on 16 July 2009
I have been programming in VBA in its various forms for many years and bought this book to use as a reference rather than a beginners guide. I was well pleased with it as it was easy to find the appropriate sections and allowed me to identify changes from an earlier version. It would also be excellent as a beginners book as it progresses in easy stages with no need for much previous knowledge, it does assume computer and microsoft knowledge at a fairly basic level however I do not think that anyone is going to embark on or even know VBA exists without this basic knowledge.
on 3 December 2011
This book certainly assumes you know quite a bit about Access so not sure it's that great for anyone who doesn't have that basic knowledge AND some understanding of Logic and programming concepts. In some ways I found it too basic and in others not comprehensive enough in terms of the explanations. The samples help but still leave a lot of unanswered questions in my mind. I think there's not enough explanation of how to really use the VBA programming window(s) and their associated help facilities, which really are the key to learning the syntax and keywords. The examples used are not particularly relevant in my opinion and I could think of better sample solutions. However, it does give a good "broad brush" overview and if you persevere you will have the basics to move forward.

I wish there was a reference to an associated online web-site where you could ask for specific help, i.e. ask specific questions on items you don't understand. Perhaps my expectations were higher and my previous career experience with some of the historic programming languages created a mind set that was not completely "in tune" with the authors thought process.

Would I recommend it, yes, but with reservations. It really depends where you are starting from.
on 13 July 2010
I found this book did what it said "On the tin". It allows you to write your own programmes in VBA or, in my case, use the provided examples and edit them to acheive what you need.
on 6 April 2013
for those learning VBA this is a good book, but be warned that as you advance into the realm of automation (programming) you will find that this book does not have enough detail to allow completion of projects. I ended up getting most of my information from google searches and (erm) stealing and modifying code found on the internet.

good for beginners... useless for programming vba code beyond the simple stuff
on 28 November 2015
I found this a very good introduction to Access VBA even though I am familiar with Excel VBA etc. I had bought some other books and could not quite understand what they were talking about! ( I am over 60!). This book however made everything very clear. Wish I had bought it first!
Well worth it.
on 15 March 2013
The style is consistent with all other Dummies books I've read, so the ease of use is enhanced by the familiarity. All good.
on 4 October 2014
Does what it says on the cover
on 28 December 2014
great thanks
on 29 July 2011
Have not yet had a chance to get to grips with this book yet due to time constrictions, but hope to do so before long. I have had a look at it and it seems to be good in that it is well laid out with clear diagrams and script layouts. I want to experiment with the language of VBA to do what I can't do in the program itself.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse