stranded in Moscow when an alien invasion (represented initially, intriguingly, as a lethal form of electromagnetic waves) attack Moscow, leaving almost everyone dead. Our friends hide in a sort of basement, and when a few days later, they emerge from inside, they find wholesale destruction, and the news that the aliens have attack planet wide, but also intriguing hints that there maybe other survivors. And soon enough, they find that some Russians have banded together to resist the invaders.

Produced by Kazakh filmmaker Timur Bekmambetov (from the interesting Nightwatch franchise) this movie is nothing special but is surely an entertaining outing. Among the plus: the survivors escaping from the aliens in a desolate Moscow, including empty landmarks like The Kremlin and Moscow State University. Among the minus: some of the special effects are really cheesy.

2.0 out of 5 stars FILM 2/5...3D 0/5...BLU-RAY 5/5..., 19 Jan. 2015
Pointless 3D, the 3D made your eyes go all weird, the film felt like it was shot in 2D then the 3D was added later, which most of the time this does not work, you do get the odd exception like Creature from the black lagoon, but this failed big time.

I did give two stars because I watched it again in 2D which was ten times better with the Blu-ray being very nice, the film it self was ok, not bad action, I have seen much worse films than this, but then again I have seen a lot.

3.0 out of 5 stars 'IS THERE ANY CHANCE OF ESCAPING THE INVADERS ?, 14 Sept. 2014
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
The earth is being invaded by an invisible intruder who seeks out and kills all living things, leaving only a pile of dust.
only contact with an electrical source makes the alien visitors partially visible.
A small group of survivors including four Americans discover from a lifeless U.S embassy that the attack is worldwide.
A radio message offers them a way of returning home, all they have to do is rendezvous with a submarine in a nearby river.
however avoiding the intruders will be difficult, how many will survive the seemingly short but hazardous trek ?
This is an okay stab at an alien-invasion adventure.....worth a watch.

2.0 out of 5 stars Direst hour, bleak and sour, withered flower, without power - although idea was great, garbage bin should be thy fate..., 19 Nov. 2012
Darth Maciek "Darth Maciek" (Darth Maciek is out there...) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Darkest Hour (DVD + Digital Copy) (DVD)
I like B-movies, I like Sci-Fi B-movies and I even generally like the not-so-good Sci-Fi B-movies (I actually rated "Skyline" three stars) - but this thing was too much even for me. As one of the precedent reviewers very accurately noticed, this is basically a perfectly useless and less succesful remake of "Skyline", just with a lesser budget and without US Air Force vs. alien bionic fighters moments. This review contains limited SPOILERS.

The general idea of the film was pretty good - let's throw a handful of young Americans in the middle of an alien invasion, but instead of an US location (New York, Los Angeles, Hawaii, as those are the places usually invaded by extraterrestrial villains) let's place them in Moscow! It could have been such a great and full of humor film, but the whole idea was COMPLETELY wasted by the archi-idiotic scenario. Do not expect any humor or smart dialogs, the (very limited) action scenes are pathetic and every time anybody seems to have a potential to do or say something interesting he/she is immediately eradicated.

The reasons for which I still give this film two stars, are following:

- there is aproximately 10-12 minutes which are watchable - but just so we are clear it is BEFORE the alien invasion begins...
- even if all actors were completely unknown to me and even if after watching their "performance" I believe they should remain so, all the girls were still very cute...
- there is one smart one-liner at the very beginning and another one at the very end of the film
- this is the first Sci-Fi film ever in which I saw humans engage alien invaders with cavalry and Molotov cocktails made from vodka...)))
- last but not least, there is a kind of an "alternate geography" lesson in this film (it concerns the Moskva river) which made me laugh like a hysterically drunk hyena - although I am certain that such was not the intention of the scenarist...

So all in all, this film is a huge failure, only watchable if we consider it as a kind of stupid joke - but it will work only after ingestion of a huge quantity of beer. Otherwise, avoid it if possible...

3.0 out of 5 stars Deep & Meaningful, 13 April 2014
Are two words you can't associate with this offering but it was ok.

If you have 2 hours to spare, don't take your sci-fi too seriously and don't look for the gaping holes in the plot, then you could do worse...

2.0 out of 5 stars Confused by mixed reviews? Trust me, it's pretty bad., 16 Jun. 2012
Richard Allen (Wellington, Somerset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Darkest Hour (DVD + Digital Copy) (DVD)
This is just your fairly typical small band of survivors racing around a deserted city trying to escape from aliens-type film. It does illustrate the extent to which CGI can make a low budget, poorly casted and acted, predicably plotted film appear slightly more than the sum of its parts. I have given it two stars, mainly because I thought the backdrop of a deserted Moscow made it marginally more intersting than it might otherwise have been. I was amused by another review that suggested it was sponsored by the Moscow tourist board. Moscow certainly does figure in every aspect of the film. But in all other respects it's your standard straight-to-video fare.

2.0 out of 5 stars Annoying cast in a stupid B-movie., 14 Oct. 2012
The Truth "How it is" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
There are two main problems with this film, casting and a plot line that is full of holes. From the outset you take an instant disliking to the main characters and poor acting means you fail to warm to other cast members as they're introduced.

The story itself is a variation on an unoriginal alien invasion type theme - one that has been done to death before and done much better, and you can't help but feel the fact that using invisible aliens was a budgetary rather than a creative decision.

This is obviously a B-movie so you can forgive it its flaws and quite happily sit through it, but judging it as a film and as a whole, it's pretty dire on every level. The biggest problem though it definitely the annoying cast who you wish would die anyway.

3.0 out of 5 stars Standard sci fi, 22 April 2015
This review is from: The Darkest Hour (DVD)
Been a lot of negative comments on this page about the film, just don't expect too much. Yes, it is a bit standard fare and the dialogue isn't exactly impressive, but I found it very watchable, and the ideas for the aliens and how to beat them were original. I wanted to know what happened in the end and, having seen many of this genre, I wasn't surprised at how the film ended - it's unusual to get a strong finish like "Independence Day", so I wasn't disappointed. Definitely worth a look if you simply want to pass the time.

The Darkest Hour (DVD + Digital Copy)
The Darkest Hour (DVD + Digital Copy) by Chris Gorak (DVD - 2012)