5.0 out of 5 stars A great grammar
A very well laid out grammar. Well worth purchasing, especially if you purchase the Workbook to practice what you have learned. A very good product, of good quality. This book should definitely be purchased if you wish to learn Portuguese. I am an advanced learner and it is still a very useful book even for me. It is suitable for learners of all levels. Great book!
Published on 27 April 2011 by Brazilian Welsh girl

3.0 out of 5 stars It's just okay
Unlike many books I had purchased on Amazon, this one has rather poor quality of printing. I can read it perfectly fine, but just the printing quality was not what I had expected of a book at a price like that.
Published 8 months ago by Chua Yu Mei

5.0 out of 5 stars A great grammar, 27 April 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars I probably like this grammar book too much, 26 July 2012
The tone of this book is perfect: enough grammatical terminology is used so it all makes sense and you can understand what other books/ language teachers are talking about, but not too much that it's unreadable and mind-boggling.

It also doesn't shy away from complexities, such as when to use estar vs ser vs ficar. A lot of books over-simplify things like that, and once you get to an intermediate stage you can find that you're constantly using the wrong verb. This book uses plenty of realistic examples to help iron out these misunderstandings.

Here's some things this book cleared up for me: which object pronoun to use and where, when to use the subjunctive, when to use por or para. I'd say this book is perfect if you've covered the basics and spent some time in a Portuguese-country and now have a lot of questions. There's a lot of moments I read it when had that "a-ha!" moment when some puzzling piece of grammar clicked into place.

Overall, I think what makes this book special is how readable it is. I can happily spend a good hour reading it through on the sofa - which is rare for a book about grammar!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 27 Feb 2011
Having studied French, German, Biblical Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic I am not new to the practice of learning foreign grammar. Having visited Brazil a few years back I have been keen to learn Brazilian Portuguese. I studied for a while, then gave up. Recently though my passion has been ignited again, and this book is helping to keep it alive. The structure of the book is well laid out, and the examples help you to transform the grammatical explanations into real-life uses (the work book is very important for this as well). If one is unfamiliar with conjugated languages, they may find Portuguese difficult to comprehend at first, and daunting with so many different verb forms. Nevertheless,not only does he clearly present the verb endings, but John Whitlam (ch.18)demonstrates how the different verb forms are employed in (or out of ) line with English.

Also, I have been thinking on the positioning of pronouns in a Portuguese sentence. Where should I place the object; at the beginning? following the verb? Whitlam deals with these questions, and much more!

Having only recently received this book, these are only my initial notions. Yet, from what I can see,it is an excellent and invaluable resource.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: Modern Brazilian Portuguese Grammar: A Practical Guide (Modern Grammars) (Kindle Edition)
Excellent text. Very informative. So educational. I went from ok to fluent Speaker and reader and understanding with this text. .not exclusively alone. But explained grammar, word order, verbs, etc, in plain English.

5.0 out of 5 stars Portuguese students, 7 Nov 2013
Diego R. Solis (Daytona Beach, Florida, US) - See all my reviews
Awesome book, easy to understand, from morphology to grammar, and accents and differences. Great book to have around as a complementary to conversational and exercise books

3.0 out of 5 stars It's just okay, 26 Oct 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Will help you take your Portuguese to the next level, 28 May 2013
If you speak a little Portuguese and can 'get by', this book will help you take your language to the next level. Although clearly a grammer book and not an exciting read there will be lots of 'Ahhh...that's what that phrase/word means' which will really help.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, too much grammar, not exciting - not for self-study purpose, 13 April 2013
I have learnt few languages and used many self-study books. This one does not look attractive. It does not help you to get excited about studying a new language. I do not like a layout of the text. It is dull, not challenging but rather boring. I find Brazilian Portuguese quite difficult (especially pronunciation) and this book did not help me to get over my fear. This book is for very keen learners of the language who have plenty of time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A huge help!, 30 Oct 2011
I have been living in Brazil for two months and have a good grasp of the basics. I can follow conversation and make myself understood but have for a while been feeling frustrated that I seem unable to instigate and maintain a flowing conversation, interrupt people politely etc. This book has given me the gap-fillers that I have been so desperately needing! For anyone who wants to be able to express themselves fluently and with good manners this book will help you immensely.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best grammar books I've come across, 6 Nov 2011
LivY (London, UK) - See all my reviews
As a new student to Portuguese but having already studied Spanish to an intermediate/advanced level using numerous grammar books, I was very impressed with this one. Initially I wasn't sure a grammar book could justify the high price but this text is actually split into 2 parts so it doubles up as a grammar and a kind of textbook/guidebook utilising the lessons from the first half.

I'm currently using it to supplement my 2 hours a week of class for some additional reading and background to lessons, i.e. extra help with explanations and examples. I refer to this text all the time and would definitely recommend to all levels of Brazilian Portuguese learning. The layout is an irritation to some according to previous reviews however I feel this is logical (both section and page numbers are provided for easy reference), and reduces the amount of space used for repetition.

Criticisms: As a native English speaker who has never actually learnt English grammar formally in school I still find some of the explanations, and even the Glossary of Grammatical terms at the beginning difficult to understand. The examples make this easier but I have yet to find a grammar book really make these explanations clear in 'layman' terms. I'm not 100% sure if it would be useful if this is the very first foreign language you are learning but still feel that it is still a worthwhile investment.