4.0 out of 5 stars An endless series of fetch-quests in a sandbox world
Dead Island is set on Banoi, a tropical paradise. Our protagonist (whoever you choose) wakes up in their hotel having been left for dead [pun intended] and finds that the resort is overrun with flesh-eating zombies. Grabbing whatever is at hand, you proceed to bash, slice and hack your way out of the chaos, stumbling across survivors as you go.

Firstly, a...
Published on 14 Sept. 2011 by J. Morris

3.0 out of 5 stars Satisfies a zombie survival urge but not by doing anything well
I'm not convinced the game is finished. The enemies and pick ups level with your character to the point of making a level up largely pointless. The ability to select a light skill refinement on level up such as 10% more durability on blunt weapon use isn't much payback. I would swing my bat the same number of times to drop an enemy whether at level 1 or 40. I unlocked the...
Published on 13 Sept. 2011 by Dan

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead Island, 28 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Dead Island (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
brilliant game, definately worth more than i paid for. solo player is endless as the zombies level up as you level up. sadly, for online play whenever i join, other people disconnect ( apart from 1, and we played for 6 hours straight ) . if you like survival horror games, and love an open world enviromemt, then you can definately not got wrong with this

1.0 out of 5 stars good game, bad buy!, 10 Nov. 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Island (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Well what can I say, first off not a bad game at all. Nothing to get too deep into as there is little depth. but for a game to keep you busy for a while... not bad at all!

However!! This purchase has one major downside.... THE GAME DOES NOT COME WITH THIS PURCHASE!!!

On getting the game through the post which may I add was very fast and in good order, I hurried home at the speed of a thousand gazelles to bury myself into a world of zombies and slaughter. Upon putting the disk into the lappy I found no game? whats this I thought surly not? then I noticed the little steam.exe file on the disk and I felt my heart sink into a world of regret!

Yes its true this disk does not come with a copy of Dead Island, instead it comes with a copy of steam (a free programe available online for a gamining comunity and shop) and a keycode on the back of the instrction manual.

so in short you have to Download the entire game from the Steam servers, not just a patch, but instead a huge 7gig download!!! first off, why not give a little warning of this in the review before we buy? In theory I could have just downloaded it through steam and downloaded it myself on the day I purchased it byt buying it online? the only thing Ive gained from this purchase from here is a box and an instruction manual????

I hate you steam, not just you but everything about you, even if you put a early version of the game on the disk I could have at least had a game of it and then just patched it later on. Instead, due to me being in the Army, away from home at the moment with little or no download capability Im now forced to read my instruction manaul to pass my time and dream of the day I will be able to play it.

thanks for nothing... I mean really.... NOTHING!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very fun game overshadowed by release problems, 9 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Dead Island (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Everyone who likes rpg's, sandbox, or action games will probably like Dead Island. Its a mixture of a few games, like fallout 3 (close up in dialog, different reaction to damage for different body parts), Borderlands (the mighty and hooking loot) and Left 4 Dead (the co-op frenzied action and some scary moments, more scary than L4D). The gunplay is not as great as some other games, but you won't use firearms that much, the combat here is more focused on melee than anything else.

The only things that takes a star off off Dead Island are the not so great pc visuals and the bugs that will torment this release for some time. The game also feels a bit unfinished.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, A Bit Buggy but Brilliant, 18 April 2012
This review is from: Dead Island (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Everyone reminders the mind-blowing trailer on YouTube, no doubt put together by an over-enthusiastic and non-gaming playing marketing team in some shiny office somewhere. I believe this created an unrealistic expectation on this game.

Firstly, I will say there are some bugs and quirks, such as weapons disappearing, bits of the story skipping and other inconsistencies. Add to this, the Steam factor which will drive some players over the edge.

However, for me, these quirks didn't ruin the gaming experience which is based on finishing the game twice in single-player mode - I didn't try it on multi-player - that's just not my bag.

Picture this - an idyllic beach resort, complete with delightful huts, white sand, sparkling hotels and a dangerous nearby shanty city. Add to this a major zombie outbreak, then things start getting toasty.

You can play one of four characters, each has their own strengths, the rapper was my favourite because of his bashing skills. You meet up with survivors and then pick up various missions and side-missions as you progress through the main story.

One criticism which I think is valid is that some of the sub-missions do seem pretty pointless taking into account the outbreak of the walking dead, these include finding bracelets or getting champagne for some super-rich Russian babe. You get prizes or cash to completing them but you can't help thinking that there must be more important things to do.

Some basics gamers will recognise - you can repair and upgrade weapons, drive vehicles (which are not the most responsive and rather `boat-like')

There can never be enough zombie games out there and I think this adds a great deal in terms of the original setting, a reasonable plot and good levels of tension. The game can't cope with generating more than a handful of zombies at a time so don't expect vast hordes - at most, you will be attacked by seems to be around five or six.

I would buy any follow ups and it kept me entertained for some good gaming hours...

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty Product, 29 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Dead Island (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
The product that was sold to me was faulty, the activation code was used, so I could not register the game on Steam. My friend also purchased this game with the same problem, we are both upset by this and will not be purchasing another copy from the same dealer.

1.0 out of 5 stars duplicate product key - game will not load, 19 May 2013
This review is from: Dead Island (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
can not review game as it will not load due to duplicate product key... do not know if sold a returned game or if there is a game issue, would recommend shop else where.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game., 26 April 2013
This review is from: Dead Island (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
It's an overall great game, but the crafting part of the game could be better if you ask me, and I find it to be odd that a crowbar loose durability when you hit zombies with it, last I checked those are made of pure metal and should last for a ton of hits before you would need to repair it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun, 8 Feb. 2013
Adrian Read - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Island (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
A bit gorey but an excellent challenge, I like being able to drive around the game area and then follw the story when you want too.

1.0 out of 5 stars Product key., 26 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Dead Island (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I can Not recomend this game. Because the product key did not work, Because it had already had being used.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Fun, 9 Nov. 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Island (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
The game is ok, since you can play online however it gets a bit repetitive and boring, just killing zombies. Vehicles are great fun, especially multiplayer. To be honest I would buy a different game, its slightly too boring for my taste.

Dead Island (PC DVD)
Dead Island (PC DVD) by Deep Silver (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
Out of stock