5.0 out of 5 stars Walking in Ireland Christopher Somerville
Published on 12 May 2011 by Retired Salesman

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the book for me
No, did'nt like this book at all, ordered it then returned it , not what I exspected, bought lonely plant instead
Published 22 months ago by joy

5.0 out of 5 stars Walking in Ireland Christopher Somerville, 12 May 2011
This review is from: Walking in Ireland (Hardcover)
Just come back from a walking holiday in Ireland. I found out about this book just before I left and managed to get a copy through Amazon at the last minute. I have been to Ireland many times and, as Christopher says, there is no great tradition of walking for pleasure over there (this is changing, by the way!). I have often been frustrated at not being able to explore the countryside and books I have bought in the past have not been particularly helpful. All that has changed! Christopher's book is really excellent. I did about 6 of the 50 walks he described and they were all well set out and easy to follow. They are all way-marked and it was impossible to get lost. The walks are of varying difficulty but consistent quality - high. Each walk is described with hand drawings - more detail than this is really not needed because of the way marks - I started by buying the relevant discover series maps but found I really did not need them. There are great little drawings of points of interest and people of interest, two of whom I met on my walks! Christopher also describes what he saw and how he felt while walking the paths himself - a great idea that really adds value to the book. I found myself carrying the book as I walked, reading out the relevant sections to my wife - somewhat dangerous on cliff-top tracks! There are all sorts of walks here - mountains, glens, coastal - all with wonderful views. Summary - great walks and a valuable companion book to take with you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written book., 11 May 2011
This review is from: Walking in Ireland (Kindle Edition)
Christopher's unique writing style paints a wonderful picture of the great variety of walks available across Ireland, both north and south.

This book is beautifully written, seamslessly combining useful walking information, history and local knowledge with Christopher's own personal emotions and inspirations from all four provinces of Ireland.

This book is the perfect companion for anyone interested in exploring Ireland on foot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great walking book, 20 Dec 2011
This review is from: Walking in Ireland (Hardcover)
This is a great little book. I got it for my husband for Christmas and had a peep through it! It is full of actual walk experiences so you know that what he is talking about is authentic.

I hope to get all the walks in over 2 years - will do a walk every fortnight (well, that's my New Year's resolution - we shall see!!)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the book for me, 26 Dec 2012