I have many fitness DVDs including Shred, 10 minute solutions, The Firm and Ministry of Sound Pump it Up. They are excellent and great fun. Many of us have been weaned on these fitness DVDs which have been produced with a lot attention devoted to production quality, image, music and participants with perfect make up, hair styles and lovely nails.

This DVD set...
Published 18 months ago by The Inspired One

3.0 out of 5 stars Can only use it on mute
I should have done a bit more research about this product before I purchased it. Truth be told, I was simply looking for a cheaper alternative to Insanity. (I got what I paid for!) The cover looks great and it looked very professional out of the box. I was very excited to start actually.

Once you put on the DVDs though you realize the poor quality and sound. I...
Published 17 months ago by Karina

5.0 out of 5 stars No thrills workout that is transforming my body - week 5 update, 18 Jan 2013
This review is from: X-TrainFit: At Home Workout [DVD] (DVD)

This DVD set is devoid of all these things. It is a no thrills workout that is focused on old fashion exercise that you can do in your living room. The production quality is amateurish at best (and that is being kind!), the music is dreadful and the people in the DVD look like people you would meet on the street - the women don't even wear make-up and the guys are not I would call hunks.

Despite all these assumed drawbacks, I love this work out because it is basic exercise that has proven the test of time and will get you fit as well as toned in no time. There are 8 DVDs and there are two cardio workouts - cardio and cardio burnout which is more like circuit training. The other DVDs are for chest and back, arms, legs, core and stretch. You follow the programme and do a different DVD each day so the whole body is worked out in a balanced and logical form. In addition, there is a booklet that explains all the exercises and the schedule of the routine. In the booklet, one is also encouraged to record measurements and work out body fat percentage.

There are three, sometimes four, different levels that one can follow. Beginners, intermediate, advance/superfit so this DVD appeals to all fitness levels.

I have been doing this programme for two weeks and have lost 4lb (combined with eating more healthily) and an inch of both waist and thigh. I am fitter, stronger, more toned and have lots of energy. I do the DVDs first thing in the morning at 5.30 am and it sets me up for the rest of the day.

Getting fit and losing weight will not happen overnight and I am prepared to put in the effort to transform my body. After only two weeks, I can visibly see my body transforming. My waist is trimmer, my thighs are firmer and I am really motivated to complete the programme. I can only imagine what my body will look like after 12 weeks. Anybody who says they did not sweat during the cardio must have been sleeping during their workout. How anyone could not sweat doing the advance workout is beyond me. If you put in the effort, you will really feel it.
Another benefit is that one can choose to play the DVD without music, so once I am use to the routine, I will play my own music to make it more interesting.

I will provide periodic updates throughout my training to illustrate my progress.

Feb 4th Feb 2013

I am now on Week 5 and wow, my progress has been phenomenal (for me!). To date, I have lost 1 inch from waist, 2 inch from hips and chest, inch from arm and inch from thigh. I have lost 6 lbs in total. My clothes are much looser and I can see my shape changing as my body is more toned and tighter. I tend to work at the advance level for half the time. That is the beauty of this work out. I just mix and match depending on how I feel.

In circuit burn out, for the set of exercises where you do plank, press up, mountain climbers, squat, thrusts (burpees) and lunges, and count down from 10 repeats all the way down to 2 repeats for successive sets, I am able to do the advanced sets with full press ups and mountain climbers for all sets. I still find burpees tough and do half the amount but do them at advanced level but that is more than I did before.

I am also drinking more water as I push myself.

I look forward to my morning workouts and have not missed any. My husband is really impressed with my commitment. I am doing this for me and loving every minute of it because I can see and feel the results.

I will give another update when I reach the 10 week mark.

21st March 2013

It is the first day of spring and I am in the final week (WEEK 12) of X-Train fit. For the last few weeks I have had to use the mute button and played my own music. Also fastwarded to avoid the breaks and explanations so that saved time too. Anyway, I have lost three inches from my waist and 2 inches from hips and dropped 12lb. My body has toned up and I have dropped a dress size.

I have enjoyed doing this set of exercises but I need a change. I will come back to the DVD set but in the interim I will do other DVDs, go running and just generally move more. However, I plan to do the Circuit training once week as this to me is a measure of fitness and I really enjoy these set of exercises.

