on 12 April 2012
I'm using the B+W Protection Filter with a Fujifilm FinePix X100 Digital Camera - (12.3MP, APS-C CMOS EXR) 2.8 inch LCD. I have fitted this filter in conjunction with the Fujifilm Lens Hood and Adapter Ring for FinePix X100 to allow room for the auto-focus movement of the lens rather that attach it directly to the lens itself. This filter looks very much in keeping with the X100.

With the X100, when the adapter is fitted, the original Fuji metal lens hood does not fit well. Having the B+W filter attached to the adapter makes the Fuji lens hood fit more securely which is a benefit I hadn't considered. The combination of adapter, filter and lens hood means that the Fujifilm Premium Leather Case for FinePix X100 does not close properly. This is an issue with the Fuji not the B+W filter.

I am delighted with the look and quality of the B+W Protection Filter.
review image review image
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 19 August 2015
In an effort to help those trying to decide whether these filters are really worth the money, the following is a brief summary of my own impressions and conclusions:

PROS:

+ Employs Schott glass (made by Schneider Krauznach), which is manufactured to a very high optical standard
+ Wide and shallow bezel - ideal with some wide-angle lenses, where vignetting could otherwise pose a problem
+ The filter benefits from an effective seven-layer MRC (Multi-Resistant Coating), with an additional eighth (Nano) outer layer: this is hydrophobic, doesn't smear when cleaned, and is reputed to be as hard as the glass it adheres to
+ Does nothing but protect the lens without impairing overall image quality (modern digital cameras do not require additional UV filtration)

CONS:

- Slightly higher purchase price than its obvious market rivals
- The mounting rings are so modest that making them from brass doesn't offer much of a benefit over cheaper aluminium alternatives
- There are counterfeits in the marketplace, so try and purchase from a reputable source

In conclusion:

If you habitually use very wide-angle lenses (as wide as 17mm on a full-frame camera, or 10mm on an APS-C camera) - and you want to minimise the impact of vignetting in your photos - this B+W 49mm XSPD filter could prove to be an essential purchase. If you don't use lenses that go wider than 24mm (full-frame) and 18mm (APS-C), I would suggest that you buy the standard F-Pro B+W 49mm MRC Clear Protection filter instead: it's optically just as good, has much more substantial (though heavier) brass mountings, and is also a little bit cheaper.

flickr.com/photos/peterfacts
I have one of these fitted to my Fuji X100 by way of the Fuji filter adapter as a protective measure to guard against dust getting behind the movable front element, which can't subsequently be removed easily for cleaning.

Happily, it doesn't affect image quality on the X100 in quite the same way as I've experienced with Hoya HD filters on my Nikon D700 - i.e. point sources of light in dark conditions don't tend to lead to excessive ghosting on the X100.

B+W is one of the top brands of filter on the market, so you can rest assured that this is a quality item.

A good tip for those of you with a collection of 77mm filters is to get a 49 to 77mm step-up adapter, so that you can mount your 77mm filters (polarizer, ND etc) in front of your 49mm clear protective filter. That way you don't have to buy all new 49mm filters and you get no vignetting.
on 8 August 2013
The usual B+W quality. I bought it to go on my new Fuji X100S using the JJC adaptor and lens hood. No problems with the lens hitting the filter in macro mode, as some have reported.
on 14 January 2015
It is worth the money! It does not affect the picture quality at all on my Fujifilm x100s. Due to the Nano coating, the filter does not attract as many dust particles and other stuff as other filters do. It seems also that It is very easy to wipe from finger prints.
This is the filter to go for if you care about your camera and picture quality!
on 9 May 2014
Bought this for my new Fujifilm X100S to avoid having to carry around the lens cap. Fitted the adaptor with no issues and hasn't shown any marks or scuffs in the few weeks I've been using it.

Recommended.
on 8 May 2012
I bought this to protect the front element of my Zeiss 24mm f1.8 E mount lens for the Sony NEX. While it fits the 49mm filter thread perfectly, I was unable to re-attach the lens hood as the filter mount is very slightly larger than the lens surround, preventing the hood from passing over it.

I swapped with the Hoya 49mm UV filter that I had on the kit 18-55mm lens and the hood fitted the 24mm lens fine but the 18-55mm hood no longer fitted with the B+W attached. Exactly the same issue with the Sony 55-210 lens: with the Hoya the hood could be attached but with the B+W it could not. I guess it could be forced but would likely damage the plastic lugs that allow the hoods to snap into place.

I've used B+W filters on other brand lenses (Canon EF) with no issues so the incompatibility is not universal but something to be aware of if you have a Sony NEX.
66 comments|7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 May 2015
Top quality. I haven't had it long. The "nano " part is the thing that makes it easy to clean, and is supposed to repel dirt and water droplets. I have a Hoya which does the same, and it works very well. Dirt sometimes falls off or even gets blown away! The Hoya is made of toughened glass. I haven't seen anywhere that says this is hardened glass too, but it may be "the nature of the beast" that they all are. I think the Hoya may actually be easier to clean, but it's early days yet.
on 12 May 2013
The B+W XSPD filter ring is excellent quality and essential to protect the X100s lens. Bought with Fuji X100 Adaptor ring.
on 30 May 2013
Fits well, looks good and works well. Can't ask for any more than that I suppose. Good purchase at a good price.