on 3 March 2011
I freely admit an inability to write a short story. Within a novel I have the time and space to bring out all the aspects of my story at an unhurried pace. A short story must make a statement in a confined space while conforming to a rigid and widely accepted discipline. Declan Conner is a true master of the genre.
His stories crackle with energy, stand alone while remaining very much a part of a collection and have that sting in the tail which is a prerequisite for any short story. I loved all the stories in this collection - perfect for dipping into in a leisure period. Satisfying, beautifully composed and throughly enjoyable. Highly recommended.
on 2 October 2012
Okay, I'm a sucker for a good short story, but this collection really rocks. I particularly liked 'The End, or a new Dawn', which I believe Mr Conner won an award for. I won't give too much away, but it's extremely well-thought-out, very thought-provoking, and has a killer denouement (no, don't cheat and peek!) I'm not into sci-fi and thrillers generally, but if this anthology is anything to go by, I'm a convert. Five stars, highly recommended.
on 25 February 2011
Lunch Break Thrillers (Short Stories)

Declan has nailed the art of the short story. If you like thrillers, this is an excellent mix of the thriller genre. I thoroughly enjoyed the stories. He shows great imagination in crafting the stories and plots, with an underlying depth/theme that leaves you pondering after you have read the stories. There is some good humour that put a smile on my face, besides some of the serious content. He paints some wonderful pictures with the narrative and the dialogue is realistic.

All the stories are long enough to develop some memorable characters. It does what it says on the cover, no matter if you are taking a lunch break, a short journey, or simply lounging on the beach, the stories are short, but long enough to give satisfaction. I couldn't pick a favourite and to talk about them individually would give the plots away. They really are gems.
on 23 May 2012
I must confess upfront that I have only read the first story so far but it has been enough for me to form an opinion - in a word: bad. It read like a year 8 school project story, full of cliches, one-dimensional characters, and seriously cringe-worthy dialogue. The tale ended very abruptly and, while I appreciate these are short stories, it felt as though the author had got bored and decided to wrap it up before moving onto the next one. At around £3 this is very overpriced for what it is.
on 18 April 2012
The stories were quite good for he most part but the 'conspiracy' theme was too strong and ran throughout most of the book (think David Icke forums kinda stuff).