I went running yesterday and my running is faster and lasts longer. My overall fitness is so much more than it was when I started this programe. The great lesson that I have taken from doing these workouts is that you have to put the effort in to see the changes that you want and to benefit from the programme. You cannot change your body significantly in 10 minutes a day. With these workouts, you give your body a complete and intense workout and that is how real changes will happen, as I can personally testify.

The other thing I have gained is a habit. I now wake up and think about exercising. It is now part of my routine to get up, exercise and then get ready. It is a habit that has changed my life. My husband is really impressed with my commitment and I have to admit, so am I!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A cheaper and intense workout ste, 20 Jan 2013
This review is from: X-TrainFit: At Home Workout [DVD] (DVD)
I have both the Insanity Beachbody dvd set and this one. I find Stephanie Oram to be really fun and informative. The DVDs are not as polished as their more expensive rivals, but I actually find that adds to the charm. There is far more emphasis on improving from the level you're at than on trying to push yourself beyond your current fitness. The DVDs give modifications so that you can do an easier or more difficult version. There is a mixture of bodyweight, handweights, resistance band, step and gym ball options and you do not need to own all of the equipment as there are options shown for each, although handweights are a definite advantage and a towel or mat. There is a programme to follow and a booklet with guidance and illustrations of which muscle groups are worked by each exercise. I would recommend this for all fitness levels - you can follow a low impact version, build up to doing the whole workout over time, but they are challenging enough with the right equipment for seriously fit people to benefit. I love the functional fitness parts - there are sports-style cardio sections.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound back2basics comprehensive workout that does the job!, 9 April 2012
dawn (cleethorpes, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: X-TrainFit: At Home Workout [DVD] (DVD)
I'd been looking for an affordable workout that wasn't pitched at an elite athlete level, like the ones I'd already heard about, when I just stumbled across this. Seemed a real steal for the price, so nothing really to be lost if I didn't get on with it. I have to say it's probably the best value for money DVD set I've ever purchased. And it does what it says, if you stick at it. I finished the 12 week programme yesterday - and wow, has there been some change! Considering my circumstances, this is pretty amazing. I'd done no exercise for 2 years following a back injury, and as a result put on 2 stones too. I was very unfit and pretty overweight. I also have some other problems to work round - as well as having to be cautious with my back, I have joint issues in my ankles and hips, so any plyometrics or sudden movements are out. This means I have to modify a lot of exercises to be safe, suitable but still effective. This fit the bill.
This programme is really flexible and adaptable - there are four levels of challenge, and many modifications, so it means Everyone can do it. For most of it I could only do level 1 - and at the start even that was too much! Space was very limited - I only have room for a yoga mat - but it is doable in a tight space. Too many workouts rely on you having a giant lounge, but there are no worries here. You could even do it in a bedsit! I didn't have weights either - but a set of 3 wide resistance bands and a set of 5 resistance tubes meant I could add a bit more challenge every few weeks and still progress. There are some band options on the DVDs too - as long as you know what muscles you are working, it is easy to adapt the exercises that don't employ them on the DVD. The only other bits of kit you need are a couple of small cloths or dusters (or a flat plastic plate) - I'll spare you the reason why! It'll hurt when you find out but be worth it! Oh, and water - always have lots of water on standby.
If you are looking for the latest music, pretty-pretty editing and funky moves from the current fad classes with big, unsubstantiated claims (you know the ones I mean) - go elsewhere!! This is the real deal. Simple, tried and trusted basic exercises (with a few nice variations I'd not seen before) that do the business. Yes, you'll do lunges, thrusts and squats. Because they work! This won't date and will still be useful to you in a few years, those faddy DVDs will have come and gone. If you don't like it, then really you have to face up to not liking sound, sensible exercise. And you will probably never stick at any fitness programme. Harsh, but realistic I feel. Do you still want results? Read on.
Here's why this one worked for me where others didn't. There's 8 DVDs - so you're getting a good variety of workouts. The programme itself changes every few weeks too. There's a `music off' option - so once you've had a couple of run-throughs and really got to know the exercises, you can put your favourite music on loud and just enjoy it, not necessarily realising you are exercising at times. This was key for me! There's also lots of sectioning - each exercise block only lasts 5-10minutes, so you can hit pause and grab a break when you need it. It took me weeks before I could do more than 15minutes of Circuit Burnout without sitting down for 5 minute breaks between sections! It's not full of irritating stuff - you know some DVDs grate after a few plays because the instructor is annoying? No problems here. The instructor is firm and encouraging not in your face and shouty. The instructor is American, but there are no `problems in translation' if you're a Brit - you know how some workouts just don't travel - well, there's no whooping etc here! There are 3 others working at different levels to demonstrate the other modifications too. It's clear they are doing it for real. One teeny gripe is that there is no reversal of directions - however, at times this is understandable if the camera takes a side view. No matter - you soon get used to their right being your left etc.
I'd strongly recommend anyone to get this and stick at it. It is a challenge - of course, but if you follow the DVDs and listen to the advice in the book, it's all you need. I have a gym membership, but won't go when I'm overweight as my confidence is crushed by seeing the skinnies - so this was what I needed to get back into action! Don't be fooled - it's not easy - and you will have a real rollercoaster of emotions, energy and motivation - you may hate a workout one week but then as it gets easier, you start to enjoy it. Really! You'll be stiff at the start. Expect this and just get on with it! It's 12 weeks long, but I'd suggest you take 13, and have a `walk through' week when you just play and watch the DVDs and check your form, level etc. Take the challenge - do the starting fitness tests, take your pictures/measurements (I took a picture every day from a standard position in the room, and date stamped them to make it easier), upload them to the site, and if you need help/motivation, email the instructors! At the end of the 12 weeks, I have lost all my jiggly bits, I'm toned up all over, and my belly podge has gone - is that abs I see starting to show? I didn't diet at all, and only did the plan at the lowest level, but still got good results. For me it wasn't so much weight/inch loss, rather, building toned muscle and fitness, and getting the exercise habit back. I do look and feel so better. Can't believe I managed it (especially with a very demanding job and long hours which meant I was having to workout at 9 or 10pm at night, or occasionally swap the order to do a shorter one/move one extra to the weekend if time was pressured), but if I can do it anyone can - get it, or regret it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Can only use it on mute, 8 Feb 2013
This review is from: X-TrainFit: At Home Workout [DVD] (DVD)

