on 16 March 2011
The Sony Ericsson X8

I've owned one of these for a while now, so here's a few thoughts that may be of use if you're considering this phone:

BUILD

Oddly, the front's ok but the back cover is cheap and nasty, and creaks if you press it. I dropped the phone one morning getting onto the train and the casing flew off and the battery fell out. Three pieces of phone all over the floor. Luckily it all snapped together again no problem. It's a budget phone, and you get what you pay for.

SCREEN

Not bad at all for the price. Fine for web browsing. Touchscreen not mega-responsive, but adequate.

ANDROID

Works ok on this model - it's a bit clunky now and then. HTC Desire it ain't. Some annoyances - touch the screen too long by accident and it thinks you want to add or remove widgets - a bit amateur in this sense.

MP3

Very good MP3 player - better than my iPod touch, and no daft sync type consolidate your market nonsense. Onboard speaker is fine. Get a 16 gig micro SD and you can put plenty of music on it.

CAMERA

Good in daylight - hopeless otherwise.

ALL IN ALL

I like the X8 - battery life is good so long as you remember to switch off wi fi and data traffic when not in use, and it does what it's supposed to do. The phone's OS works fine nearly all of the time (Angry Birds freezes sometimes). Shame about the bloatware though - why can't I delete Timescape, Crazy Penguin, TrackID and all the other useless trap that it's bundled with?

3.6 out of 5, rounded up to a 4.
on 18 October 2011
I was wary about purchasing this phone after reading so many reviews claiming it to be sluggish with an unresponsive screen. However due to it being the only sub-£100 Android phone I could find with a capacitive touch screen I decided it was worth a try.

When I received it it was indeed a bit slow but it was also stuffed with preinstalled apps which hogged all the memory and seemed impossible to remove. But it is possible to remove them if you're willing to spend a bit of time on it. Here's the steps I took to make the phone a delight to use:

1) Root the phone. I used this tutorial [...] and it worked perfectly.

2) Install the app 'SuperUser' if it isn't on the phone from the marketplace: [...]

3) Install Titanium Backup from the marketplace ([...])

4) Perform a full backup of the phone to your SD card and then remove any of the preinstalled apps you do not want.

Following those steps should free up quite a bit of the limited internal memory. To keep any apps from running in the background and slowing down the phone you should also install 'Advanced Task Killer' from the marketplace. Using this you can kill any background processes you want. I also replaced the default home screen with ADW.Launcher - again, from the marketplace. This lets you customise the homescreen(s) in many ways and has made my phone much easier to use and navigate.

Battery life is pretty good. Today on the train I had 67% battery life, watched two episodes of Community and it went down to 62%. Installing RockPlayer is a must as the stock video player is incredibly basic. The CPU isn't fast enough to decode regular XViD avi videos but it does support x264 mp4 hardware decoding. So either download videos in that format to begin with or use HandBrake on your desktop computer to convert them. It has a preset for iphone video which matches the resolution of the X8 perfectly so it's a snap to use. Converting a 25min tv episode to mp4 takes about 5 minutes so it's not exactly a chore.

It only comes with Android 2.1 installed and it's not possible to upgrade it without flashing a custom rom. This is slightly more complex than rooting the phone so I'll leave the details out. The reason I mention this is that 2.2 added the native ability to create wireless hotspots so you can share your phones internet with your laptop, etc. Luckily there is a way around this. The marketplace hosts an app called Barnacle Wifi Tether which lets you do this on 2.1. You can also EasyTether which requires a USB cable to connect the phone to the laptop. With these two apps you can recreate the most useful feature of 2.2+ with ease.

If you're after a phone that can handle the latest 3D games and play HD video files then you will have to spend a lot more money. For the price the X8 is an excellent phone and just needs a bit of TLC to really achieve its potential. For the money you're getting a 3.2MP camera, a GPS navigation device, a portable video player, push email notifications, Android 2.1 (unless you want to use a custom ROM and go higher), access to the Android marketplace and all that entails and a responsive capacitive touch screen. If that's not a good deal then I don't know what is.

