I have many fitness DVDs including Shred, 10 minute solutions, The Firm and Ministry of Sound Pump it Up. They are excellent and great fun. Many of us have been weaned on these fitness DVDs which have been produced with a lot attention devoted to production quality, image, music and participants with perfect make up, hair styles and lovely nails.

This DVD set...
Published on 18 Jan. 2013 by The Inspired One

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit off-the-wall but ok
Published 13 months ago by Keller

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit off-the-wall but ok, 9 May 2014
This review is from: X-TrainFit: At Home Workout [DVD] (DVD)
I use this DVD set so I can't really complain about it too much. I'm not bothered at all by the production quality like some of the other reviews have mentioned. I'm here to train not watch Hollywood blockbusters so I don't care about that. The music is rubbish but then it usually is on fitness DVDs and you have the option to turn the music off, which is a blessing, I wish they had this feature on every fitness DVD.

I've marked it at 3-stars for the following reasons:

Pros:

1. When I do these workouts, I really feel it the next day so it's definitely working. It's challenging so for that reason alone I'll carry on doing them.

2. It includes a yoga DVD and a stretching DVD. As someone who weight-trains a lot, these DVDs are god-send for easing muscle aches and getting myself back in the game after hard sessions.

3. You can turn the music off - brilliant

4. There are different fitness levels shown in the video, so if you're a beginner pick the person doing the easy version, if you're advanced pick the advanced person. It isn't the same people in each video though so it isn't always easy to tell immediately who is working at your level, but once you've done it a few times, you know who to follow.

5. The box is smart, so they've put some effort into the presentation.

6. There's a booklet with a diary etc in it. I never bother with these but some people like them.

7. I've learned some new moves, thought I had seen everything by now but there are some exercises in here I haven't come across before so that was a bonus.

Cons:

1. She never stops talking! Jesus! Please just be quiet for a minute.

2. She is horribly sexist. She makes fairly rude comments about the guy in the group Cory ALL OF THE TIME. But it isn't just him, she will literally pick on everyone there, who I assume are her friends that she's roped into doing this. I get the impression that she's a bit of a tomboy and perhaps this affects the way she interacts with them, but god women, just leave them alone, they are doing a good job!

3. The sessions are really really long. 80mins for a cardio workout, are you serious? Who has time for that? If I had 80mins spare to exercise, I would have gone for a run or gone to the gym but 80mins in my living room? I don't always finish them to be honest because I just run out of time. I'm sure you could cut it down to 60mins by cutting out all of her talking. She actually stops exercising to talk to you at some points. I'm usually shouting at the tv by this point.

4. Some of the exercises are just ridiculous. I think it's in the legs DVD, where she gets you to use a towel on hardwood floor or an upside bowl on carpet floors to do a certain exercise - there has to be an easier way! Surely, surely there is an alternative to this exercise that doesn't require looking like an idiot and breaking your back to work that particular muscle. Considering there are alternatives for a lot of exercises in these DVDs, not finding one for a really awkward exercise seems like a massive oversight. My dad couldn't do this and he's really fit and healthy. I usually just ignore it and do something else until it's finished.

Overall verdict 3-stars - because despite how much it annoys me, I do feel the benefit of it and it's worth it just to save yourself from buying all the DVDs separately.

5.0 out of 5 stars No thrills workout that is transforming my body - week 5 update, 18 Jan. 2013
This review is from: X-TrainFit: At Home Workout [DVD] (DVD)

This DVD set is devoid of all these things. It is a no thrills workout that is focused on old fashion exercise that you can do in your living room. The production quality is amateurish at best (and that is being kind!), the music is dreadful and the people in the DVD look like people you would meet on the street - the women don't even wear make-up and the guys are not I would call hunks.

Despite all these assumed drawbacks, I love this work out because it is basic exercise that has proven the test of time and will get you fit as well as toned in no time. There are 8 DVDs and there are two cardio workouts - cardio and cardio burnout which is more like circuit training. The other DVDs are for chest and back, arms, legs, core and stretch. You follow the programme and do a different DVD each day so the whole body is worked out in a balanced and logical form. In addition, there is a booklet that explains all the exercises and the schedule of the routine. In the booklet, one is also encouraged to record measurements and work out body fat percentage.

There are three, sometimes four, different levels that one can follow. Beginners, intermediate, advance/superfit so this DVD appeals to all fitness levels.

I have been doing this programme for two weeks and have lost 4lb (combined with eating more healthily) and an inch of both waist and thigh. I am fitter, stronger, more toned and have lots of energy. I do the DVDs first thing in the morning at 5.30 am and it sets me up for the rest of the day.

