Format: DVD|Change

on 29 December 2003
I think the title to my review states it all, Akira is a none stop roller coaster of an anime that gets you thinking ''what is Akira''.
You start to feel for the main character tetsuo and feel his sadness when his world falls around him, And you cant help but look at Kanneda and think ''he's kool'', over all the film is amazing. The setting is perfect for the story. I'd say if your a virgin to the manga series then buy this film first.....you'll be wanting more after this.
on 27 February 2015
one of the best films ever
on 27 January 2003
Akira was the first anime movie I ever experienced and I have been interested in the genre ever since.
The film is amazing and contains many deep subjects such as lost friendship, alienation and a strange love connection between Kaneda and Kay.
The picture quality on this new DVD version is amazing, when watched on a big screen you can really appreciate the animation which, in my oppinion, still hasn't been matched by any movie to date. The sound is also perfect. Although my only complaint is the lack of the original english dub as an audio option. I'm sure I'm not the only who would have enjoyed watching the movie as it was the first time I saw it.
The extras are okay, if you have the original double video box set containing the production report, there is nothing new.
Overall, the best manga movie ever made, updated and improved.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 April 2016
my husband loved his gift
on 1 December 2015
As weird as I remember it
on 29 October 2015
Son absolutely loved this
on 13 January 2005
Brilliant story & brilliant animation. not only the best manga film, but the best ever film. the dubbed voices are great not sounding like zombies.you
can't recognise that the film is meant to be spoken japanese either because the voices match the characters mouthes. and if you want to start buying manga i recomend buying this one, or maybe evangelion.
on 30 January 2014
I am not sure if I am in the minority but I am one of those who prefers the original English dub. I wish this was an option on the blu-ray as while I don't mind watching in Japanese (prob the best way anyways) this is one of those films I want my son to watch one day and I would prefer the original dub.

The transfer itself looks amazing, a small amount of grain as to be expected from an 88 movie but some of the palette really stands out.. The scene where the guy gets shot by the cops (before the child screams and shatters everything around him) struck me almost as much as the first time I watched it..

Abridged version = A truly beautiful and mind bending film, mired by lack of original English dub.
55 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse