on 9 October 2013
Having used Macs for a good 20 years I figured I just about knew my way around most Apple equipment. From my G4, G5 desktops to my iBook and on to my latest MacBook Pro with Retina screen, that excludes iPhones and iPods by the dozens, I'd used just about all of them for business and pleasure. That also meant knowing my way around the software including Quark, Photoshop, Corel Draw etc etc. Recently with my new MacBook Pro sitting on my lap I started tapping keys and realised there was so much more this Mac could do, than I knew how to do. Using help and Google helped but I wanted something more hands on friendly, something I could carry around and dip into as and when required, something that didn't take 20 pages to explain and something that didn't assume I am an idiot.
I decided to have a hunt on my Kindle as I had found quite a few good books to help me in the past. I'm glad to say I wasn't disappointed this time either. A quick search for MacBook Pro pulled this book up with many others, some were the "bible" type books that were all singing all dancing headache inducing, pocket reducing door stops. Projects for My First Mac was there in among all the others. It had good reviews, looked nicely laid out and was inexpensive enough that I had to buy it. Now as I explained earlier this is by no means my first Mac but the simple way this book was laid out and the topics it highlighted were exactly what I wanted. Like many of my Mac mates we never used all the potential of our kit and so much was wasted which is such a shame. I'm not going to explain all the projects, in fact I'm not going to explain any of them. This book is so easy I'm going to let the book sell it's self. If you buy this and happen to know how to do all the projects here, then you haven't lost much, however if you find some new things to play with, then you're a winner. Whether you're a complete beginner just moving from Windows based PCs or if you know your way around them already I still say, buy this book now.
on 26 March 2013
Some projects to try to help one become used to the way that Apple computers work. Informative and helpful without too much "wordiness".
on 25 February 2015