Getting fit and losing weight will not happen overnight and I am prepared to put in the effort to transform my body. After only two weeks, I can visibly see my body transforming. My waist is trimmer, my thighs are firmer and I am really motivated to complete the programme. I can only imagine what my body will look like after 12 weeks. Anybody who says they did not sweat during the cardio must have been sleeping during their workout. How anyone could not sweat doing the advance workout is beyond me. If you put in the effort, you will really feel it.
Another benefit is that one can choose to play the DVD without music, so once I am use to the routine, I will play my own music to make it more interesting.

I will provide periodic updates throughout my training to illustrate my progress.

Feb 4th Feb 2013

I am now on Week 5 and wow, my progress has been phenomenal (for me!). To date, I have lost 1 inch from waist, 2 inch from hips and chest, inch from arm and inch from thigh. I have lost 6 lbs in total. My clothes are much looser and I can see my shape changing as my body is more toned and tighter. I tend to work at the advance level for half the time. That is the beauty of this work out. I just mix and match depending on how I feel.

In circuit burn out, for the set of exercises where you do plank, press up, mountain climbers, squat, thrusts (burpees) and lunges, and count down from 10 repeats all the way down to 2 repeats for successive sets, I am able to do the advanced sets with full press ups and mountain climbers for all sets. I still find burpees tough and do half the amount but do them at advanced level but that is more than I did before.

I am also drinking more water as I push myself.

I look forward to my morning workouts and have not missed any. My husband is really impressed with my commitment. I am doing this for me and loving every minute of it because I can see and feel the results.

I will give another update when I reach the 10 week mark.

21st March 2013

It is the first day of spring and I am in the final week (WEEK 12) of X-Train fit. For the last few weeks I have had to use the mute button and played my own music. Also fastwarded to avoid the breaks and explanations so that saved time too. Anyway, I have lost three inches from my waist and 2 inches from hips and dropped 12lb. My body has toned up and I have dropped a dress size.

I have enjoyed doing this set of exercises but I need a change. I will come back to the DVD set but in the interim I will do other DVDs, go running and just generally move more. However, I plan to do the Circuit training once week as this to me is a measure of fitness and I really enjoy these set of exercises.

I went running yesterday and my running is faster and lasts longer. My overall fitness is so much more than it was when I started this programe. The great lesson that I have taken from doing these workouts is that you have to put the effort in to see the changes that you want and to benefit from the programme. You cannot change your body significantly in 10 minutes a day. With these workouts, you give your body a complete and intense workout and that is how real changes will happen, as I can personally testify.

The other thing I have gained is a habit. I now wake up and think about exercising. It is now part of my routine to get up, exercise and then get ready. It is a habit that has changed my life. My husband is really impressed with my commitment and I have to admit, so am I!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended!! Great workout Routine!!, 23 April 2013
This review is from: X-TrainFit: At Home Workout [DVD] (DVD)
It's brilliant how they show 4 different levels of each exercise throughout - Ideal for all people of any fitness level.

Circuit Burnout is intense and you will need a foot stall, it's the longest DVD of the box set and is brilliant! Works every muscule in the body. Includes squat thrusts, mountain climbers, plank, lunges, heel taps, high knee jumps and many more, great heart raiser and calorie burner.

Cardio - another great DVD, this is our fave! Pure cardio, great sweat fest! I keep up with Taylor level but boy it leaves you feeling like you've done a brilliant workout and burnt some mega calories! The whole dvd is set so you do 3 different exercises, i.e. Star jumps, then mock jump rope then spotty dogs for 60 seconds, then for 45 seconds, then repeat for a final 30 seconds. This also includes ski jumps, high knees, squat jumps, side jumps, squat thrusts and many more. Just as good as Nell McAndrews this DVD.

Hard Core focuses on the core and abs, real hard at first but it really strengthens your tummy and gives you great definition on the abs. You do planks and sit ups and also need paper papers to stand on in your plank position and then you pull our knees in to the chest and out - It's SO HARD but so great! You build up to it.

Chest & Back Focuses on the upper body. You will need weights and a resistant band - Defines back, chest and shoulders, at first I was skeptic to do this because I did not want to tone my shoulders etc and look all like a 'manly body builder' however, far from it, the exercises are really well performed to give you tone and definition in your back chest and shoulders but not too much.

XTF Legs focuses on the legs, squats, lunges, exercises to tone the glutes and hamstrings and you will need a resistance band to walk side to side on (does the outer thighs - BRILLIANT) Great workout to tone the legs and bum. Love this dvd also. and makes you sweat!

