4.0 out of 5 stars Take that - and zen some!
I train in Ju Jitsu at a London club and I can relate with many a wry smile to Robert Twigger's experiences in A.W.P. Although not training to the same punishing level, I see all his dojo types in any martial arts clubs; the sadists, the wimps, the show-offs and all us in-betweens - sliding between fear and fascination, bravado and dejection.
Twigger keeps the...
Published on 3 Feb 2004 by Mr. J. A. D. Swan

3.0 out of 5 stars Angry White Pyjamas
`Angry White Pyjamas' follows an Englishman in Japan as he trains on the extreme Tokyo riot police course. It looks at his time and training in an Aikido dojo and makes for fascinating reading. The style of Aikido he learnt is Yoshinkan and isn't truly representative of Aikido in general, you don't tend to get the overly macho and violent teachers and philosophy in other...
Published on 2 Sep 2009 by Spider Monkey

2.0 out of 5 stars An overblown Sunday magazine article, 5 Sep 2001
By A Customer
As both a martial artist and someone who knows a bit about Japanese people, also what it's like to live in Japan, I was disappointed in this book. The subject matter is not well explored and the characters are poorly developed. It seems that the author, although performing a rare undertaking for a European, spent much of his time walking around Japan with his eyes closed, such are the observations he makes. The writing style is inconsistent, at times it's hard to believe that the author once won a writing award whilst at university. I wouldn't recommend this book unless readers have either a keen interest in martial arts or nothing else to pick up from the bookshelf at the airport.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I hoped., 10 Aug 2011
M. SIMMONS "REVIEWER" (OXFORD, ENGLAND.) - See all my reviews
I used to have a keen interest in Japan and the martial arts. I went to Japan once as a tourist and 'dabbled' in various martial arts but not to any level of proficiency. I recognise some of the techniques from Aikido. However, I am not convinced that martial arts are designed to improve mind and body. On the contrary, if the characters in this book are anything to go by, quite the opposite. If a smoking, boozing, sex obsessed thug is your idea of the ideal 'sensei' then this may make you go to Japan. You may learn more from Bruce Lee about how to be a good martial artist. Remember 'the art of fighting without fighting' from Enter The Dragon. Also a casual misogyny permeates the book. Japan is not the best place in the world to be a woman. On the plus side, some of the characters were interesting but not enough to make me award three stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment !, 30 Oct 1998
By A Customer
I began reading this book hoping to pick up some pointers on the Yoshinkan style of Aikido. It is after all, the style that I study in England.
Furthermore, I have met many of the instructors mentioned during the course of the book, and was looking forward to the author comparing notes on their styles and abilities as martial artists.
Unfortunately, the author barely touches on martial arts techniques, and when he describes the various instructors, it is usually prefaced with a snide comment.
It would appear from reading the book, that the author did not enjoy his time on the Sensushei course, and that he had no enthusiasm for the training.
What made him go to Japan, and why did he enroll on the course ?
I would not recommend this book to any martial artists. It is self-indulgent twaddle.

2.0 out of 5 stars Heavy going, 15 Feb 2002
By A Customer
I bought this book because I was told it was amusing. I haven't laughed. I found the writing style very stilted and difficult to get into. The content is good though. Some interesting details.