5.0 out of 5 stars Beneath the electronic sheen, pure pop Britney is BACK!
Published on 25 Mar 2011 by Truecolours09

3.0 out of 5 stars Not to my taste but still enjoyable nevertheless
Published 13 months ago by Deborah-K

5.0 out of 5 stars Beneath the electronic sheen, pure pop Britney is BACK!, 25 Mar 2011
This review is from: Femme Fatale -12tr- (Audio CD)
The singles initially released from Femme Fatale felt like warning shots - fantastically produced and exciting, they were nonetheless not as immediately catchy as might have been hoped and had some akward elements to navigate (dubstep breakdowns, lack of obvious chorus). Perhaps this was the moment when the melodic pop template (already exquisitely pushed to its limit with 'Blackout') fell apart altogether?

But closer listening was reassuring. 'Till The World Ends' grows over time and has a stunning middle 8 ('See the sunrise, we ain't stopping...") that transforms the track into epic, euphoric widescreen pop. 'Hold It Against Me' similarly saves the powerful, sweeping hooks until the end of the song.

'Femme Fatale' continues in the same vein, with even the harsher-sounding electronic tracks revealing lovely little pop hooks and melodic flourishes. Standout for me is 'Trip To Your Heart', in which Britney's original saccharin-sweet pop collides head on with a stuttering, then suddenly squelchy Euro-dance backing track that feels like an instant classic of its kind. Lyrically it's about nothing and yet it feels like its about everything, like all the best pop music should.

Other favourites include the stridently confident, deeply bass-driven 'Drop Dead Beautiful and the oddly touching 'How I Roll' (which was always going to be a winner with me from the moment the vocodered vocals cut in). The Toxic-lite of 'Gasoline', retro Inner City stylings on 'Up n Down' and galloping Eurotrance of 'I Wanna Go' are all superb. 'Inside Out'(dubstep melodrama) and 'Criminal' (folky flutes, funky beat, chorus that slides into itself) slow things down a little but are not the dull filler that dominate so many albums by major artists.

The track 'Big Fat Bass' threatens to ruin this album during its first few minutes - will.i.am's sampled vocal (endlessly repeating the title) are at first fairly cringe-inducing. Then suddenly, from nowhere, as Britney sings "The bass is getting low" at the 2 minute mark the track takes flight and builds towards a stunning outro - a full-on assault of auto-tune, bassline and synths.

Auto-tune is used extensively but to enhance the overall production: phrases are twisted, notes drawn out, new types of sounds explored.

Here is a Britney album that delivers knockout pop hooks but isn't afraid to be experimental throughout. The production feels at times like everything has been thrown at each track to see what sticks - which makes it all the remarkable that - with a very few exceptions -this album delivers a massive rush of pure pop moments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must buy!!, 19 Dec 2014
This review is from: Femme Fatale (Audio CD)
This is an incredibly strong dance-pop album, highly recommend if you're a fan of this genre or Britney!

1. Till The World Ends 10/10
Massive club hit worldwide, super addictive and catchy

2. Hold It Against Me 10/10
Britney's most recent US number 1 single and for a good reason! This is one of the many stand outs

3. Inside Out 9/10
Really good vocals and production on this track to make it very enjoyable

4. I Wanna Go 10/10
Another of Britney's hit singles, must listen!

5. How I Roll 9/10
Interesting song but so enjoyable

6. Drop Dead (Beautiful) [featuring Sabi] 9/10
Catchy and fun, also includes a good choice of featured artist

7. Seal It With A Kiss 8/10
One of the albums weaker moments but still strong!

8. Big Fat Bass (featuring will.i.am) 10/10
This oozes fun completely. It's creative, innovative and exciting

9. Trouble For Me 10/10
I LOVE this song for the amazing instrumentals and the catchy melodies, let it grow on you

10. Trip To Your Heart 8/10
I do really enjoy this. It's not a bad track at all, just not one of the best!

11. Gasoline 10/10
Mega catchy and punchy, makes you want to sing along to it

12. Criminal 10/10
My favourite song on the album. It pours out emotion in a way only Britney can do and it works so so well on the album