XTF Arms focuses on well the arms obviously, using weights throughout the whole session working biceps, triceps, forearms, shoulders. I find this little bit boring, I don't like working my upper body personally but mum does so we did stick to the exercise programme which comes with the boxset and it has made my arms so much stronger and I HAVE THESE THINGS CALLED MUSCULES and it's properly got rid of the bingo wings. Recommended for anyone who hates their arms!! Really suprised by this.

Yoga - I love this - really helps strengthen the muscules and you still sweat!!

Stretch Recover - We've never done this so I can't comment on it.

Each DVD has a countdown timer at the bottom of the screen so it makes you work harder and keep working because you can see how long is left and you can't give up! It's a great workout programme, we've started Insanity now that mums built up her fitness and yes the workout is insane!! XFit-Train is not as good as Insanity however..For the price, it is a brilliant alterative. Would recommend to anyone of any fitness level! Even those runners - it really helps build stamina in your running. Honestly! Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 10 Jan. 2013
This review is from: X-TrainFit: At Home Workout [DVD] (DVD)
I have just received this and am very impressed so far. I have looked at the Px90 and similar but have never been able to justify the cost. I was very surprised to find this at this sort of price bracket so was a little wary in case it wasn't up to much.

The DVD comes with a quick start guide, a wall planner and a detailed handbook. The wallplanner has space for your before and after pictures and for you to jot down what workout you are doing each day. The quickstart guide tells you which workout you will do at a glance.

The handbook gives you an overview of the system, details of which muscles are being worked with different exercises, charts to record measurements and charts to record your progress with each workout. There is also a surprisingly informative section on healthy nutrition.

The DVD's are supplied in a sturdy case which impressed me as sometimes multi DVD sets can be in the flimsiest of packaging.

There are 8 DVD's and in the first 3 weeks you concentrate on fat burning, weeks 4-9 is a strength and burn focus and weeks 10-12 are the hardest to finish off the programme.

The DVDs can be played with or without music to allow you to play your own tunes. Each exercise is demonstrated, and the names are listed on the screen. You also have a clock showing time remaining on the whole workout, and time remaining for the section you are doing.

One of the things I am most impressed with is the modifications. Along with Stephanie there are three other people doing the DVD - one for each level. You can pick the level that is a challenge for you and work it along with your chosen person. Because each version is always visible it is easy to do this.

Overall I am very impressed with it so far. If you are relatively new to this sort of workout, or would like a circuit style workout to do at home it is well worth it. Because of the modifications I think even if you are very fit you would still find the sessions challenging.

I'm planning to complete the 12 week programme and will try and update this review when I've done it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 2 April 2015
This review is from: X-TrainFit: At Home Workout [DVD] (DVD)
Putting aside the very poor production, the people doing the workout looking like they had been dragged off the street and the sections are very long (one being 1hr 20 mins!) There is no way this is a quick workout... However, it works you very hard, you definitely get a sweat on and you ache so bad afterwards and i think the results will be noticable very quikly.

It gets to the point and does what you want it to do... a fancy set and glamorous extras wont get you fit - this dvd will!

Definitely worth trying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Failsafe exercise regime if you have the time, 1 May 2015
This review is from: X-TrainFit: At Home Workout [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this to try and get back in shape after pregnancy. In all honesty I was hoping to be perfect by the end of the three months. I stuck to the schedule exactly as the booklet described and have lost three inches from my waist, hips and chest. The exercises are exactly what my personal trainer used to give me (seriously this DVD is a damn sight cheaper).
The only negative I would say is that if you follow the plan and do these DVDs everyday it does feel like you have no time for anything else! This for me is coupled with looking after a baby and the lack of time I already have anyway so without the baby aspect, if you're serious about getting fit and in shape then there's no stopping you 😉