Once you put on the DVDs though you realize the poor quality and sound. I was a bit disappointed at first but I figured okay, it's doable. Then the instructor opened her mouth. Ugh! I have never heard a fitness instructor be more annoying than this woman before. She probably forgot that people will be doing these workouts more than once and listening to her go on about how 'sarcasm is her first language' or about how we should go at our own level until we can workout like 'the normal people' really irks me. She is annoying! She also talks A LOT! Normally as you do a workout the instructor tells you how to do the movement-not this lady! She takes minutes to explain how to do a side shuffle..lol By the time she is done blabbing your body has gone cold.

There are 4 levels you can follow, with each of her colleagues doing a sample of each. So typically you would tell your audience to follow the person you think is at your level. But she takes minutes to show you the exercise at each level herself-then the sequence for that rep set. (She must think her audience is very dumb, indeed.) These workout DVDs could have been shortened if they had practiced first what each person was supposed to do at every level (not just wing it like it seems they did) and allowed people to learn as they did the workout. If she really had to be the centre of attention, she could have also provided a step by step video showing how to do that complicated side shuffle for anyone who wants a tutorial of every movement. It just seemed pointless to me.

The workouts and routines themselves are OK. You do a lot of repetitions and some of the workouts are very long. They definitely keep you moving and sweating if you, again, press the mute button and manage to complete them and use the fast forward button to skip her yapping. These had potential had they not used the obnoxious high school cheerleader as the trainer. All I'm saying.

I rather she spent more time motivating than trying to be sarcastic, demeaning people's abilities, commenting on her other colleagues unshaven legs, or 'taking away man cards' of the two males doing the workout. We know! she is the star or her fitness videos! We know, she can do it better than us mere mortals..! oh dear..did I just go sarcastic on her now too? It's catching.

5.0 out of 5 stars This really kicks your butt, 2 Oct 2012
This review is from: X-TrainFit: At Home Workout [DVD] (DVD)
I've been working out for years, at least 5-6 times a week. Done Jillian Michaels, zumba, Paul Katami etc. They are all good and I thought I am in pretty nice shape.
I've lost about 30 kgs in 3 years but I haven't seen any change in past months. Until Stephanie came.