13. Up N' Down 10/10
For the people who own the standard edition... You are missing out! This song is so fun and belongs in the club with hits like Till The World Ends

14. He About To Lose Me 9/10
A side to Britney we haven't often seen but goes well at this point on the album

15. Selfish 9/10
Another great track which could've made it onto the standard edition with it's brilliance!

16. Don't Keep Me Waiting 10/10
This is the rock and edge we've been wanting from Britney since I Love Rock N' Roll and she does it again with this killer outro

As a whole, this album is very fresh and modern and is definitely a Britney record. Recommend to all music fans!

5.0 out of 5 stars An electro-pop dream!, 28 Mar 2011
Benson (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Femme Fatale (Audio CD)
Femme Fatale is really everything the critics are saying and more. It is packed to the brim with infectious dance beats, electro sounds and those `Britneyisms' that seem to just stick around in your head for ages. I dare you to listen to `I Wanna Go` and not remember the chorus afterwards...

I must admit I'm somewhat of a Spears enthusiast. Two years in the making, Britney set out to make a great dance record with `Femme Fatale', and it takes those hard dance sounds of `Blackout' and blends the right pop elements of `Circus' to make an extremely viable and consistent dance record. There is a huge influence from european dance music but also some very infectious tracks that blend real guitar sounds with the electro (not dissimilar to the style of `Before the Goodbye' from `Britney'). Notably `Criminal' and `He About To Lose Me'.

Highlights for me outside the first two lead singles were `I Wanna Go', `How I Roll', 'Trip to your Heart', `Seal it with a Kiss' and `He About To Lose Me'. It's really hard to find a real stinker though to be honest.

I think, with her very public meltdown a few years ago, there are a lot of people waiting for Britney to make a more personal record. These people may be disappointed to discover Britney has no writing involvement with any of the songs on Femme Fatale and deem it an impersonal record. For the most part the lyrics are simple, sexy and memorable, which works for this sound. It would be unpractical to try and relate them to Spears's life. That also means no ballads; Femme Fatale is strictly a dance record with the occasional mid tempo track for a water break.

This sound also means a very processed vocal and heavy use of the `autotune' feature, although I think it is slightly ignorant to assume autotune is used to disguise a bad vocal. My personal feelings are that it is used a lot here to fit the futuristic, computerized sound of the record. Saying that `He About To Lose Me' has little vocal processing and this may be a pleasant surprise for those who doubt Spears' vocals.

Maybe Britney will wake up one day and want to take her music to a more personal level but for now while she still has good dance ability, this sound is perfect for her and she does it well. Failing that, I'm sure she could write one killer autobiography someday...

3.0 out of 5 stars Not to my taste but still enjoyable nevertheless, 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: Femme Fatale (Audio CD)
Me, give a Britney album three stars? Surely not. As a huge Britney fan for over a decade, it's almost unthinkable to give Britney a negative review, but sadly, this era followed the current trend of dance pop that is perfect for nightclubs, which is not something I'm particularly fond of. While I do like some of the dance-pop, such as Eyes Wide Shut by JLS for example, I prefer a more traditional pop sound, so Britney's team deciding to go in this direction for album number 7 is a disappointment to me (although I can completely see why they would choose to, with this kind of music being so popular in recent years). I also admit I have no real idea of what dub-step is. If you like dub-step and dance music, this album might be for you.

I wasn't going to purchase this album initially, but I realised that, for £3, I might aswell add it to my Britney collection. I listened to a few tracks beforehand and deemed them potentially pleasing, so I thought, what the heck.

