5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
Published on 29 July 2009 by Ms. C. G. Lisle

3.0 out of 5 stars You what, Kahlan?
Having read the other reviews, it looks as though most people didn't like getting sidetracked by the whole Anderith subplot. To be honest, I loved it. It was certainly a refreshing change, although it did seem to make the book slightly out of place with the rest of the series thus far.
I didn't find that a problem at all. And whilst the Chimes were never...
Published on 3 Feb 2006

3.0 out of 5 stars You what, Kahlan?, 3 Feb 2006
By A Customer
I didn't find that a problem at all. And whilst the Chimes were never 'tangible', per se, I don't think they were ever meant to be the major "bad-guy". Instead, they were just something that Richard had to deal with instead of getting ot the root of the problem.
So that wasn't my problem either - what was my problem, was Kahlan (and possibly Cara, too).
After all that's happened in the previous books, after everything Kahlan has been through not just with material enemies, but with good and bad spirits (like Darken Rahl and the ever-present Keeper), she decides, for some reason, that she isn't going to believe in bad spirits anymore, and rubbishes Richard's worries about them. Even when people die mysteriously, and when she's given all the clues under the Sun, and a man who seems to be able to understand and accomplish everything ever possible (Richard) warns her, she still doesn't believe.
That was truly apalling story-telling.
But it gets much better towards the end. This may not be the best in the series, but I enjoyed (most of) it nonetheless 8)

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 17 Jun 2008
Having read the first four books in the serious 'Sword of Truth', book 5 was nowhere near as good. T Goodkind has done an amazing job creating the first four books, which are outstanding, but this one was like coming up against a wall and being bounced right back off it. i had to force myself to read it, waiting in vain for something to happen - the word slow doesn't cover it.

T. Goodkind has an annoying habit of repeating himself throughout all the novels to remind you constantly about previous situations, this is bearable as the other previous books are so good you can forgive him for this, but i found this book so poor that it was near impossible to stick with it. i am ok with new characters, but in this novel it lost its connection to the main characters for far too long.

This was so.... boring and unnecessarily violent and abusive. he does seem to like his abuse!!
For me he over egged it in this novel and made me feel i had wrongly recommended these novels to my friends. i feel that many people who like Science Fiction Fantasy would be offended by the continual level of abuse, which detracts from the overall story. felt like he was filling in rather than writing from his heart/soul

So for me this book was a big disappointment. I would suggest he end the series sooner rather than later, and for the next novel in the series persevere to the same high quality level of writing and plot that he managed in the first 4 books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 July 2009
Ms. C. G. Lisle "C Lisle" (Guildford) - See all my reviews
I have to say I was warned that the series took a bit of a downturn after the first 4 book. But I disagree! I really enjoyed this installment as Goodkind again draws on so many threads to weave a brilliant story. It has everything, love, violence, magic, and a few scares for me too! The 'lurk' at the beginning was quite scary, though believe me, everyone will laugh if you try to explain that to them.
My usual criticism is that the stories are often quite slow in the beginning until you hit the turning point and can't put it down. Not so with this one, from the beginning you have an idea of the direction of the story and are drawn in. There are a few slow patches, but overall it keeps you engaged.
The actual story continues immediately from the events of the previous book. Richard and Kahlan really can't seem to catch a break and separate from Zed again. In fact lots of the characters seem to branch off into their own missions and occasionally this can be a bit irritating, as the chapter finishes on a cliffhanger with one character and onto another!
On the bright side, the chapters seem shorter and sharper than previous books and it doesn't take long for your character to resurface. Wonderful stuff. You won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Masterpiece, one of the Good Kind!!!, 2 Aug 1999
By A Customer
Terry Goodkind has yet again surpassed himself with the fifth novel in the ever expanding 'Sword of Truth' series, we gather again with Kahlan, Richard, Cara, Zedd and other favorite characters in a mind blowing whirlwind, the Chimes are lose and the world of magic is at risk. Being an already avid reader of Goodkinds novels, this was no disappointment, love, politics, magic, the quest for power, I just coundn't put it down (Much to the annoyance of the rest of my family who were waiting with bloodthirsty stares until I finished so they could be the next to read it). Well what more can I say, heres to waiting for book six, can I wait that long?????

