Shop now Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: DVDChange

on 18 September 2013
Let us make no mistake about this film. It is a five star chick flick. There won't be a woman with a dry eye in the house. But face it, "Friends with Benefits" was hands down a better movie. For sensitive guys, it is about 3 stars.

I am not an Ashton Kutcher fan by any means. However, I have developed a little more respect for him after this film. Ashton and Natalie have been friends since they were 14, off and on. They come from wealthy families. She becomes a doctor and he follows in his father's footsteps and works in the film industry. When Ashton discovers his dad's new girlfriend is his ex-girlfriend he gets drunk and calls every girl in his cell phone until he gets laid. He ends up with Natalie and they make an arrangement to just be "friends with benefits."

Natalie is a the one who insists on the "no relationship with strings", just a sexual arrangement as she works weird hours and needs to relax. Ashton apparently has the equipment to help her relax. As all chick flicks go, we know how it turns out, the fun is watching it get there.

I actually had a few LOL moments, especially the "period tape." The movie keeps a good pace and doesn't have boring scenes. Sex, some crude language, and Ashton's nude butt.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 January 2015
I didn't like this film at all and count it as one of my most disappointing viewings ever - and that came as an unpleasant surprise, considering the names of actors and the director. Below, more of my impressions, with some limited SPOILERS.

Emma (Natalie Portman) and Adam (Ashton Kutcher) unwillingly keep running into each other - until one day they get really close... Emma however is reluctant to the very idea of a relationship and asks for a "sex only - no strings attached" common operation. Adam, who is much less cynical, agrees nevertheless and we can totally understand him - after all, this is Natalie Portman who asks, for God's sake! Of course, things will not go as smoothly as it is supposed.

The general idea wasn't the easiest thing in the world to be handled, I must give that to the director. But Ivan Reitman, even if he didn't make a really good film since "Ghostbusters" in 1984, is an experienced veteran and he could definitely do better than that.

The scenario is weak and the potential of both main actors is wasted. There is a couple of jokes, but they mostly turn around Adam's dad, an aging playboy played by Kevin Kline. For the most of time this film is definitely NOT funny - and that is rarely good news for a comedy. As for the romance, well, there is hardly any - I saw more romantism in some butcher shops...

I give this film two stars only because I generally like Ashton Kutcher (I found him particularly good in "Butterfly Effect", "The Guardian", "A lot like love" and even in stinkers like "My boss's daughter" and "Valentine's day") and of course I would watch Natalie Portman in ANYTHING... But this not-funny, not-romantic, occasionally vulgar film was for me a TERRRRIBLE DISAPPOINTMENT, nowhere near the quality of "Notting Hill", "While you were sleeping", "When Harry meets Sally", "Love actually" or "Must love dogs" - gosh, it wasn't even anywhere near the level of "A lot like love" (a lesser, albeit honest film). I am glad that I rented it instead of buying. AVOID!
on 13 March 2013
I love Natalie and Ashton, and the whole FWB idea resulting in love so this movie was a must watch for me! I was very disappointed though. I feel like it could have been much better. If you really like the idea of it, watch the Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake 'Friends with Benefits'. It's a similar idea and so much better. I loved that one.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Whether a man and woman can have sex and stay "just friends" is cliched territory but this film is so much better than I ever thought it could be. It's not your typical romcom and it lacks that sugary coating that you usually get with this kind of film. It's a funny film yes, but in an indirect kind of way; you're getting the story and getting to know the characters and it just happens to be funny. It's not laughs just for the sake of laughs.

You'll have seen Ashton Kutcher in this kind of role before but you can't complain really - he does it so well. You get both the male and female perspective which makes the film all the more enjoyable. There is a bit of role-reversal too with Natalie Portman's character being portrayed as more 'the man' in the relationship and it is her idea to start the 'no strings attached' relationship. I can't understand people criticizing her though: yes she's a little uptight and she has her guard up when it comes to love but that's the point - her character HAS issues and the film is as much about her journey as it is about anything else.