I want my workouts to be tough, I want to sweat -and boy, these are tough and I truly sweat. I've done about two weeks of this 12 week program and -I don't know if it's possible- seeing some changes already. My arms look way nicer and -what on earth- abs! Yes, I will have six-pack in no time.

Stephanie is crazy, demanding but in a good way. There are modifications but I do usually stage 4 (except push ups). Give it a go especially if you are already more or less in shape but still in need for some more kick!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Workouts, Great Results!!!, 20 Sep 2012
This review is from: X-TrainFit: At Home Workout [DVD] (DVD)
I wanted to purchase P90X, but the price just put me off!!! So I looked around for an alternative and came across the X-TrainFit at Home DVDs. I can honestly say these DVDs are awesome. Stephanie and her team provide you with a series of workouts that pack a punch. If you are serious about getting fit and healthy through exercise, then I couldn't recommend it to you more!

What is really great about these workouts is firstly, the trainer Stephanie provides you with different levels, so anyone can start working out. All you have to do is follow the level you can achieve and move up a level when your fitness improves. I haven't exercised due to a ongoing illness for about two years, so I chose level 1. Level 1 was hard for me, but my family members have been doing these workouts with me and they are coping well with levels 1 & 2 whilst being challenged. I just do my best and have already noticed that I am improving quickly!

Secondly, the trainer Stephanie is encouraging, funny and more importantly NOT annoying. I often find trainers of workout DVDs to sometimes ruin the workout by being irritating. However, Stephanie is a natural and actually made me laugh. She had a way to keeping me going even when it was hard. Also, you can do the workouts without music, so I have been putting on my favourite music while I follow the DVD.

Lastly, the DVD pack contains a plan to follow for 12 weeks. This is great for someone like me who wants direction. Another great thing about this is that even after 12 weeks you can still continue using the DVDs. For instance, I am at level one now but I want to get my fitness up to the Taylor level. Basically, Taylor is one of the team on the DVDs and she is he highest level on there, which is awesome.

These workouts will challenge you, but the results are worth it! Great buy, thanks to Stephanie and her team!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Series, 10 July 2012
This review is from: X-TrainFit: At Home Workout [DVD] (DVD)
I have Insanity workout and although I love it, I find the some of the exercises, such as moving push up etc too challenging. I bought X Train fit to see what this had to offer. I have to say I love it. It is as challenging as Insanity but it is easier to follow as you are shown modifications to all of the exercises. You still end up drenched in sweat and feeling like you have had a real workout but the pace isnt as frantic as Insanity. I would definately recommend this exercise program.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feeling fitter already, 9 Jan 2012
This review is from: X-TrainFit: At Home Workout [DVD] (DVD)
I have a fair few training videos and I was looking for something that would push me but wouldn't make a hole in my pocket. I read the reviews on this product and made my own decision to give it a try. I can honestly say that it's brilliant and I have already recommended it to my friends and colleagues as a "must have" for your exercise library. One thing I noticed after only doing the cardio workout three times is that I can achieve more longevity in my running. I run around 4 - 5 times a week and the cardio workouts have helped massively with my running. I'm not kidding!! I'm more toned as well which was something I was definitely looking for. What is also great is that I know I'm going to get a good workout so I enjoy doing it before going to work in the morning and it sets me up for the day. I'm following level 2 (with the odd 3 in there) and hope to get to the top level soon. I know we all have different views for workouts, but give this a go. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. If you don't like it - sell it on - because someone will thank you for it. Looking forward to my workout tomorrow morning and my run tomorrow night. Thanks to Stef and the girls, I'm not easily pleased nor impressed but honestly? Really pleased with this one!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money if you don't mind "old school" production, 5 Aug 2013
Ripple (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: X-TrainFit: At Home Workout [DVD] (DVD)
While X-Train Fit at Home may have some weaknesses, it is exceptional value for money. True, it's not for the hyper fit (the Insanity, Tapout fans etc) but that is partly its strength - it is suited to a wide range of fitness levels - more on that in a minute. It's certainly no-frill but unlike no-frill airlines, it will get you close to your destination. Ignore the "for women" bit of the title too - exercise is gender neutral - although it is more focussed on toning than bulking up.

It's a 12 week programme of routines; nominally the first 3 are Fat Shred, the second six are Strength and Burn and the final three are Finalization. The workouts are the same, but you do them in different frequencies and orders. There's enough variation to keep the interest up.

