on 21 August 2011
I never really use filters to protect my lenses. I'm a professional photographer - and I don't really go out in extreme conditions, so have never worried. I worry more about putting a cheap bit of glass in front of a very expensive lens and reducing its potential. However, I just bought a Canon 70-200mm f2.8 and the front glass on it is huge - and extremely close to the front rim. At £1800, I was just too scared to damage it or simply end up with my finger smearing it. So I looked at filters. B+W have always been top of their game. Their parent company Schneider Kreuznach have made some of the world's best lenses since I can remember. Used to always swear by their enlarger lenses. So after looking at the options - it appears most people simply cop out at the price and opt for a Hoya. I thought sod it and went for the best available. As you do not need UV filters anymore - because Digital cameras have them built in, went for the simple clear glass one. Not much you can say about the actual product, its a very clear bit of glass. Other difference I liked, from reading other reviews, is that this has a brass mount ring. That means that one day, if I ever want to remove it, it should come off. Normal aluminium rings will no doubt jam and you will then have problems getting them off. For the extra cost - I thought this well worth it.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 26 September 2012
In an effort to help those trying to decide whether these filters are really worth the money, the following is a list of my own impressions and conclusions:

PROS
+ Employs Schott glass (made by Schneider Krauznach), which is manufactured to a very high optical standard
+ Wide and shallow bezel - ideal with some wide-angle lenses, where vignetting could pose a problem
+ The filter benefits from an effective seven-layer MRC (Multi-Resistant Coating), with an additional eighth (Nano) outer layer: it's hydrophobic, doesn't smear when cleaned, and is reputed to be as hard as the glass it adheres to
+ Does nothing but protect the lens without impairing overall image quality (modern digital cameras do not require additional UV filtration)

CONS
- High purchase price compared to rivals
- The mounting rings are so modest that making them from brass doesn't provide much of a benefit over cheaper aluminium alternatives
- There are counterfeits in the marketplace, so try and purchase from a reputable source

In conclusion:

If you habitually use very wide-angle lenses down to 17mm on a full-frame camera, or 10mm on an APS-C camera, and you want to minimise the impact of vignetting in your photos, this 77mm B+W XSPD filter could prove to be an essential purchase. If you don't use lenses that go wider than 24mm (full-frame) and 18mm (APS-C), I would suggest that you buy the B + W 77mm Clear Glass Filter Multi Resistant coated version instead - which is optically just as good and has much more substantial brass mountings.

flickr.com/photos/peterfacts
on 30 October 2011
If you have an expensive lens, especially a 70-200 f/2.8 - this is the filter you need on the front. The nano coating is currently the best anti-reflection multi-coating out there... I previously had an uncoated Tiffen filter on my Canon 70-200L and the difference is striking - vastly reduced flare and increased contrast when shooting into the light with the B+W. (No anti-Tiffen feelings - just don't buy uncoated or single coated filters!)...

The B+W MRC filters are the next step down from the 'nano' and are also very good (and just a little less expensive)

B+W filters are beautifully made, with brass and fine quality glass - expensive, but absolutely worth it.
Having tried many protective filters over the years, I've finally settled on the B+W 007 as the filter of choice for my professional grade Nikon lenses, my X100 and my Canon XA10 camcorder.

Minimises any ghosting, loss of contrast and internal reflection with an excellent multi-coated glass element, and being precision machined from brass (rather than cheaper, lighter aluminium), it's less likely to end up locked into the threads of your camera lens than other filters.

Highly recommended.
on 11 February 2012
Well made and packaged item. Comes with its own plastic case with cushioned lining. The ring is very slim, as slim as you could hope for given that you need to retain a few front threads for a lens cap. There are less threads for the lens caps than a deeper filter, but if you chose this model it must be because you're trying to avoid vignetting.

I've fitted a genuine Nikon lens cap onto this filter and found the level of grip to be excellent despite the reduced thread depth.
on 9 June 2014
There is very little on the market that can meet the quality of the B+W MRC Nano range of filters. But it does come at a higer cost compared to other brands. For many lenses the cost of a B+W is simply not worth it though. So I find myself buying the Hoya Pro-1 or HD range for lenses of lesser value or lower optically quality. This is where B+W lose one star in my opinion (look at 82mm filter prices.....). I do prefer the B+W filters though, but like many premium products sometimes it is hard to justify the cost. Dont get me wrong that Hoya is not of good quality, they have different attributes and an attribute in their favour is cost, A premium Hoya filter (HD range) is still a very good investment, especially if you prefer to protect or weatherseal your lenses.
on 6 March 2013
Loved the fact when I opened it I couldn't actually see the glass.

Quite simply, if you pay good money for super sharp lenses there is no point in putting a cheap filter in front of them.

Well worth the money.
on 15 April 2014
Bought to protects lens. Not the cheapest but pretty good value from this supplier.
Only small niggle is that, in combination with a Hoya HD filter, they have a tendency to lock together such that when the Hoya filter has to be removed they both come off - not sure which filter thread is to blame but it is a pain. If the filter had some form of grip knurled into the outer surface this might alleviate this problem.
on 6 January 2014
I don't like using removing the UV or protection filter if I can help it so this being so thin means I can use other filters without getting vignette on my wide angles on full frame whereas with other filters you get some.

Really high quality glass too and side by side you can see the extra AR coating it has compared to cheaper ones.
on 7 October 2013
I decided to be cautious and use a filter on my very expensive lens, at least when the photos are not important. The quality seems very good.

Delivered in about a week which was much faster than stated. I don't know why they put a slow delivery time as it could out some purchasers off.