4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing View
This collection of short stories give a refreshing view of Ireland and the Irish. Each of the stories give an honest and real view of ordinary lives albeit that they are works of fiction. A great companion for the traveler.
Published on 11 Sep 2011 by Pat Mcnamee

2.0 out of 5 stars New Irish short stories
I don't normally write a bad review, as I worry in case the author might take it personally. I do however need to explain to readers that this is far from being a good reflection of Irish writing. Don't buy this thinking, that'll set me up for a train journey or holiday, or a Modern Lit course.

Some of the authors are not Irish and Joseph O'Connor does not...
Published on 19 Jun 2012 by Clare O'Beara

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing View, 11 Sep 2011
Pat Mcnamee "Gadget Fiend" (Armagh, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Irish Short Stories (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Well crafted & well observed on all aspects of life, 17 July 2012
Alison Wells (Bray, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This collection edited by Joseph O' Connor does what it says in the preface, it gives a flavour of Irish writing from identifiably Irish writers and those with Irish connections. The stories deal with a range of situations and perspectives, some set in Ireland, some elsewhere. The point of this volume I feel is not in particular the Irishness, despite the title, it is the quality and variety of the work. It is the ability of each of these authors, either well established or beginning on their writing careers to explore a microcosm of setting and time and make it immediate and real. As in many stories there is often a crisis, sometimes explicit, sometimes only in the mind of the character, the protagonists face challenges but the book is not humourless. There are many writer who look at the particular condition we call life and see it wryly and with great affection. Stories stand out for many reasons, Roddy Doyle gets people so well, his dialogue and wit are impeccable. Stories by Orfhlaith Foyle, Richard Ford and Julia Kelly linger, greats such as William Trevor are included as is Kevin Barry's Sunday Times Award winning story. I have mentioned particular names but this entire collection stands out, each story fresh, beguiling and satisfying. I have read many many short stories and this collection is one of my favourites so far, highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars New Irish short stories, 19 Jun 2012
Clare O'Beara - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Some of the authors are not Irish and Joseph O'Connor does not contribute a story. I received the impression that all the authors were feeling crushed by the recession (this was published in 2011) and having a bad day moreover, with all their pensions lost in bank shares.

O'Connor's introduction is readable. There is a good, well told story called A Gift For My Mother by Viv McDade, so I now know what a flame lily looks like and that it is illegal to pick them, while I have a picture of the veldt as a tangle of brush starred with beautiful flowers. Roddy Doyle injects the one note of humour in a bleak book, but even that tale finishes in the slough of despond. Why not cut it short and leave us enjoying it?

The rest is a catalogue of child rape, animal abuse, business failure, unemployment, drunkenness, loneliness, the wreckage of lives and houses, an author without inspiration - always the refuge of a writer with nothing left - a man who takes up the offer of quick sex with a mentally ill woman, then flees back to his wife in case she stalks him, a man who got his neighbour killed by terrorists. This reader struggled from one tale to the next, hoping that the next would be better. Or at least would read better.

Have the arts nothing to offer us any more? No hope, no Irish humour, community spirit, work ethic and resilience? Not according to O'Connor, who is at pains to tell us how wonderful and respected these authors are, yet never once says he enjoyed the stories - a strange omission in any collection. He references John McGahern who wrote stories set in Ireland's earlier days of poverty and emigration. McGahern wrote beautifully and entertainingly, and if we closed his book feeling regretful, we knew the book would be read again - try The Leavetaking. Some of these short stories are so drawn-out and poorly written that I wondered if the authors were being paid by the word; others are just a ramble of rubbish about everything in the world being buried and meaningless and hopeless.

The people featured in this collection, and the editor, seem to have forgotten - perhaps through personal problems - that the point of storytelling is twofold: to entertain and to inform. Look at Red Riding Hood and The Children of Lir. The simple tales are rich with symbolism, warnings, colour, nature, parental advice and neglect, difficult childhoods and struggle against adversity, and are tales to be told for a thousand years.
The point of storytelling is not to make your reader lose the will to live.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 8 Aug 2014
OK not as riveting as I anticipated

New Irish Short Stories