4 stars for the hardware but I'd give 5 stars to the value for money.
44 comments|13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 April 2011
ive owned this phone for about 2 months and i love it,
the touch screen is really responsive, nearly as good as ipods,
the phone overall is exelent for the price,
android id good, but u cant get any app to sd card apps, and the internal memory is not that big,
but for the price, it is amazing
on 17 June 2012
I had one of these last year, it was, let's just say, cheap for a reason. It was slow, stuck on an old version of Android, and the Sony Ericsson software just made the experience even worse. Typing on it was difficult due to the small screen and it just wasn't good at much. That said, if you want a basic Android phone it will do alright. I only had one for only a month or so but during that time there were no major faults, it just wasn't enough for me really.

There are better budget Android phones out there though. Personally I've found the best way to get a cheap Android phone is to buy last year's high end model second hand. I've snagged HTCs with an RRP of £300 for £150 used and they're far superior to anything which was built specifically to be a budget phone. If you absolutely must get something brand new, look at ZTE and Huawei - not big brands but you get good value for your money. Phones like the HTC ChaCha are also worth a look, I got a brand new one off Amazon and it's quite good, and certainly of better quality than this X8, but again don't expect anything special.
on 24 June 2011
This was an emergency purchase when my Experia X10 died on me. A direct comparison between the 2 is somewhat unfair. The camera is very much lacking compared to 'big brother' however in all other respects it meets up to its sibling and in some areas surpasses it. It fits much more comfortably in pockets and the home screen navigation aides are a delight.
The Experia 10 was unsalvagable and I've been given a Samsung Galaxy S1 (like for like swap) and am now in a real quandary as I have fallen for this little phone which packs a big wallop.
on 16 April 2012
i dont know where some of the reviews on this phone are comming from if the people writing these reviews want a android phone then waste £300 to £400 on a smart phone there is absolutly nothing wrong with the experia x8. good camera good battery life if used correctly and does everything stated onthe box. as ihave said if you want the be all ina phone then waste big money
on 7 July 2012
The phone arrived in the time frame stated when the order was placed and the phone was as described. No problems whatsoever. Great phone. Thanks
on 28 August 2012
I bought this phone less than a year ago and loved it from the start. a few months later I thought I'd spoil myself and get the Xperia Arc S. Until recently I have kept on using the Arc S, but then found out I could get £135 for it in Cex. The reason I want to sell it is because I went back to the X8 for a trial period, and immediately fell in love with it again. The battery life is amazing, way better than the Arc S. It is also convenient, as it is small but the screen is just as usable as the Arc S. The theme on this phone is very well designed and nice looking. One thing I will miss about the Arc S is the 8MP camera, but I can live with that. You see this anywhere for £80, buy it.
on 1 December 2013
I bought this phone as my first Android smart phone. This was amazing and I loved it till I made the mistake of dropping it in the bath!! Up until that point i had no issues with it, no glitches etc.
This phone is great as a starter smart phone. Maybe even for a child.
I made the switch to samsung though and now have the S4.
Please don't be put off by bad reviews here. This is a neat little phone. Looks and feels nice isn't heavy and fits snuggly into a pocket or bag. On full charge using for calls and texts only will last a few days, however if you use it for web, gaming and music player then like me you'll be needing to charge it twice maybe three times a day it only took 1-2hours to fully charge by plug or 3hrs via usb charge from a pc. However my s4 is approx the same. If I could fix my x8 I would.. because I loved it and still do have an affinity to it. Prior to buying the s2 I looked I buying another sony X8 but the price was negligible between the 2 back then. I would say if your used to a higher spec phone such as the £200-£500 devices such as samsung, sony or IPhone this will disappoint. As stated this is a great starter, emergency phone or a great first mobile for a child. Or a replacement or if your budget is limited.
You can also add a memory card M2 (micro) up to 16 possibly even 32gb. Its android so apps from google play. The sound is great and it allowed for I player and itv player to play. The video quality is also great, but with the screen sizes this is average.

All in all I would recommend this product to anyone who needs a spare or looking to move to a smart phone or your kids want a phone. Its a bargain.
on 19 July 2012
this is a good everyday phone.
nice and compact good battery life with good app avaiable on the android market