Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 7 March 2011
From the first few notes, I knew this album was going to be really different from their last two. It's rather strange to hear electronics on a Noah and the Whale album. Definitely not what I expected...

Their first two albums were, lyrically, mainly about love and the terrible pain it causes. This album is about living life to the full, hope, and time passing.

"L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N." is definitely a good choice for the lead single; it's positive, upbeat, and very catchy. I hope it does well. "Wild Thing" and "The Line" are very beautiful ballads that I'm sure all old fans will approve of. "Waiting For My Chance To Come" definitely reminds of of The Cars...

I suspect that some fans might not know how to take this album. One of the appeals of Noah and the Whale's music was listening to it as a soundtrack to the pain you felt at the time (at least it was for me anyway). Not only has the sound of the music changed, but the lyrics have changed too, so this is definitely a departure, or a new beginning, for the band. That said, I think this album deserves a few listens. It's definitely a change, but you can still hear it's the same band. I'd be surprised if any old fans don't like this album. While I absolutely adored their first two albums, I couldn't listen to them as often as I could listen to some other music I listen to. They were so genuinely sad that they made me feel sad and depressed while I listened to them. I must say, it's nice to be able to listen to Noah and the Whale without feeling depressed.

While this album is definitely very different, the important things remain the same; and that's the fact that these songs, like all other Noah and the Whale songs, have heart. From Charlie's vocals, to the way the instruments are played, it's all full of beautiful, genuine, emotion, and that's what made us all love them in the first place...
on 12 June 2011
Had only heard of them from " tonights the kind of night" but thought i would download the album and give them a listen. Not going to set the world on fire but well worth buying if you like the singles. Borders on being a bit " twee " but shouldn't upset anybody. Have played a few times and seems to be growing on me. Give them a go
on 21 March 2011
Last Night On Earth has the vintage album structure of two five-song sides (the CD sleeve lists them this way) with a running time under 35 minutes. But is the content as classic as the form? It's superb. This is not the radical departure that some have suggested, but a natural progression: after the novelty bounce of `5 Years Time' and the punch-drunk heartbreak of The First Days of Spring, these are the songs of a man with experience, perspective, and grounded optimism. It is one of the most purely enjoyable and emotionally satisfying albums that I have heard for months. Charlie Fink continues to develop impressively as a songwriter, with just about every track a potential single, and his bandmates do them justice with inspired arrangements and musicality. If I had to pick standouts they would be `Give It All Back', `Waiting for My Chance to Come' and `The Line', but there isn't a dud here.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 December 2013
Noah and the Whale's third album 'Last Night on Earth' is my favourite of the three, I have yet to hear the recent fourth, but it's on my list of CDs to buy.

The album opens up with the positive and inspirational 'Life Is Life', with lyrics that have inspired and helped me through a very difficult year. The lead single 'L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N.' is another feel-good song, which is the general tone of the album. Other tracks that are almost guaranteed to lift my mood include 'Give It All Back' and 'Waiting For My Chance To Come'.

If your looking for music that will encourage you to come to terms with life and to move forward, you've found it with 'Last Night on Earth'. Thanks guys!
on 8 March 2011
Yet again Charlie Fink and co have proved that Noah and the Whale posses an ability to be both dynamic and at the same time not alienate their fanbase by going off in a different direction. From the synth driven opener Life Is Life, through the heady optimism of Give It All Back and Waiting For My Chance To Come to the slow paced and haunting Old Joy, this album may have done away with the acoustic and string driven elements that defined it's two predecessors in favour of muted synths and backing choirs, but that doesn't detract from the fact that this is a brilliant collection of music.
on 8 July 2011
After the patchy but potential-packed Peaceful, The World Lays Me Down and the indulgent, over-egged dirge of The First Days of Spring, I was beginning to wonder if Charlie Fink was about to throw in the towel. It was only after reading some rather curious reviews of this album (the phrase "drive-time music" came up at one point, I believe) that I thought I'd give it a try and I'm more than glad I did. It has been a very, very pleasant surprise.

This is a wonderful slice of summer-y, shimmering, heartfelt and (above all) intelligent pop, with not a duff track on it. From the anthemic statement of intent "Life is Life" to the swooningly beautiful "Old Joy", this is a pleasure to listen to, a glorious and uplifting rising from the ashes of despond. It's the perfect soundtrack to a sunny day, with its tales of hope and memory, all wrapped up in a sweet and upbeat tunes that will make you smile. While usually averse to such pop-dom, this has become one of my top albums of 2011, and I'd recommend it to anyone and everyone.
on 24 May 2012
This is my first introduction to NATW properly having only heard other material on the radio etc... Looking at some reviews it states that this isnt Noah at their best, but I totally disagree! This album is such an uplifting experience from start to finish and is simply amazing. I must say I am an album lover, rather than individual songs and hate buying a record on the back of one song, only to find the rest of the material on the album is not to my taste. But this isnt the case here, the whole album is fantastic!

My only criticism is its length at just over 30mins but I'd rather have a short, very good album, rather than a long one with "filler" songs in it ( Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium" for example).

Having heard their older material I must say this IS their best work and should be a worthwhile purchase for anyone. If you are into "ALBUMS" check out "...And you will know us by the trail of Dead - Worlds Apart" too.
on 21 April 2012
Heard them on the TV and on the strength of that I bought the CD. It took a couple of plays to get into it, but I really enjoy it. The only criticism is that the music is very controlled - there are very few wild solos or guitar riffs. I would have liked to hear them cut loose and lose a little of that control sometimes. Having said that, there are several strong songs on this album. Waiting for my chance to come, LIFEGOESON, Life is life and Wild thing all stand out for me, but its a great album overall. The band come from a Folk style, and you can still hear some of that influence in between the catchy pop tunes and smart lyrics. If this puts you off, have a listen, its got more interest value in terms of the tunes and the lyrics than simple pop and the musicianship is very good.
on 22 February 2012
Bought this album after hearing a few Noah and the Whale songs - L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N and Tonight's the Kind of Night - which I really liked. It is a truly fantastic album! Almost all of the songs are catchy and great, and I went on to buy Peaceful, The World Lays Me Down after. On buying their first album, you can really say how much they've come on - I find the tunes a lot better. Wild Thing and Old Joy aren't brilliant, but almost all of the other songs are. Give It All Back and Waiting for my Chance to Come really stand out for me because they have so much more emotion in them than most of the other songs on the album and most popular music today! It's so nice to hear current music that they have written and performed themselves, and isn't full of autotune!
on 10 March 2011
So is it just me then that is finding something lacking to the depth of lyrics on their third album. I like bands that are capable of changing their sound so I was pleased with the addition to the synth but I'm on my 4th listen at the moment and am finding the lyrics a bit repetitive and shallow when compared to the imagination delivered in their first two albums. Maybe I will revisit this review in months to come and swallow my words....