4.0 out of 5 stars looks can be decptive....., 22 Jan. 2013
This review is from: X-TrainFit: At Home Workout [DVD] (DVD)
I have a few workout DVD's and have always gone for the celebrity of the moment.. Then as most people, watched it once and put it in a cupboard to forgot all about it..
I haven't been to the gym for a while, and decided something really needed to be done, i didn't want to pay for membership i would probably only use once or twice, so decided to look for a non-fad workout dvd.
I stumbled across this quite by accident and having read some of the reviews decided it was just what i needed.
I haven't followed this religiously everyday and i probably haven't done these in the order they are meant to be done..
the first one i tried was the legs (going skiing in a few weeks so thought i needed to improve that part the most. At first i thought it seemed quite easy and got into the flow of it, time went very quickly and before i knew it i had done my first class.. i can honestly say i was a bit disappointed and somewhat smug thinking it really didn't hurt that much, the next day was a whole different story! i was in agony for several days, parts of me i never knew existed hurt!.
I've managed to carry on, although as said i'm only doing these twice a week and alternating which one i do every time, i'm also walking to work and home which is another hour of exercise every day.. yes i'm breaking myself in gently.
I have combined this with a better eating plan, and after 2 week i can notice a very real difference. just imagine what i would feel like if i had followed this to the letter...... perhaps after my holiday.
enjoy if you do buy this, i can highly recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Can only use it on mute, 8 Feb. 2013
This review is from: X-TrainFit: At Home Workout [DVD] (DVD)
I should have done a bit more research about this product before I purchased it. Truth be told, I was simply looking for a cheaper alternative to Insanity. (I got what I paid for!) The cover looks great and it looked very professional out of the box. I was very excited to start actually.

Once you put on the DVDs though you realize the poor quality and sound. I was a bit disappointed at first but I figured okay, it's doable. Then the instructor opened her mouth. Ugh! I have never heard a fitness instructor be more annoying than this woman before. She probably forgot that people will be doing these workouts more than once and listening to her go on about how 'sarcasm is her first language' or about how we should go at our own level until we can workout like 'the normal people' really irks me. She is annoying! She also talks A LOT! Normally as you do a workout the instructor tells you how to do the movement-not this lady! She takes minutes to explain how to do a side shuffle..lol By the time she is done blabbing your body has gone cold.

There are 4 levels you can follow, with each of her colleagues doing a sample of each. So typically you would tell your audience to follow the person you think is at your level. But she takes minutes to show you the exercise at each level herself-then the sequence for that rep set. (She must think her audience is very dumb, indeed.) These workout DVDs could have been shortened if they had practiced first what each person was supposed to do at every level (not just wing it like it seems they did) and allowed people to learn as they did the workout. If she really had to be the centre of attention, she could have also provided a step by step video showing how to do that complicated side shuffle for anyone who wants a tutorial of every movement. It just seemed pointless to me.

The workouts and routines themselves are OK. You do a lot of repetitions and some of the workouts are very long. They definitely keep you moving and sweating if you, again, press the mute button and manage to complete them and use the fast forward button to skip her yapping. These had potential had they not used the obnoxious high school cheerleader as the trainer. All I'm saying.

I rather she spent more time motivating than trying to be sarcastic, demeaning people's abilities, commenting on her other colleagues unshaven legs, or 'taking away man cards' of the two males doing the workout. We know! she is the star or her fitness videos! We know, she can do it better than us mere mortals..! oh dear..did I just go sarcastic on her now too? It's catching.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cheaper and intense workout ste, 20 Jan. 2013
This review is from: X-TrainFit: At Home Workout [DVD] (DVD)
I have both the Insanity Beachbody dvd set and this one. I find Stephanie Oram to be really fun and informative. The DVDs are not as polished as their more expensive rivals, but I actually find that adds to the charm. There is far more emphasis on improving from the level you're at than on trying to push yourself beyond your current fitness. The DVDs give modifications so that you can do an easier or more difficult version. There is a mixture of bodyweight, handweights, resistance band, step and gym ball options and you do not need to own all of the equipment as there are options shown for each, although handweights are a definite advantage and a towel or mat. There is a programme to follow and a booklet with guidance and illustrations of which muscle groups are worked by each exercise. I would recommend this for all fitness levels - you can follow a low impact version, build up to doing the whole workout over time, but they are challenging enough with the right equipment for seriously fit people to benefit. I love the functional fitness parts - there are sports-style cardio sections.

5.0 out of 5 stars This really kicks your butt, 2 Oct. 2012
This review is from: X-TrainFit: At Home Workout [DVD] (DVD)
I've been working out for years, at least 5-6 times a week. Done Jillian Michaels, zumba, Paul Katami etc. They are all good and I thought I am in pretty nice shape.
I've lost about 30 kgs in 3 years but I haven't seen any change in past months. Until Stephanie came.

I want my workouts to be tough, I want to sweat -and boy, these are tough and I truly sweat. I've done about two weeks of this 12 week program and -I don't know if it's possible- seeing some changes already. My arms look way nicer and -what on earth- abs! Yes, I will have six-pack in no time.

Stephanie is crazy, demanding but in a good way. There are modifications but I do usually stage 4 (except push ups). Give it a go especially if you are already more or less in shape but still in need for some more kick!

X-TrainFit: At Home Workout [DVD]
X-TrainFit: At Home Workout [DVD] by Stephanie Oram (DVD - 2014)