5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for beginners and cricket lovers alike
I bought his book for a Dutch colleague from work who was interested in learning about cricket in wake of the 2009 Ashes. I searched through a number of books and this one appealed the most. Partly due to content, but also due to very good experiences with previous "Dummies" books.

Published on 5 Aug. 2009 by Snuggs

2.0 out of 5 stars Wrong Book for Me - Accidentally Bought
Was looking for a book including umpiring rules and tips. Nothing like that here, just basic history and playing tips. What is more, I thought I had only bought the preview and not the full copy for my kindle - no way of cancelling it I can see. Bah, Amazon, Bah!
Published on 17 Aug. 2012 by Dangerous Dave

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for beginners and cricket lovers alike, 5 Aug. 2009
Snuggs (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cricket for Dummies (Paperback)

This is a definite purchase for anyone, addict or newcomer, looking for a guide and companion to cricket.

I have played and followed cricket all my life and I believed the book was pitched at the right level for my colleague to understand.

When the book arrived I gave it to my colleague and had a flick through myself. I was very interested in the content and this prompted me to buy a copy for myself as there were many areas for the cricket lover that could also be enjoyed.

Since owning the book I have read it most nights and it has been fascinating. Furthermore, my wife has even taken a little more interest the game after a few glances at the book.

As for my colleague, he says that the book is excellent and has thoroughly enjoyed reading it. He feels his understanding of the game has improved and certainly his knowledge has come on leaps and bounds. But most importantly, he is developing an unhealthy love for the game. We now enjoy good conversations during and around matches and he has only owned it for 3 weeks.

This is a thoroughly enjoyable book for beginners and cricket lovers alike. The book is comprehensive and accessible for newcomers combined with facts and stories for the addicts. It is excellently written and painstakingly researched and the author's love of the game really shines through, without being overbearing.

A definite purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cricket Dummy, 1 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Cricket for Dummies (Paperback)
If you're an anorak for detail you'll love this book! I got it for my 11 yr old daughter so she could learn the finer points of the noble game. It certainly does that - diagrams of fielding positions etc - and is a good read for the cricket buff with some history of the game, its heroes and its ups n'downs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have you always found cricket strange? Buy this book., 6 Jun. 2010
A. P. J. Jansen (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cricket for Dummies (Paperback)
Although there are not really any big difference between the British society and mine (I am Dutch), there are a few things that I do find strange. One of the strangest of them is cricket. It has always seem incredibly boring to me, yet there are quite a few people, whose opinion I value, who are avid fans. So I have been looking for a good introductory book. However, such a book is hard to find. Most bookshops that I visited in the United Kingdom did have a decent collections of books on cricket, but they all seem to have been written for people that already know the sport. Apparently learning about the basics of cricket is part of your general upbringing if you live in the UK.

With Cricket for Dummy I finally found the book that I was looking for. It has a long chapter on the very basics, it explains the various forms of the sport, and it explains why so many people like it so much. This would have already made it a useful book to me, but this is only part 1 of 4. Part 2 deals with how to play the game. It discusses the various players, tactics, training, and coaching. Part 3 discusses various national and international competitions and what to do if you want to see a cricket match. Part 4 finally discusses highlights in cricket history.

I can't say that this book has made me a cricket fan, but at least I now know what is going on when I see a match.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like a perfect over!, 24 May 2011
This review is from: Cricket for Dummies (Paperback)
I have yet to find a book which covers our most glorious game in such an accessible way.

The information presented in these pages is brilliantly structured, allowing the reader to dip in and out as and when required, rather than have to read it from cover to cover (which incidentally I did, and it's still marvellous!)

Whether an armchair fan or budding player, the book covers every angle, and should be applauded for opening up the game of cricket to a wider audience, allowing those who would have otherwise felt overwhelmed by the seemingly bizarre language the opportunity to enjoy the sport to its fullest. If only this book was available when I was at school...

5.0 out of 5 stars I was an absolute cricket dummy before this, 22 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Cricket For Dummies (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book to learn about cricket as a surprise for my other half, he not only loves the sport but also plays for his county and another team. I found this book very easy to read, it is all written simply but not so much that you feel like an idiot.

After reading the book I felt like I knew so much more and could actually understand the world of cricket as well as knowing its history which I found very interesting. Once I announced it to my other half he got very excited and him and his father decided to test me on my knowledge...I passed! Thank you so much cricket for dummies you helped me an awful lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun read to learn about cricket, 14 Aug. 2009
A. C. H. Hall "Pafamba Gondo Harishayi" (Worcester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cricket for Dummies (Paperback)
What a great book. Although long an armchair cricket fan and enjoy a saunter down to watch the local village cricket or county games, I always felt the jargon involved was a bit beyond my reach. Well, no More!
Cricket for Dummies has really opened up the sport in a way I have never imagined. I now sound very professional as I discuss cricket down at County grounds or while watching internationals.
The book makes it really FUN to learn. Bah Humbug to my old school teacher who made cricket a trial rather than fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Read, 4 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Cricket for Dummies (Paperback)
Suitable for the absolute novice. I know nothing about cricket and needed led through the game. Perhaps only criticism would be too many references to other parts of book rather than just
telling the reader there and then.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dummies Guide., 10 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Cricket for Dummies (Paperback)
Needed a bit of a refresher on the rules of cricket - and this book really helped. Easy to read. Well packaged and in good condition for 2nd had book - thanks Oxfam.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile, 7 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Cricket for Dummies (Paperback)
I bought this as a present for someone not brought up with cricket who has enjoyed the Ashes. Very good.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wrong Book for Me - Accidentally Bought, 17 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Cricket For Dummies (Kindle Edition)

Cricket For Dummies