4.0 out of 5 stars Revelations you just can't miss
Published on 27 Feb 2011 by Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a Let Down
I sadly have to agree with most of the other reviews- this latest installment was a disappointment.

I think it's safe to say that I, like most other fans of the series, was really looking forward to this book and expecting great things from it. In the end, it didn't *feel* like all the other Mercy books and couldn't keep my attention.

I felt the book...
Published on 20 Mar 2011 by Amy Connolly

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a Let Down, 20 Mar 2011
Amy Connolly "book addict" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

I felt the book was short and rushed- especially at the beginning when a whole lot of things happened in the space of a chapter or so.

All my favourite characters were hardly in it: Stephen, the pack, Jesse, Zee etc. It was basically just Mercy and Adam the entire time. Perhaps that was the problem: even although she's the leading character, maybe Mercy can't carry a book on her own, and needs the secondary characters.

As I mentioned before, Mercy's "voice" seemed different as well, which was distracting. Her and Adam's relationship has changed IMO and I don't like it.

I did quite enjoy the ending which redeemed the rest of the book a little bit. But it was a shame I was so bored and restless with the first 3/4. It just wasn't doing anything for me.

It was also interesting finding out more about Mercy's past, and especially meeting Coyote (who I loved and hope to see again).

Fans of the book...well, it's a must read, but be warned not to get expectations too high. Hopefully the next one will be better.
New Comers: I suggest starting with the first novel in the series Moon Called: Mercy Thompson, book 1. You'll like her if you enjoy such authors as: Ilona Andrews, Kim Harrison, Kelley Armstrong, Charlaine Harris.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a good instalment :(, 12 Mar 2011
As others have said this is not the most engaging of reads. The character of Mercy Thompson has been consumed by Adam and any other male that comes near her; where is the kick ass Mercy I love?! Most of the story is about Mercy finding her roots and near the end there is a battle, oh and Stefan is mentioned briefly. My feeling is that the author has domesticated Mercy to the point that she almost becomes a peripheral character. Mercy Thompson has become quite passive and no longer proactive. Every male tells her what to do and she just does it!! Briggs is a very good story teller and she writes characters very well but this story is a dud. The seventh book in the series will not be out until spring 2013 as Briggs has the paranormal romance book in the Alpha Omega series due Jan. 2012 (info from her website). I hope the seventh installment in the Mercy Thompson series is worth the very long wait. I will stick with the series and hope it gets better; if I were Briggs I would put all my effort into the Mercy Thompson series and forget about anything else.

4.0 out of 5 stars Revelations you just can't miss, 27 Feb 2011
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
As a fan of Patricia's Mercy Hautman (Nee Thompson) series I really couldn't wait to get my paws on this title. Whilst other series by Patty don't quite thrill me (Alpha and Omega) there's something gripping about this shapeshifter Coyote that strikes a chord (whether its her street smarts or perhaps her quips, I'm not sure) and keeps me glued as each adventure takes her onto a road to discovery.

Whilst previous titles have centred in and around the tri-state area, this one takes our heroine and her beau a little further afield and gives the reader some backstory as well as presenting them with a twist or two along the way. It's beautifully written, the characters wonderfully descriptive and when added with some great prose allows the reader to become lost in this Urban Fantasy World for a number of hours. A great addition to the series and perhaps something that will present the reader with something that will come back to haunt us in future titles.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected....., 11 Mar 2011
I loved all the Mercy books but this time.....there was a lot missing. I found myself bored and I'd leave the book to do other things ( like chores!!!). For a honeymoon it was pretty sad, there was no tension between Mercy and Adam. They kept telling each other they were in love but there was no romance. All the other great characters were missing and on a whole I just didn't like the book at all. I will still keep reading because one bad book out of six can happen, but please Patricia no more!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Left feeling a little wanting...., 4 Mar 2011
Firstly I adore the Mercy series, it's different, lots of great characters, I love the pack, stefan and of course Zee :)

Unfortunately they weren't in this one, it was based around mercy's origins, which was great, but I missed the others, it didn't seem as interesting and was a bit of a chore to get through, however if you like the Mercy series then give it a go, still well written and I'll certainly be reading the rest but this didn't quite have me chomping at the bit to find out what happened!

There were a few new characters, I loved Coyote and am looking forward to seeing him in more books, but bring back the pack please and the beloved VW's! :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Missed the mark -spoilers, 10 Mar 2011
Potterywhizz (Dorset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I like Mercy as a heroine but this story didn't reach the standard I expect from this author. It reads more like a horror story. It's packed with confusing American Indian occultism and legends, not to mention a mini Stonehenge for rituals and a very long and drawn-out climax. There was too much talking and telling and not enough action. As for romance, forget it and I'm tired of the device of continual physical attacks on Mercy taking the place of a good plot development. I also missed the werewolf pack characters. Having Mercy kill the monster wasn't very credible either with all those other powerful animal spirits present. But it was still readable and I don't think you can expect every book in a series to hit the same spot

5.0 out of 5 stars Defiantly worth a read!, 9 Mar 2012
I don't know why anyone wouldn't love this book, I have just read the first five and thought this story about her back ground was really needed. I disagree that it lacked anything because it was mostly based around mercy and Adam , I felt the other characters in the back ground all the time and enjoyed finally finding out where she was from etc. can't wait for the next book I hope!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Quieter, yet more detailed, 1 May 2011
Cheryl M-M (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I have to disagree with some of my co-readers. I liked the fact this book was chock a block full of native american mythology linked into Mercys apparent heritage. it all has to do with the fact that when you're born to parents of different nationalities or tribes, then you don't really belong to either, because the people of both reject the part/nationality that isn't their own. I found the subliminal message interesting. I agree I have difficulty accepting how the strong female becomes submissive under the dominant male, I suppose it depends on whether you read it from a werewolfs point of view or todays society. The only complaint I have is the coyote/old joe storyline. I was confused to say the least. Is he, isn't he her father? Other than that it was an enjoyable read, and I would always recommend her series and can't wait for the next book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a great installment but not enough to put me off, 8 July 2011
Before I start my actual review I'd like to mini rant about publishers changing book covers during a series. River Marked has a completely different cover from the rest of the series and the book is also a different size. The overall size of the book is bigger and so is the writing. I hate when publishers do this, there was nothing wrong with the size of the writing before now. Why do they feel they have to make it huge all of a sudden? Do they feel they need to pad the book or something? Just annoys the crap out of me!

Anyway, rant over, now onto the actual review.

I liked reading more about Mercy's Indian/Coyote half, even though it was still only a little and it was kind of far into the book before you found out anything. This book helped with my Adam likeage as well, as I said in my previous blogs about the Mercy Thompson series I was never a huge Adam fan until the last book.

A lot of the other characters are only in this book for a short time, it's very Adam and Mercy based. As much as I enjoyed the storyline in this book, it's nowhere near my favourite of the series. But still a must read for any Mercy Thompson fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story but missed other characters, 5 Mar 2011
This review is from: River Marked (Patricia Brigg's Mercy Thompson Book 6) (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book but it lacked something. I think I missed the usual characters popping in and out. The story was very good and I enjoyed getting to know about Mercy's walker side. What I like about Patricia's books is that I feel like I'm being read an old time fairy tale and you get swept away into another world full of myth and wonder set in todays world. I'm looking forward to the next book, I wish it wasn't so far away.