Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.87

on 7 July 2000
My current passion is reading travel related books as I will invariably never have the time or money to do anything like it myself! Having exhausted the various adventures of Bill Bryson I moved around a variety of authors and happened upon this particular book. The rave reviews that fellow Amazon users had bestowed upon this particular piece encouraged me to buy the book and make my own mind up. Having done so I found the book full of interesting information, comical capers and fascinating facts. Peter Moore tells the story in his own inimitable way and enjoys a special rapport with his audience that he seemingly knows will be enjoying the tales he tells so delightfully. From someone who travels so well he is cleverly able to impart the real feel of his adventures to those of those who don't have the same opportunities. So an excellent read and well recommended to anyone who likes travel, adventure and a bit of fun. Oh, and prepare to finish the book very quickly!
on 17 May 2004
I'm not normally a fan of travel writing...maybe Magenta Divine wandering around third world countries in pink stilleto's and sunglasses prejudiced me a bit. To be honest I picked this book up because it had a tank on the front cover & I anticipated something horrible happening to another smug travel writer. What I found was a real gem.
Peter Moore decided to backpack from London to Sydney overland. Travelling through some pretty rough places (war torn Bosnia, Kurdistan, Taliban Afganistan). He also illegally entered Tibet & bluffed his way into Laos. When he said he travelled from "London to Sydney the hard way" he wasn't kidding! Rather than being a tale of horror or another lonely planet publication this book has a real sense of humour & is truly different. Peter Moore can laugh at what he encounter's, but be complementing it at the same time. Obviously he has to pack 8 months & 25 countries into a paperback, but at the same time he doesn't skimp on the detail. If you check out his website he's got all his photo's uploaded... this is such a good idea why don't other authors do it?
I'm off to buy his other books. DON'T MISS THIS ONE!
on 28 July 2003
Clearly there’s loads of travel books around right now, everyone’s doing them, maybe it’s writing about where you lived as a child, then writing where you lived as an adult once you’re returned to where you lived as a child, or maybe travelling around a country with a fridge. Clearly to stand out you’ve got to do something different to stand out.
Well, Peter Moore does just that in this book – an Australian who’s been working in London decided he was going to travel home to Sydney. Mmm, doesn’t sound too difficult, go to Heathrow, jump on a plane, change planes somewhere in the Far East and there you go. But no, he didn’t want to do that – he decided do travel from London to Sydney without using an aeroplane.
The book tells of Moore’s intrepid journey which lasts eight months and takes in 25 countries and his various adventures along the way and in particular his difficulties of getting into various countries. His style of writing is fairly unique – highly entertaining and amusing and all in all a fairly difficult book to put down before you’ve finished it. I particularly liked the soundtrack given to each chapter as there’s always a good story as to how Moore chooses such a song.
Highly recommended. I’ll definitely be reading some of his other books now.
on 12 June 1999
I read this book because I have a secret desire to do the same thing ! Basically this is a travel book describing the author's overland travel from London to Sydney via Europe, Asia, and South East Asia via the so-called "hippy trail". The author obviously likes music, and associates a different theme soundtrack with each chapter. The author also has a keen sense of histrory, religion and politics and ensures that the book is informative and homorous throughout. It's funnier and less melodramtic than Nick Danzigers "Danziger's travels" ( which has a similar theme ). It also has a distinctively Australian flavour ( which pehaps not all international readers will be able to appreciate ).
Overall this book is highly recommended ( especially if you dream of doing something similar one day ).
on 19 February 2003
Very funny travelbook. This Aussie decided after his time in London, to not fly home, but find his way all the way through Europe and Asia via land and water. Interesting idea and some very funny things happening to him on the way. He is somebody who is not afraid to take the p*** out of himself and everybody around him.
He is the kind of travel writer I aspire to be. Do the fun things, try to be different, get off the beaten track, but don't pretend it hasn't been done before. Enjoy solitude in remote area's, but also don't avoid other travellers. he makes some stupid decisions while travelling, but knows that he does so. It takes him a while to get back in Sydney, but at least he's had an experience very few people had before.
One thing that keeps nagging me about travel literature though. Every single book the author gets invited into people's house and offered a bed, a meal and their wife (okay, I made up that last bit), for no obvious reason. I have travelling for 445 days now, and that's only on this journey and this hasn't happened to me yet. How is that possible?
on 6 February 2014
This is interesting and well written, but there were a few typos. It does get better as it goes on. I struggled with the European section, especially the Mostar part and couldn't understand why he spent so much time in a war zone scrounging pizzas and booze from locals who were evidently homeless and struggling to survive, despite dealing drugs. He does seem to expect a lot and seems to overstay his welcome and take advantage of peoples generosity, apparently never reciprocating or paying for much himself. He also likes to brag about things that I would be ashamed to admit to if I had done them, such as blatantly lying and ripping the cover from an album in the Mostar flat he was staying in.
on 26 October 2000
Peter Moore's style begs comparison with Bill Bryson's - if for no other reason than that Bryson has become an almost universal benchmark for travelogues. The glaring difference is that Moore goes places and does things Bryson never would. Forging visas, bluffing one's way into warzones, visiting insalubrious restaurants with obviously inedible food - these are things at which Moore excels. The places visited in this book are well-chosen, and play to Moore's strengths. I now know by proxy a lot more about a great many interesting places neither I nor any fully sane person would care to visit. Now the downside: While Moore paints a very good picture of the culture of the places he visits, I found his descriptions of scenery and architecture less involving and informative. I was also left wanting more historical context for much of what I read about - at least enough to relate the specific cultural attitudes Moore describes to my more general knowledge of history. Nonetheless, this is a good book. I enjoyed reading it, and would recommend it.
on 10 July 2000
If you've ever daydreamed of telling your boss where to shove his job, strapping on a backpack, and striding off into the wild blue yonder, this is for you. Peter Moore's travels are an inspiration. Instead of the well-trodden path of Thailand and India, he veers far off the off-the-beaten-track - Afghanistan and Croatia, Iran and Laos - and he reminds us that travelling should be an adventure. The people he met, the experiences and dangers he survived, are portrayed with humour, warmth and above all a sharp eye for detail...
on 5 April 2009
I picked up this book by chance after listening to the Author speak at the 2009 TNT travel show where he gave a speech about his African trip.
I know exactly what I was going to get from this book, adventure, fun and most importantly a truly unique experience.
Peter Moore decided to travel all the way home to Australia without getting on a plane and only had 500 aussie dollars to do with it.
Peter's route takes him along the old hippie route via Prague, Croatia, Turkey, India and China and Malaysia.
Along the way Peter meets a fascinating amount of people and some of the most interesting ones he meets are in war zones in Croatia and Yugoslavia.
During the trip Peter stays at various backpacker hostels, hotels in war zones and even in some people homes where he is given food and shelter.
Throughout the whole trip Peter and his trusty walkman play out a soundtrack to his trip.
One of the downsides to his trip is whilst travelling though China he is often charged more than the locals and has to put up with some very nasty treatment that makes you realise why China doesn't have many foreign visitors.
Unfortunately his trip does include a plane ride but you will need to read the book to discover why but I can safety stay he does come pretty dam close to achieving his aim.
If travel books are what you like reading I can recommend this one is as good as anyone I have read.
on 9 January 2000
This has to the best book that I have read for a long time. It is a totally riveting read from beginning to end. As I have visited a few of these countries myself it brings back the feeling of lone travelling. And Peters humourous anitdodes and discriptive detailing make me want to put on my hiking boots again and set off into the sunset.... 5 Stars definately, Can I award any more?