4.0 out of 5 stars Gnomes in danger
Published on 3 Mar. 2012 by Kew

3.0 out of 5 stars Gnome or mr Nice Guy
liked this, read it as the sequel... read Ready Steady Dig first. I am sure I enjoyed it more for reading them in sequence

its just a gentle entertaining story, and I felt I knew the characters already, was good to catch up with them.
Published on 29 Jan. 2012 by Lyra

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Gnome or mr Nice Guy, 29 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Gnome or Mr Nice Guy (The Rooks Ridge Series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Gnomes in danger, 3 Mar. 2012
I read this because I loved the first book in the series, Ready, Steady, Dig! (The Rooks Ridge series). I enjoyed this too but not as much as the first one because I would have liked the lares to be in the story more - they are my favourite characters. This was still a pleasant and amusing read, I loved catching up with the characters that I'd got to know in the first story and I look forward to reading the next in series when it's available.

3.0 out of 5 stars Preferred book 1 but will look out for the third book..., 15 Oct. 2012
Again a pleasant little read and I looked forward to my journeys to and from work, I preferred book one but that is perhaps because it I was new to the author, never the less I will look out for book 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark doings on Rooks Ridge, 3 Jan. 2010
Ann Swinfen - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gnome or Mr Nice Guy (Paperback)
Gnome or Mr Nice Guy is the witty and engaging sequel to Rosalind Winter's delightful Ready, Steady, Dig, and moves affairs in Crowborough on a few years. The Rooks Ridge Roman Villa Museum and Visitors' Centre is now complete and busy with visitors, craft workshops and the newly instituted gladiatorial contests, which DCI Morris hopes will allow the local thugs to work off their aggression in controlled conditions. All our old friends are here: Vera, Bony, Hob, Ronald, and Jim together with the varied and eccentric inhabitants of Crowborough. But there are newcomers too: Bony's `children from Hell', his aging hippy sister, and the mysterious Ned, who arrives on a Harley Davidson. Discreetly present also, but keeping a low profile, are the Lares from the villa, who know more than they are willing to tell. The Christmas season is approaching - or rather, Saturnalia - and polite squabbles about the sort of decorations appropriate in a museum devoted to Roman life are set aside when an extremely valuable gold Roman coin is stolen and a wave of pointless vandalism breaks out. Who is the thief? Who is destroying the Saturnalian sigillae (aka gnomes)? Expect to laugh aloud when you are reading Gnome or Mr Nice Guy, but expect some poignant moments too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A heartwarming winter treat!, 15 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Gnome or Mr Nice Guy (Paperback)
I loved 'Ready, Steady, Dig', and yet I found 'Gnome or Mr Nice Guy' even more enjoyable! The characters are lovable, the setting beautiful, the tale both humorous and mysterious. The ideal seasonal read at Christmas time that can easily be enjoyed all year round. I can hardly wait for the sequel.

Whole-heartedly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good to gnome you, 5 July 2014
A good follow up to Ready, Steady, Dig.
An interesting mix of who done it, gentle comedy and Roman Lares.
Enjoyable easy reading. Great for my holiday.
I'm looking forward to the next installment.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit weaker than the first book, 24 April 2014
This is a harmless sort of book with a simple story. A stranger has come to Rook' s Ridge and all the gnomes that Twigs has made for a Saturnalian Christmas are disappearing. Most of them are being reduced to dust. Who could be behind it and why? Does it have anything to do with a missing gold coin? The story is well put together and the characters are believable but it is still weaker than the first book in the series which has moved on about four years and is set around the visitor centre which sprang up after the discovery of the Roman villa.

4.0 out of 5 stars unique, 7 April 2014
This book is quirky, funny and fairly well written, I really enjoyed it. Good for a light-hearted escapist read, maybe one for the summer holidays.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 5 Mar. 2014
if someone had asked me to read a book about garden gnomes......I would have told them to 'Gnome_off'......!
I read this book simply because I had enjoyed the prequel 'Ready, Steady Dig'
and I must say I am glad that I did.
I found the tale very enjoyable with plenty of laughs tied in between a more serious series of events.
I would recommend reading the books in sequence as the characters seem to grow with each book.
I can't wait to read the next escapade.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read...wish there was more history, 13 Nov. 2013
A fun and easy read but was missing some of her punch and pace, as well as historical context, of Ready, set, dig!'

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›