The peripheral characters are a mixed bag (some of them are oddballs really!) and bring a bit of additional entertainment to the proceedings without being distracting from the main story. The whole film is really well put together - it's an 'observation' type of film and it manages to achieve a nice balance between romance, comedy and drama.

Overall, the film gets a thumbs up from me - it's a light-hearted, feel-good film that made me smile and giggle. There are a few extra bits provided on the DVD - the director's commentary is very easy listening. It's a shame there is no additional commentary with Ashton & Natalie and the 'alternate ending' referred to by the director is actually nowhere to be found in the bonus material. There are a few deleted scenes though and a nice featurette which includes the cast and crew and a bit more on the story of the film - pretty standard really but it's always nice to get some bonus material, than nothing at all.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 18 September 2011
I expected more from this film. Ashton and Natalie have no chemistry whatsoever and their height difference is also huge - there are parts in the film where you can tell she must be standing on a box!! You feel no sympathy with Natalie's character. I would not watch it again.
on 10 July 2013
Got this film because it had to big A list stars in a rom com and looked like an enjoyable film in the trailer.

The films highlights on a friends with benefits situation which seems to happening a lot in the modern world me and the mrs quite enjoyed the film as we tend to watch rom coms this isn't the best in the world and isn't full of laughs but is still good
on 22 September 2013
I'm not sure why this film has been given so many poor reviews. I rarely rave about a film but I really enjoyed this and it was so much more than what I expected it to be. The script was well drafted and well acted, with good characterisation - not only of the two leads but their friends and family too, which is quite unusual in a romcom where you tend to get such 2 dimensional characters. Thumbs up from me and four stars!!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
After watching the trailer for this I was quite excited to see this movie. At first it just seemed like a movie about two people who were 'Friends with Benefits' but then their feelings develop into something real. It is quite unpredictable and predictable at the same time because you know what the ending is but you're not sure how they're going to get there. This movie is different because it's not the guy with the commitment issues, it's the girl. It shows that women don't need men to feel good about themselves as Emma (Portman) is an independant woman who thinks that she doesn't need a relationship with a guy. At first both Emma (Portman) and Adam (Kutcher) use each other for sex but then they both realise that they have stronger feelings for each other and are falling for each other. However, head-strong Emma refuses to admit this, thereby breaking Adam's heart. After a period of separation Emma finally realises that she needs Adam because she is in love with him and she finally admits her true feelings. They get together (officially) and all is well.

This is one of the best rom-coms I've ever seen because it's different. The plot-line is unusual but it still gives you that warm fuzzy lovey-dovey feeling. I highly recommend it because both actors are great, it is incredibly funny and this film is unique. If you're bored of rom-coms because you think they're all predictable and are the same then watch 'No Strings Attached' because it changes the stereotype of the romantic comedy. It shows that sometimes women are the stronger ones in the relationship and struggle with their feelings. It is fresh and new, watch it!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I was actually quite surprised at how good `No Strings Attached' was. I was expecting it to be quite disappointing and a lack lustre affair, but it had some good laughs and a reasonably good plot too.

Featuring Natalie Portman and Ashton Kutcher this follows two characters called Emma and Adam as they try to have a relationship where they have plenty of sex, but don't fall in love. Emma, who has intimacy problems, finds this concept easier than Adam and that is when the problems start.

This has some decent jokes in it and it had me laughing out loud a few times. Both Portman and Kutcher play their roles well and you tend to feel their was genuine chemistry between them. Kevin Kline as Adams father also has some great lines and raises some laughs.

I loved the soundtrack, which features one of my favourite bands (The Temper Trap) and the songs match the scenes very well. The story was also quite good, with some great dialogue and it didn't feel overlong or tedious at any point.

All in all this made for just under two hours entertaining viewing and it is an easy going and reasonably funny film. It is well worth checking out and whilst you won't be rushing to watch it again straight afterwards, I didn't regret watching it at all.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 24 July 2015
This is a terrible movie. Why Kevin Kline agreed to play in this is amazing. The script is juvenile, the direction very poor. It is one of the worst movies I've seen in years. If you want to see a whole load of clichés crudely bundles together watch this. We gave 15 minutes and gave up in disgust.