I read somewhere that this album was originally going to be Britney's usual, urban-pop sound, but was changed to dance. As I said, I understand why they would think this a good idea, and for a lot of people, it was. But I wish they had gone with the original sound. "He About to Lose Me" is one of my favourites on the album; it sounds like it could have been on "In The Zone", with its sexy, urban sound. Unfortunately, Britney's more traditional urban beats end here.

I normally have a lot more to say about Britney's albums, but I find myself lost for words here. While many of the songs are enjoyable, they don't really stand out as great tracks. Fun and enjoyable tracks include: "Inside Out," "How I Roll," "Seal it With a Kiss," "Big Fat Bass," "Gasoline," and "Don't Keep Me Waiting." These songs are great if you're in a fun, party mood. "(Drop Dead) Beautiful," "Trouble For Me," "Up and Down," and "Selfish" fall flat. The singles never really made an impression on me, with the exception of "Criminal;" while I don't dislike them, I tend to skip them.

Besides "He About to Lose Me," the stand-out track for me is definitely "Trip to Your Heart." I absolutely love it. It is fun, sweet, and addictive. The verse hooked me, and I can listen to it over and over. I'm quite sad that it wasn't released as a single, however I do think some would find it sickly and lacklustre. It's all a question of taste.

I recommend this album if you like dance-pop and dub-step. (Whatever that is. Maybe I'm getting old?) While I find this CD enjoyable, it is my least favourite of Britney's albums. I hope that "Britney Jean" returns to a more traditional, pure pop sound, but if "Work, Work" is anything to go by, it won't. "Perfume" is listenable though, so I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

2.0 out of 5 stars Was Britney really back?, 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: Femme Fatale (Audio CD)
It was a great release at the time, it got fans excited and waiting at the edge of their seats. However upon purchasing the album I felt like it was just an attempt to create the best dance club pop song one after the other, with the exception of "Criminal". There were some highlights of the album, The infectious "Till The World Ends", the cheeky "Gasoline" and "Up 'N' Down" with the 80's "Good Life" sample. I know a lot of fans who praised the album for being one of her best, personally I don't think it's in the same league as the beautifully crafted In The Zone or Blackout. Overall I think the album is ok, it's not amazing but it's not really bad either. Britney's lack of involvement is so obvious here that it could be someone else singing the songs, plus not penning a single track and the latter half of the track listing seems like filler, "Seal It with a Kiss" and "Trouble for Me" sound like poorly produced demo's and compared to some of the demo's that have been leaked, it's a wonder how they finalised the track listing. Let's hope that her next album will be even better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but still a must-own [4.5/5 stars]..., 23 Mar 2011
AyJay (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Femme Fatale -12tr- (Audio CD)
FEMME FATALE is the seventh studio album by Britney Spears and took two years to write and record.

Her label [Jive] decided to make FEMME FATALE a closely themed album, formed around the sound and feelings of clubs. Musically the tracks are heavily influenced by European electronic music rather American ones, so it sounds fresh and a bit different to Britney's American fanbase in comparison to their usual club tracks [whilst to our ears some of the tracks will bring other songs to our minds. I like the deja-vu effect of using vaguely familiar beats, but it's not new to her European fanbase].

The executive producers and chief song writers are Dr Luke and Max Martin [he's responsible for Baby One More Time]. The list of individual track writers and producers include the likes of Ammo, Billboard, Benny Blanco, Bloodshy & Avant, Darkchild, Dream Machine, Fraser T. Smith, JMIKE, Henrik Jonback, Magnus, Oligee, Sandy Vee, Shellback, Stargate and Will.I.am.

A common problem with all dance/pop albums is that the similar styles used for the tracks means that everything seems to flow together too well at times; and the main issue that people will have with FEMME FATALE is that this issue - and the fact that this is a album with a rather limited theme - means that there's just not much in the way of variety in the tracks, so an in depth track by track breakdown isn't really necessary for this review: The pace and depth of the music is more or less the same throughout the album and the lyrical content of the songs is either in the theme of dancing and music or men and hook-ups, and that's it from beginning to end.