What is not included, but you will need, are:

a mat
either some light to medium dumbbell sets and/or a light/ medium exercise band
willpower.

The latter is critical. Some reviews here have said that they didn't sweat after the cardio workout - well that either means they were not pushing themselves to their limits or they have a potentially serious medical condition. Of course you can coast these - but what's the point in that? The weights sessions not challenging? Pick a heavier weight then.

There IS one downside to this programme compared with say a celeb fitness or a Jillian Michaels say and that's that some of the routines are quite long and in the final three weeks this is compounded as workouts are stacked. To give you one example, you will be doing the circuit twice a week in the middle six weeks and that runs to 1hr 20 mins. That's a fairly large time commitment.

All the cardio and weight DVDs are led by Stephanie but the backing team do vary. The star of these is in the Cardio and Circuit routines - Taylor. Imagine the love child of Tigger and the Duracell Bunny but beware - if you get caught watching her swinging pony tail, I suspect you could get hypnotized! If you are the type who sweats going to the fridge, there is Mary who provides a much slower modification. In fact this is the strength of the course - there are always two or three and sometimes four modifications of each exercise so you can find your level - but do push yourself. What you will think of of Stephanie is of course a matter of personal opinion. She's less shouty than a Jillian Micheals for example, but her teasing of her team irritates some and is seen as negative. If you are pushing yourself you probably should hate your trainer a bit, and I didn't find her too annoying at all. There are a few odd moments like when she says "if your room is larger than ours" and you think "er, you are in a gym. If my house was bigger than a gym, I'd be able to hire you personally!" Of course there is repetition but that's an inherent problem with DVDs - the trick is to put so much effort into your workout that you hardly notice. There are one or two moments as the course goes on when she does rabbit on a bit rather than getting started but there's nothing to stop you doing a few extra reps.

The routines are:

Cardio (54 mins) - good but a little repetitive.
Circuit (1hr 20) - daunting at first but good, if repetitive, thereafter. It's based on a 60 second, 45 second, 30 second cycle and is a little heavy on the wrists. Was my favourite DVD though.
Arms (49 mins)
Legs (53 mins)
Chest and Back (1hr 3 mins)
Core (54 mins)
Yoga (41 mins) - challenging - don't expect a nice easy relax.
Stretch (26 mins) - very poor as the leader doesn't explain moves to the point that it could be damaging if you do it wrong. As long as you know a few good stretches, I'd ignore this one. It's bad.

Overall, it's lighter on warm up and cool down than I was expecting, particularly cool downs. Because you are spending long periods on one part of your body, they do get challenging and the rotation allows your body to recover. There is a rest day in the middle six weeks (where you can do the yoga) but otherwise it's a 7 day routine.

It's not perfect, but in terms of value for money, it's excellent. What is sacrificed to allow this value? Well production quality is absent. The music is awful but there is an option to mute the music (use it!) which many others don't have which turns this into a plus. The camera work is a bit 1970s - it's shakey (think "Blair Witch Project") and the bar that tells you the move is so far down the screen that it's almost unreadable. So it doesn't look wonderful. The studio is not some trendy loft, but the corner of the local gym - and as a result it's a bit cramped as they have to avoid the gym mirrors. There's not great revolutionary idea here - just proven exercises that do work. If you want something to look great, don't watch an exercise DVD! (One reviewer here complained that the participants clearly didn't wear make up - yeah, cos it's proven that lipstick increases cardio effectiveness!)

It's not without fault but all things considered, this is great value at and definitely recommended. As for results, expect body shape changes (noticeable after about 4 weeks). Weight change is dependent on your starting position, diet, metabolism etc and generally not a good measure of effectiveness. Body fat reduction should be achieved though if you put in the effort although I did find myself doing a bit of extra cardio on resistance days.

I didn't find it hard on knees, but wrists take a pounding due to press ups, planks etc.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, 18 Jan 2013
This review is from: X-TrainFit: At Home Workout [DVD] (DVD)
I had high hopes for this DVd but am really disappointed. Stephanie is quite likeable but the actual DVD's are not professionally put together. It is shame because Stephanie obviously knows her stuff but it is quite boring and really not at all fun.

X-TrainFit: At Home Workout [DVD]
X-TrainFit: At Home Workout [DVD] by Stephanie Oram (DVD - 2014)
14.99