on 7 October 2011
After purchasing previous Shakespeare plays for the Kindle I have been left disappointed with the formatting, layout and overall effort. However, this is a brilliant Kindle read, with clear formatting of what character is talking, as well as an easy to navigate contents page.
on 7 March 2011
Some years ago I purchased The Yale Shakespeare at a Barnes and Noble store in America. Though packed with very informative analysis and annotation, it is a huge, unwieldly volume running to over 1,500 pages. You can't take it to bed with you. So I was delighted when I saw that Kindle had brought out the Yale Shakespeare, decribed as "illustrated and annotated with Yale critical analysis".

The trouble is, it is not - annotated, that is. Yes, there is fairly brief (compared with the book) analysis at the end, but there is no annotation. The printed book contains extremely useful annotated comment on almost every line of every play as you read them. There is none here. The bald text of the Bard's work is available extensively as a free download. I had expected much more from this and I was very disappointed.
22 comments|116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 December 2012
Weary, stale, flat and unprofitable - or so it would seem.

"Annotations" should be real: notes next to what they apply to, not hours away.

Tatty formatting.

Merkin spellings.

Wrong words.

Missing illustrations.

Stick with the free version!

Nothing lives up to expectations these days. :-(

I too already have a wrist-breaking but beautiful large-print illustrated version that is hard to put away if taken to bed.
on 6 July 2013
Well, I'm trying to understand Shakespeare. I just wish my Kindle could display somewhere the title of the book I'm reading as and when I'm reading it. When something is bought as a complete works, or collection of books by an author, I start browsing a book to see whether I like it, and then forget which of the collection I'm reading. I wish I knew if there was some way these collections can be split into separate books once purchased?
on 26 June 2013
I tried to download it and it sort of hung. The plays come up as a list, but when I tried to access them, I got the message that it was "not responding" or something like that.

I tried several times, because there were one or two I had never read "Timon of Athens", "Pericles" being the ones I selected - but it was hopeless, so I have mentally written off the 77p or whatever it was
on 30 March 2012
Although this is quite comprehensive, the actual text leaves much to be desired at times. I've only read two of the comedies so far but have found several typos. These are, at best, annoying. For example, in Much Ado, Don Pedro is referred to as 'Don Peter' at first then suddenly becomes Don Pedro. At the end of this play, Don John is described as 'fed and gone' - kind of them to give him a good dinner after all his villainy! Try 'fled and gone', which makes a lot more sense. I do find it irritating that often, a character's name is the bottom line of one page and the actual speech begins on the next. Surely it's not rocket science to match these up so that reading the text flows?
I wouldn't recommend this to anyone needing an accurate text to study the plays.
on 28 March 2012
I found this completely useless unless I have downloaded it on to my kindle wrong!
One can only go through it page by page - and there are 8000!. I cannot book mark or jump chapters. It is impossible to refer to the cast list and I have found no annotation.
A great disappointment
on 10 November 2012
It is not the complete plays. It is the complete tragedies, and I wanted Henry V which is not on it
on 27 May 2013
I recently purchased Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead [DVD] by Tom Stoppard - the movie version starring my fave actor Gary Oldman (The Fifth Element, The Dark Knight, Tinker, Tailor etc). Incredibly funny, and encouraged me to look for more from this playwright. Imagine my surprise when I stumbled across William Shakespeare who apparently wrote the prequel. Wow, what a lot of stuff he wrote! I'd heard of Romeo + Juliet [DVD] [1996] of course, from that wonderful movie by Baz Luhrmann, and I seem to remember being taken from school to the local cinema years ago to watch Roman Polanski's 'Macbeth'. Impressive. I downloaded this ebook straight away. Can't wait to read Shakespeare's version of 'The Barber of Seville' which I'm sure is in here somewhere.
on 8 May 2011
Yes I highly recommend this complete set of Shakespeare plays. The Yale university analysis is first class and gives a balanced analysis of those conspiracy theories of did he didn't he write various plays and so on.
The analysis does highlight with correct authorities of how as a developing writer he and all writers of the day would indeed discover plots and stories on which to base or improve their work. The contents table is excellent.
The analysis also looks at the editors of the times and how they would be responsible in some cases of inaccuracies out of the hands of the play writes of course so you do get a very good detailed overview of how competitive the business side of things was and it does have a feel of the times and what it might have been like as an actor, writer
of the day. Highly recommended. Naturally American spellings are a little distracting but what do you expect.