Having said that there are a few exceptions on here, to separate the tracks musically from the strong club overtones found on the majority of the tracks; 'How I Roll', 'Drop Dead Beautiful', 'Big Fat Bass' and 'Down n Up' lean strongly towards R&B. 'Don't Keep Me Waiting' has rockier overtones, whilst the music used for the tracks 'Criminal' and 'Selfish' is lighter and the lyrics are arguably a bit more poppy then everything else here, but still has the same R&B undertones like the tracks on Britney's 'In The Zone' album had.

Britney herself claimed that FEMME FATALE has a few mid-tempo tracks that could be counted as ballads* - well they must have not made the final cut, because the album's slowest track is 'He About To Lose Me' and that again is the same R&B/pop hybrid that her 'In The Zone' album focused on. 'Criminal' and 'Selfish' are in the mid range, but no-one would view those as ballads.

So far there have been two singles taken from FEMME FATALE; 'Hold It Against Me' (which went to #1 in 13 countries) and 'Till The World Ends' [you can vote for your favourite track to be the third single over on YouTube].

I really liked 'Hold It Against Me' at first as it was different to Britney's traditional faux R&B/pop releases, but her record label made a big mistake by following it up with a second single that has the same lyrical content, so the second single was guaranteed not to receive as much attention. And although it hasn't been as successful I do prefer 'Till The World Ends': The music is darker and grittier then single one and the song is lyrically stronger then any of her singles for the last few years; It may be a basic dance-in-a-club number, but the sexual suggestions are there and are subtle enough that it's not cheesy, roll your eyes or lewd. Best of all? There is some autotune here - especially in the bridge - but much less than there is on other tracks.

My favourite track is 'I Wanna Go' - if it gets released as a single I'd be interested in buying any remixes. The producers also use what sounds like a recording of someone whistling to accompany the music in the bridge, which hooks me in.

For me the other standouts are:

'Inside Out' stands out to me as it's a little bit grittier to the other tracks and the lyrics [she's trying to break up with someone, but ends up begging him for one final, ahem, happy time session] sound so lost and defeated - which is quite an achievement since she's singing someone else's song.

The Cheeky, playful bridge to 'How I Roll' is stuck in my head. Surely the writers knew what they were doing when they used "kitty cat" shortly after the word 'Posse'? Either way it's stuck in my head and I have to be careful not to warble out the incorrect lyrics whilst buying bread at Sainsburys...

'Drop Dead Beautiful' - I have no idea who Sabi is, but she sounds just like Ke$ha. Britney's voice is altered and stretched with different vocal effects on this track the most, but this and the rent-a-rapper combine to make this one of my guilty pleasures and most listened to tracks. Britney even does a spot of faux rapping in the bridge.

I adore the intro to 'Seal It With A Kiss'; The music takes the song to another level, though I like the lyrics too - she's starting a relationship and is trying to keep it hidden. Hidden from the press?

'Trouble For Me' is similar to the next track [Criminal] as the lyrics are about being attracted to some who you know is no good for you, but unlike the next track the music is heavy and has a heavy beat - it sorts of gives you a sense of being in a smoky club and seeing someone yourself.

'Criminal' has mid-range music that is a throwback to Britney's 'In The Zone era and it can definitely be described as R&B, with no strong electro overtones. The falling-for-a-bad-boy-I-know-I-shouldn't fits in with her ex and almost comes of as being personal to her. This is very radio friendly and I think it would be a strong single as it sounds different to the previous two from this album.

'Down N Up' is another dance-in-a-club track, but the music and catchy chorus are both infectious. It contains a sample from something that is on the tip of my tongue - so maddening trying to remember what.
[Update: Truecolours09 reminded me that the sample is from Inner City 'Good Life]

'He About To Lose Me' is a immediate standout as the music to it is the only track not to have dance/eltro overtones and it has the most natural vocals. Listening to the song properly reveals that the lyrics are strong too - she's bored of her dead-end relationship and is about to end it and go of with someone else she meets at a club. I don't know why this track is only a bonus one and isn't on the tracklist for her regular edition of the U.S. album; it could have been a hit and been huge on the airwaves. What a waste.

