5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference tool
Published on 27 Jun 2011 by P. HEANEY

3.0 out of 5 stars Way too long
Based on the number of 5 star reviews, I bought this book as I have been involved in a number of pitches and wanted some fresh perspective on refining my pitching techniques.

While the book makes a number of useful suggestions, my main gripes with this book are that
Published 3 days ago by G Marwaha

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference tool, 27 Jun 2011
P. HEANEY (London) - See all my reviews
I've spent my career in media sales, selling tv airtime and then licensing tv rights, trying to convince executives to see the potential in films and TV shows. I know I still make mistakes in meetings but one of the most enjoyable but challenging parts of my job is mentoring and coaching my team to really push themselves in those difficult pitches, the ones that could go either way, and I know that the pitch is what makes the difference.

When I first picked up Paul Boross' book, The Pitching Bible, to be honest I was rather cynical, assuming it could tell me nothing new. It has subsequently become an invaluable reference tool for the whole sales team, dipping in and out for the relevant elements to refresh.

The clever structure of the book makes it perfect for less experienced pitchers as well as more experienced.

The Pitching Bible presents a very clear and easy to follow method for taking your pitch and refining it to ensure every possibility that's under your control is covered. Crucially, it doesn't 'dumb down' its approach or tell you what to say - so you still have to work at developing your pitch.

As we all know, there are few things worse than a pitch where the potential buyer feels `homogenised'.....not an individual pitch to a person or group that the seller has put some preparation into.

It's not just sellers who should take time to take their time and consume the contents of this book...let's face it, in all aspects of the commercial world we need to develop or expand existing business. This is straight ahead positive thinking but with many many practical suggestions that brings out the best in your business' strengths.

3.0 out of 5 stars Way too long, 18 Sep 2014

(1) the author seems to have been paid by the page. It's way too long - probably about 80% too long. It's incredibly verbose, I believe that the author has now produced a pocket Pitching Bible - and perhaps those considering buying this book should look at that first.

(2) rather than simplifying the pitching process, the author introduces a plethora of ideas, techniques and tools to be used during each of the seven stages he describes. It's all a little OTT and I've struggled to remember most of them without having to constantly refer back to the book.

Overall, I'm not sure how much life is left in these "How to..." books. There's plenty of information freely available on the internet - and in a much more digestible format. If you're still keen on this book, suggest you give the pocket version a go before looking into this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Pitch Doctor, 5 Oct 2011
I have seen Paul Boross in action and marvelled at the effect his presentation techniques have on an audience. His book, The Pitching Bible, in a simple, straightforward way makes one think hard about the art of presenting; it isn't just a matter of standing up and doing it. Mr Boross explains in crystal clear terms the dynamics between Presenter and Audience and how the presenter, you, can Seize The Day. There's some real science in here; anyone who can make the concept of a Cybernetic Loop simple and meaningful has to be taken notice of. If Presenting or Pitching fills you with fear and loathing but you've got to do it, or you just want techniques on how to improve your already sparkling performance, this is the book for you. Highly recommended.

Stephen Price
Writer, Broadcaster and Media Strategist

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and practical. A book with something for everyone, 28 Sep 2011
When I've watched people who are really good at pitching, I've thought that it must take a lifetime to learn their skills. Now I realise that they must have read The Pitching Bible! I would never have believed that such a complex subject could be described so easily and practically. It has definitely improved my pitches and I think that it has something for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had this book when I first started pitching, 12 Oct 2011
Fantastic... I wish this book had been around when I first started pitching and presenting, so I can really identify with all the practical advice in The Pitching Bible. I've been trying something new with every pitch I've delivered, and the results have been amazing. I definitely recommend this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Valuable book for the novice or an expert, 9 Oct 2011
I thought I knew how to pitch, having been doing it for years. But even I've learned a thing or two... more, actually, from The Pitching Bible. Most importantly, the book hasn't told me that what I'm doing is wrong, only that if I do X then Y will happen, and if I want a different result then try something new. It's practical, straightforward, engaging and funny; I even laughed out loud at times. Most of all, though, it's valuable. I'll be re-reading it, several times, I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars An important book for anyone who puts themselves out there!, 27 Sep 2011
I've always been a confident guy but when it came to public speaking, my head would start fizzing and I'd loose the ability to speak.
I've done a lot to overcome this, with courses and many books. This is the one I'll be recommending. I wish I'd had it a long time ago.
The information you'll read in this book is so useful and can be applied to any situation where you have a message that needs to be conveyed well to others

The book is light hearted at times and antidotal. Paul Boross holds your hand through each of the 7 secrets yet doesn't hold back when it's time to get serous. You will come away from this book ready to deliver, armed with the practical tools that will give you the edge over other more cocky or nervous business types and presenters.
Written using clever NLP techniques, I know after one read the information is now stored in my brain ready to be recalled the next time I'm in a pitch and fear try's it's luck.

I think anyone who finds public speaking difficult should read this book straight away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pitching Bible - don't leave home without it!, 26 Sep 2011
Paul Boross' Pitching Bible is a must for entrepreneurs. Crammed full of useful tactics to maximise communication and the psychology involved in the successful pitch, it's a confidence booster and an entertaining read too.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Pitching Bible, 11 July 2011
I have been pitching ideas, creative solutions and concepts for most of my life. The Pitching Bible has highlighted what I am doing right and where I may have gone wrong. It reads like a novel, rather than a text book, with balance, anecdotes and descriptive examples. It is both amusing and informative without being condescending.

For any professional performer, to be 'pitch perfect' is difficult, yet this Bible will go a long way to give you perfect pitch, every time.

I highly recommend that you get hold of a copy of this book before your next performance.

Mike Lemmon - Director
Mike Lemmon Associates

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent book, 8 Jan 2011
The Pitching Bible is an enjoyable and thought-provoking book that is written with clarity, insight and humour. It takes you on an illuminating journey through the seven secrets of a successful business pitch. Paul Boross explains that he learned the hard way about what does and does not work when pitching. As a consequence he has used his vast and varied experience to create a book that is overflowing with practical ideas and techniques for preparing and delivering a winning pitch.

With subtlety and skill the book challenges the assumptions that the reader brings to it. To support this process Paul regularly offers questioning, reflection and information points for the reader. You are encouraged to work your way through each `secret' and reflect upon your thinking and practice in key areas of pitching. For example, when do you think a pitch actually begins? Who is vital in the process of making you win a pitch, is it you or is it your audience? How is it possible to always remain in control of your pitch? What type of language makes you more persuasive when pitching? Paul Boross offers solutions to every question that he raises. What I like about his solutions is that they are based on real-world experience and have real-world application.

This is an impressive book that actively engages you as a reader. When you finish reading The Pitching Bible you will notice that there is an eighth `secret'...buying a copy of this book will give you a competitive edge when pitching and will help you win more business. I recommend that you buy one.

Dr. Tim O'Brien