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusually subtle fantasy, 11 April 2001
laurag1581@aol.com (Reading, Berkshire) - See all my reviews
In this, the fifth of the series, Goodkind has created a story that remains engaging as he explores the subtleties of human emotions, loyalty, and trust and relationships both personal and political. Granted it is a much slower paced book than the others in the series, it is however intriguingly subtle with numerous subplots. All our favourite characters remain in the action and the stage is set for another book.
Goodkind has succeeded in creating a book that is both intellectually and philosophically challenging while keeping the epic fantasy plot engaging. You will find less of the hackneyed magic and battle senario here (although they are, of course, still there) and more of a journey into the self. Fantastic. I can't recommend it enough!

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting, very interesting, 4 Feb 2000
This review is from: Soul of the Fire (Hardcover)
I thought this book was really good. It did have parts that i didn't like eg: Zedd lying again and Khalan not trusting Richard (again), but it must be remembered that these characters are Golding's. Other reviewers have criticized the book on failings of the characters but the fact that they have failings makes them more realistic. If they never made any mistakes the book would be over in fifty pages and that wouldn't be much of a read would it! Remember it's not the fact that 'good' beats 'evil', we know that that is going to happen. It's the 'how' of 'good' beating 'evil' that makes it a good book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not the best of Goodkind's work., 26 May 1999
This review is from: Soul of the Fire (Hardcover)
After the cataclysmic events of 'Temple of the Winds,' I was somewhat disappointed by this latest in the Sword of Truth series. The focus moves away from Richard and Kahlan for most of the book, concentrating more on the political maneuvering of the leaders of the Anderith nation. The plot isn't as intricately interwoven as before, and doesn't really pick up until the book's almost finished.
Even with these shortcomings, however, Goodkind's flowing narrative and overall style remain. It's just a pity that the story didn't live up to the book's predecessors.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not up to standard, 21 July 1999
This review is from: Soul of the Fire (Hardcover)
When I started 'Soul of Fire' I had hopes that Goodkind's latest novel in the Sword of Truth series would have even greater literary success than his previous works. Although it is a very good book, I feel that it isn't up to Goodkind usual standard. About half the book is concentrated on Anderith's political situation and it's leaders. This detracts from what's happening to Richard and Kahlan. As a last comment I would ask Goodkind not to almost write Zedd out. He is my favourite character and future novels just wouldn't be the same without him in them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Soul of Fire - More Like Soul of Soap, 28 Oct 2009
S. M. Shaw "Tebo" (UK) - See all my reviews
I am a huge fan of the Sword of Truth series and am avidly reading my way through having just finished Faith of the Fallen. Regrettably, the pace of this book was utterly pedestrian, the sub-plot both shallow and unnecessary and the outcome frustrating. More frustrating was the distrust by some characters, particularly Kahlan, over the Seeker's intuition, despite the fact that it had been proven to be a saviour in countless situations. This is either a blip or the start of an inexorable downward slope as the (previously fantastic) plot runs out of steam.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book will be one of the best in the series, 3 Mar 1999
This review is from: Soul of the Fire (Hardcover)
Lots of people say that Goodkind and Jordan write alike. I have noticed the similarities myself. The truth is that they have the same concepts, but that's where the similarity ends. Goodkind writes with a more easily understandable sense. You don't have to spend all day reading just to get thirty seconds of action. I have read the Sword of Truth series many times and I never get bored. I say to Goodkind, thank you. I love your work and you have inspired me to write as well. Congrats and two thumbs up on the work!

Soul of the Fire (The Sword of Truth #5)