'Selfish' is sort of a dance version of the previous track. Britney is intending to think of herself and pick up someone to take back home, but they'll be doing what she wants to do for her pleasure.

This isn't to say I don't like the other tracks - I do like everything on here and can warble [at least] a few lines to everything else on offer here, it's just that the above tracks hooked me in straightaway and the above mentioned tracks are the ones that I've listened to most often and have added to various playlists on my Ipod.

There is only one track on the album that I would class as a filler and that is the Will.I.am featured 'Big Fat Bass', and this isn't pierce-my-ears-with-a-knitting-needle awful and I don't skip it, even though it tends to irritate me. I like the music to it, but Will.I.am doesn't add much to the song and I find the highly repetitive lyrics annoying. Observe; I can be the treble baby, you can be the bass, you can be the bass, you can be the bass. Repeat about a hundred times - and the bad thing is that I'm not exaggerating by much [I suspect that Will.I.am gave her an BEP album outtake].

I didn't know what my final rating would be until I'd finished writing my review. On one hand I love dancy, electro music and after listening to the album over and over [it was leaked online at the beginning of March] I still don't skip over any of the tracks, but on the other hand this is Britney's most impersonal album as the songs could be sung by anyone and she hasn't added anything of her own.

Plus, the order of the tracklist places several songs with similar lyrics next to each other which is never a good idea as everything flows into one big jumble. The chosen theme doesn't help this any as it limits what you can actually write and sing about; Which isn't to bad when you just want nice, upbeat music to get ready for going out to, but it has all been done thousands of times.

Although I do enjoy FEMME FATALE for what it is, for some reason I'm left with a can't-put-my-finger-on-it feeling that something is missing from the album, so let's write down any niggles and see:

A) Britney herself has not co-wrote any of the tracks which is very disappointing. She was never known as a gifted wordsmith ['Everytime' was her peak], but even her Blackout album which was wrote and recorded at the height of what is commonly known as her 'pink wig' crazy days period featured two songs that she wrote.

B) I've always wondered about the now commonplace use of autotune and constant miming. These annoyances only started being a staple with Britney Spears albums following her marriages, children, divorces, breakdown and Blackout album. Yes, vocal effects do tie in nicely with the lively electro synths, but whilst she may never be mistaken for Mariah Carey, Britney does have a pleasant voice with a distinctive purr to it, so I find it frustrating and lazy that she and her label use these fail-safe tactics when she is capable of live performances. If she is not actually yet at the point where she feels able to preform again, then [I mean this in the nicest way possible] maybe she shouldn't be releasing new music.

C) Also frustrating; It's a little known fact that Britney can play the piano, so again I wonder why she doesn't put this additional musical talent to good use. The chords in past single 'Everytime' and promotional-only single 'Someday (I'll Understand)' were wrote by Britney, and the instruments used in the studios were also played by her. My point is that it's a wasted opportunity for stamping some personal creativity onto her albums not to incorporate some of these skills in her work.

I suppose the main thing that bothers me here is the fact that FEMME FATALE doesn't have any real personality to it. Every single track is catchy, slickly produced and strong enough to be used as a single release, but nothing screams "this is Britney Spears".

Despite the lack of the X factor for me, I still view FEMME FATALE as a very solid album and I think it's her strongest one to date. In fact I'd describe it as a near-perfect mix of my other favourite releases of Britneys: FEMME FATALE has the lyrical blend of her pop/R&B album 'In The Zone', paired with the grittiness of the electro music from her 'Blackout' album. If you enjoyed either of those albums you'll love this as much as I do.

