‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: SO YOU WANT TO WIN WIMBLEDON?: HOW TO TURN THE DREAM INTO REALITY (Kindle Edition)
Excellent well researched read, tons of interesting snippets of inside info about the main players over the years and their approach to the game. Highly recommended A+

5.0 out of 5 stars So You Want To Win Wimbledon, 6 April 2013
This book by Malcolm Bainbridge comes with a few hefty quotes from some of the top trainers in the game. Written as a guide to players, parents and coaches alike, it maps out in pretty extensive style the route map to becoming a professional tennis player. Excellent, excellent, excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great insight into the world of junior tennis, 28 Nov 2012
"So You Want To Win Wimbledon" gives an interesting, awe-inspiring and slightly frightening (for a tennis parent) overview of what it has taken for previous Wimbledon Champions to "make it" in tennis. The back stories of each champion are well researched and give the reader some real life examples of what it is like to compete at such a high level.
As a non tennis player myself, I found the advice about what young tennis players need to be doing at the different stages of Mini Tennis particularly useful and wish I had found this book much sooner. We might have made some different decisions about coaching and competing for our son!
This book is a "must read" for all tennis parents and junior players.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab in parts but could be shorter, 3 Nov 2012
I am in awe as to how much research must have gone into this book. I am a mother who's daughter has been playing tennis since the age of five. I adore watching tennis but have never swung a racquet, so I am trying to understand the ins and outs of the game.

I loved the "biographies" in the book, which basically let you know that there is no right way to become a Wimbledon champion, however there are certain similarities which are definately worth noting.

From a personal perspective there were too many statistics, but I totally understand why these are in the book and that many parents (particularly dads/coaches)would benefit from these.

The author is obviously very knowledgeble and has "done the rounds" on the tennis circuit,however my one complaint would be the lack of flow in the book and the lack of proofreading/editing.

What's amazing is that the author has written this book for the love of tennis and anyone with a remote interest in the sport would benefit from reading it
I have been shouting out quotes from the book to my daughter and I can honestly say it has opened my eyes as to how I can help her on and off the court.

I may even take up the sport myself!

5.0 out of 5 stars So you want to win wimbeldon, 19 Aug 2012
A very easy informative read highly recommend it to any one interested in tennis I like the way a brief history of the players country's has been threaded into the book

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting & Informative, 10 Jun 2012
J. Reed "JLR78" (OH, USA) - See all my reviews
A very entertaining and extremely informative read. This gives you an inside look at the time and effort that is put in to becoming a world class tennis player. You also get a peek into how the top players grew up and how they began their journey. I recommend this book for any person interested in the game of tennis, weather it be to play or as an avid fan, such as myself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, but ..., 24 Mar 2012
The Kindle Book Review (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
In the interest of full disclosure, I was asked by the author to review this book for the website The Kindle Book Review.

My knowledge of tennis was about Ground Zero. I knew some of the famous tennis stars' names, but that was about it. But this book held my attention. I loved it. I enjoyed reading the tennis biographies of the famous players, including their relationships to their parents and to their coaches. Who relied on natural talent and who worked hard. Who was destined to be a tennis great, and who was a big surprise. The book covers average costs of hiring a coach, how long to stay with a coach, and when it's time to move on to the next coach. How much does luck factor in? How much does location factor in?

Chunks of the book are for parents, with biographies that run the gamut from over-involved, to striking a balance between involved parent and best cheerleader.

This book is a very short read, and is more of a reference book than a complete read-through. I recommend it for amateurs to get a feel for the real game and for professionals who need validation that their playing life is more or less normal.

This being said, I have to remove one star to make it 4-stars. The writing is not the best, and the editing is non-existent. But the book is well organized, the author is knowledgeable, and the passion is evident. Some sections seem to repeat, but in a reference book, that is fine.

-- Java Davis (The Kindle Book Review)

5.0 out of 5 stars Success story, stories of success, 27 Feb 2012
I enjoyed this book, I'd love to have it in hard copy to lend to my son more easily. The short back stories of some of the key players are fascinating, and his thoughts and views on some of the key developmental aspects of a junior player's game are well researched. If only winning Wimbledon was as easy as reading this book! Recommend to tennis parents world-wide.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'must' read for any tennis player/parent/coach who has a passion for tennis, 25 Oct 2011
I downloaded this book with a little bit of scepticism having read other tennis biographies and have to admitt i enjoyed this book the most.
It is evident that the author has spent a lot of time researching this book and has put a lot of thought into how it reads.It gives a fascinating insight into the lives of some of the greastest tennis players and how they came to being at the top of their game.
I particularly enjoyed reading the chapter about European tennis and why they consistantly produce outstanding players....it would have been nice to read more about british tennis in general.. however it is a very open and honest approach with valuable advice for both tennis parents and children who want to live their dream and 'make it to wimbledon' but also being very realistic about it at the same time.
If you love tennis you will love reading this book. I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of effort and research were put into this book...MUST READ!, 3 Oct 2011
I came across this book as I looked for some information on Pato Alvarez and I came away stunned at how much analysis was done on the history of tennis. It's very rare that I read something about tennis that I didn't already know but that it happened quite a bit. I would advide everyone to visit Martins website because he wrote a very detailed 3 part series on Spanish tennis that will educate anyone who isnt familiar with their thinking on the game of tennis. My only "complaint" is that I wanted to get the actual book to add to my personal library!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›