5.0 out of 5 stars A grand intro to a new series
In this first book of the series, Captain Lacey's involvement arises from a happenstance meeting with a bereft father whose daughter has vanished, presumably kidnapped for nefarious purposes. Lacey pursues the investigation to see justice done for the family, who, because of their societal insignificance, would be unlikely to get any help or recognition otherwise...
Published 23 months ago by Dr B

3.0 out of 5 stars but the main character is Very Boring with no character and absolutely no sense of humour
this wasn't the usual evil-duke-turns-hero-marries-penniless-but-worthy-girl etc which was a relief. there's much more substance to the story than many regency novels.and the detail isn't too far off. but the main character is Very Boring with no character and absolutely no sense of humour. could do with some rewriting.
Published 2 months ago by sasha

5.0 out of 5 stars A grand intro to a new series, 22 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Hanover Square Affair (Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

The story line is quite complex, with a number of strands and a few red herrings thrown in. This makes for an interesting tale, though with some fairly unpleasant, if historically appropriate, themes. Nevertheless, the story develops logically, with events unfolding in an unforced and natural way. The characters' motivations are gradually revealed, a layer at a time, just in the way the investigator perceives them. Thus, the reader is able to keep pace with Lacey's developing understanding of events and the players in them. Where Lacey is surprised by something, we readers are too, without having the feeling that we have been set up or deceived just to add a twist to the story. All this made for a satisfying book that made me look forward to the next tale in the series.

I read this in the Kindle Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries Volume 1, a collection which encompasses the first 3 books, plus 2 short stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars First in an excellent and well-written historical mystery series, 8 Mar. 2012
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
In the first of the Captain Lacey mysteries, we are given a dark story of kidnap, rape and female abuse in Regency society.

This is the second book in the series that I have read, and I have found them both excellent. Gardener/Ashley has a very fluent style that never feels over-written or as if she's thrusting all her research into our faces. Above all, her characters are fascinating, with deep back stories that she doesn't reveal all at once.

The series builds on the characters who develop in unexpected ways which never feel forced, and the mysteries really are mysterious. Lacey is an interestingly flawed hero with his limp from the Napoleonic wars, and his complicated relationships with his ex-commander and his wife.

If you enjoy well-written historical mysteries, this is an excellent series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Believe I Waited So Long To Read About Captain Lacey, 23 July 2014
Judge Tabor "(JMM)" (California) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I can't believe I waited so long to begin reading Captain Lacey's books. I have at times wondered about this set of books but decided that since they obviously couldn't all contain a love interest with the resulting HEA, they just wouldn't fit into my idea of what a great historical romance would be.

This first book in the series, deals with some dark subjects including the kidnapping, rape and imprisonment of innocent young women. These women do have - if not a knight in shining white armor, then at least a knight with a busted leg left over from the torments he suffered in the war and a past history of some sorrow and woundings - whose name is Captain Lacey. I hope that further truths relating to Captain Lacey's past are revealed in the other books in this series. I look forward to what I consider a treasure trove as I read the rest of these stories.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 6 April 2015
Elaine Tomasso (Troon. Uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I don't read a lot of historical fiction as I prefer police procedurals but The Hannover Square Affair was free and having an acquaintance with the period from Georgette Heyer I thought I'd give it a try and I'm glad I did as I thoroughly enjoyed it. Captain Lacey, an honourable man, is down on his luck after leaving the army. Passing through Hannover Square he sees a mob attack no. 22 and the cavalry shoot the ringleader who reveals that he believes his daughter was kidnapped by the occupant. Captain Lacey decides to investigate and lands himself in one scrape after another.
I liked the plot and found it a real page turner as there is always something going on and it all seems to flow logically at a good pace. The characters are well developed and whilst it is hard to like Captain Lacey who is rather awkward in his honour there is plenty of potential in his character. I thought the supporting characters well drawn and identifiable.
All in all I think this is a good read and I will be looking out for more in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crime in Regency London, 20 Feb. 2015
Period mystery set in Regency England, introducing Cpt Lacey, hot tempered veteran of the Peninsula war and amateur detective. It's derivative but good fun nevertheless. The characters are well sketched. Cpt Lacey is his own worst enemy, trying to do the honourable thing, but cursed with pride and a huge chip on his shoulder, not to mention a gammy leg and fits of depression.

We're on familiar ground with the Regency period. We've all seen the Jane Austen adaptations, so it's easy to visualise the clothes and the street life. The story's various threads are resolved by the end, but the author is skilled enough so it flows quite naturally and she resists the urge to link everything neatly together.

Better than the cover would suggest.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-written and realistic, 3 Mar. 2015
Thought this book was very well-written and very well researched. I liked the main character and how determined he was in his search for justice. My only problem relates more to my own preferences than any fault with the story - in some ways the relationships were almost too realistic and I do prefer a little more escapism and romance. I also prefer a darker, more enigmatic hero who is less of a "good guy" (I did not think Captain Lacey's fits of depression helped in this regard either). However, I was pleased to find another excellent author of this genre and I would read more from her.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Start To A Great Series, 5 Feb. 2013
Found this author by chance and good value for money in kindle format which I bought. Read fairly quickly and held my attention throughout. Captain Lacey is struggling to adjust back into civilian life after a career in the army. He is witness to an incident in Hanover Square, which he decides to investigate off his own back, but with the help of a friend. Captain Lacey opens quite a can of worms and finds himself investigating anything from rape to murder.

Very good book. Would recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it., 17 Mar. 2015
As the central character is an ex British Army officer serving at the time of the battles of Trafalgar and Waterloo the theme might seem a bit of a cliche these days but the character himself is far more realistic and believable than most and the picture of the realities of life for the lower classes in that era also seems very realistic. An historical thriller that has a compelling ring of truth regarding the realities of life in the era in which it is set. I liked it.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic story the investigations take Captain Lacey to the seedier ..., 3 May 2015
I have just started to read this series and have found Captain Lacey my sort of hero. I usually go for romance but thought I try this for a change. What a fantastic story the investigations take Captain Lacey to the seedier parts of town and the descriptions of Londan at this time are very detailed, there is also just enough romance to keep me satisfied. It is dark though in places. I have just finished book 3 and will be downloading the rest soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars I thoroughly enjoyed this book., 22 May 2015
Well written. The characters were believable & likeable (those who were meant to be). There was a good sense of place & time, showing the glitter & elite strata, the ugly underbelly & something of the in-between parts of London. The plot was sufficiently complex to keep you guessing and the ending, although not the happy one I half-expected, was more realistic. I will definitely be buying the rest of the series.