The regular UK edition of FEMME FATALE features four tracks [Up 'n' Down, He About To Lose Me, Selfish and Don't Keep Me Waiting] which aren't included on the regular American edition of the album, so we're getting our monies worth as the bonus material is all strong enough to be used as single releases.

The Japanese edition features a 17th track; 'Scary'.

This is musically similar to 'He About To Lose Me' and would have made a nice addition to the regular album for more versatility. This is probably what Britney was referring to when she mentioned the ballads - she's singing about the memories of a ex. Nothing new, but it shows that she can indeed sing without mechanical aids.

5.0 out of 5 stars STILL A BRITNEY FAN, 26 July 2014
This review is from: Femme Fatale (Audio CD)
NOT QUITE SURE WHAT TO EXPECT FROM THIS AS BRITNEYS OLDER STUFF SEEMED BETTER TO LISTEN TOO.
I WATCHED THE DVD OF FEMME FATALE AND IT WAS VERY GOOD APART FROM HER DANCING WAS NOT SO AS ENTHUSIASTICALLY PERFORMED AS HER 'LAS VEGAS TOUR' WHEN SHE WAS YOUNGER.
I SUPPOSE SHE HAS HAD KIDS AND DID HER BEST SHAME SHE MIMED MOST OF THE SONGS.
SO I THOUGHT ID HAVE THE CD FOR MY BRITNEY COLLECTION IT DOES GET BETTER THE MORE YOU LISTEN TO IT AND LIKE IT ON MY MP3 TOO AND ALTHOUGH THIS CD IS MORE 'CLUB LIKE DANCING' IT'S PRETTY GOOD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing... Britney at her best!, 3 April 2011
What an album! Britney at her absolute best. There really is not a bad song on here, you can put it on and not have to skip through. Don't be expecting any ballads. Pure pop and dance. All the songs are really catchy and will get you ready to go out on the town and dance in front of the mirror :) Well worth getting the deluxe version as he about to lose me is a standout track, Britneys vocals great on this. Selfish very catchy too. Other highlights for me are Till the world ends, Inside out, drop dead beautiful. In fact most of them are great. You won't be dissapointed whether you are a britney fan normally or not!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Japanese Version Is The Best!, 19 Aug 2014
This review is from: FEMME FATALE +bonus (Audio CD)
I received this masterpiece in excellent conditions! I love this version because is the Japanese edition and Japanese versions of cds are always wonderful and incredible!! The most exciting tracks are Till The World Ends, Hold It Against Me, Inside Out, I Wanna Go, How I Roll, Drop Dead Beautiful, Big Fat Bass, Trouble For Me, Criminal, Up 'N' Down and Scary!! Britney is the one and only queen of pop music!! She deserves the throne!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Britney's best in years!!, 26 Mar 2011
This review is from: Femme Fatale -12tr- (Audio CD)
Britney Spears has never had the best voice in the world. But what she does have is great vocal delivery and timing, and has a unique voice which is instantly recognizable. Not since 2000's "Oops I Did It Again" have loved a Britney Spears album so much.

It may have something to do with Max Martin being absent from "In The Zone", "Blackout", "Circus" (except for "If You Seek Amy"). But now he is back as executive producer, and has written & produced 7 tracks on "Femme Fatale".
This album is an absolute dance album, big on the beats, european chords, and electronic sounds. There IS a fair degree of autotune but it works with the tracks that use it. On the tracks that don't use it, Britney sounds like she is making alot more of an effort than she did on the rather terrible "circus".

The best thing about the lyrics on this album, is that she is finally not singing about being in the media, or being famous, blah blah. That got old and I am glad she dumped it, along with her urban sound in favour of dance with European writing structures....

Til The Word Ends - This track sets the tone for the entire album. Dancey hands in the air energy, a great opener from Max Martin, and co-written by Ke$ha.

Hold It Against Me - Britney's best single since "Gimme More", maybe even "Oops I Did It Again". Typical Max Martin chords, and this Euro flavoured dance suits Britney to the ground.

Inside Out - More Max Martin, and this is a slower dubstep style track, which has influences of his old sound with "Baby One More Time" or "Oops I Did It Again". I love it, and even has lyrical references to her early singles in the chorus.

I Wanna Go - THIS is brilliant. A full on dance track, thanks again Max Martin. Rather naughty lyrics about the need to "need release".... It is a smash, great production, and in parts reminds me of E Type, a Swedish Eurodance star who's also worked with Max Martin. Love it, and maybe my fave.

How I Roll - The only song I hate on this album. I have tried and tried but it's just awful. It's a bad version of "Toxic", and is just a terribly written song from Bloodshy. They produce alot of rubbish at the best of times, and this is no exception. Just a big old mess, and hideous to the ears.

(Drop Dead) Beatiful - This is more like it. Back to dance, though not as fast as the earlier tracks. This tracks goes a little into "Blackout" territory which is a good thing. Just better writing. Only bad thing is that the chorus is heavy on the autotune. But it works.

Seal It With A Kiss - Max Martin again, and the pace is getting slightly faster again. This song could probably have been on Ke$ha's album but it's still a good pop song.

Big Fat Bass (feat Will.i.am) - I can't stand the Black Eyed Peas, so I was ready to despise this collaboration. BUT I was wrong, it's an absolute dance stormer, and catchy as hell. The production is incredible and has a very European sound to it. Freaking HUGE.

Trouble For Me - Sticking with dance, we start hearing a little trance influences, with another hint of "Blackout". By now I have formed the opnion Ms Spears is BACK with a vengence with the best dance album of 2011.

Trip To Your Heart - And the trance sounds continue. A very pop chorus, almost like Janet Jackson's "Together Again" but a whole lot better. Very summer nightclub sounding for me.

Gasoline - And here we have Dr Luke, who has produced a couple of the Max Martin tracks, and who wrote the "Circus" on the previous album. I like it alot, and it takes Britney back again to her 2000 sound, with a 2011 twist. Very good.

Criminal - This was a grower, and I really didn't like it at first. VERY Madonna "American Life", and it's a very different sound for Max Martin. But here Britney sounds great on it, with not much autotone except for a little effect on some words in the verse.

Up n' Down - MY GOD!!! Max Martin has kicked a floor filling goal on this amazing, brilliant, smash track. It's a dark electro dance track, heavily lending from the 1989 Inner City song "Good Life". This is totally irresistable and for me best on the album along with "I Wanna Go". It is also VERY "Blackout" (in particular "Get Naked") and I can't believe it's only on the deluxe edition (The standard stops after "Criminal"). This has single ALL over it and it should have been on the standard replacing the HIDEOUS "How I Roll". Play this LOUD.

He About To Lose Me - A Rodney Jerkins track, not bad, great verses but a weirdly high chorus, with bizarre autotune. Also a little "Blackout".

Selfish - Produced by StarGate, but not their best song. I can see why it was left off the standard album. Though it is a well produced dance track and I am liking it more with each listen.

Don't Keep Me Waiting - Another Rodney Jerkins song, and it's my 2nd least favourite. It's actually a rock track and does not fit the album at all. I don't hate it but at the same time I think it's pretty pointless, along with "How I Roll", I will skip this one.

One thing I noticed is that Britney has not co-written anything on this album. She did alot of the writing on "In The Zone", and co-wrote a couple on "Blackout" and "Circus".
However, apart from 2 songs, this album is just pop perfection in it's current form. Great dance music which has taken over godawful urban sounds, well written pop with the best producers in the business. So happy to see Britney reunite with Max Martin, and she herself seems to be happy about it having recently said she trusts him like nobody else in the studio.

Femme Fatale -12tr-
Femme Fatale -12tr- by Britney Spears (Audio CD - 2011)