5.0 out of 5 stars wisemama
I heard Joan Woodcock (the author) talking to Libby Purvis, on Radio 4. I was so taken with the snippets of the book she described, I just had to have a copy. I am facinated by her story, from her desire at a very young age to become a nurse, and how she began - as a nursing cadet (why can't we have that system back?) and the ups and downs of her progress. I could even...
Published on 12 Feb 2011 by wisemama

3.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic read
A great read for ageing middle aged nurses everywhere ! Finished it in almost one sitting - not exactly a challenging read but a lovely bit of nostalgia
Published on 3 Sep 2011 by S. Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 July 2014
This review is from: Matron Knows Best (Paperback)
Hillarious very good reading .I say bring back Matron.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 27 Aug 2012
This review is from: Matron Knows Best (Kindle Edition)
Found the narrative boring and irritating. was she really that perfect. I have been nursing for 40+ years and have seen many changes but most important is in giving nursing the professional status it deserves

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better, 18 Sep 2011
This review is from: Matron Knows Best (Paperback)
Interesting to read how nursing has changed over the years. Many of the stories could have been written in a more interesting punchy way. At times they were a bit like reading a students reflective practice essay.
I was particularly disappointed at the way she criticised todays generation of nurses and our training. Times have changed and nurses have many pressures on them that weren't there 30 years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 2 Aug 2014
Interesting book

3.0 out of 5 stars more like joan thinks se knows best, 6 Oct 2011
This review is from: Matron Knows Best (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed reading Joans tales of her nursing career. But was very upset to read the afterword, I am a staff nurse myself and trained the modern way through uni. Joan claims that the method I trained has resulted in poor nursing standards and uncaring nursing. I feel this is untruthful and rather unfair. Joan was a highly trained nurse but I would love to see her do a shift in a busy medical ward were staff nurses often go a whole shift without a break or time to even have a sip of water, often staying on at the end of the shift without expecting to be paid. We do this as we do care. I have been assulted more than once after trying to advise a wife of a patient on visiting times and the dignity of other patients. I enjoyed the start of this book but now feel deflated and cheesed off.

4.0 out of 5 stars Arrived on time, 1 Jan 2013
This review is from: Matron Knows Best (Kindle Edition)
Was a gift, so did not read it, but it arrived on timeWas a gift, so did not read it, but it arrived on time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shame, 18 Jun 2012
This review is from: Matron Knows Best (Kindle Edition)
I hated this book. This lady is so wrapped up in the way things were done tht she could never appreciate the ecellent work that today's modern nurses do. I am a modern nurse, not a young girl but a mature entrant to the profession. I have never allowed patients to be treated inthe way the she imagines patients are treaated today, she really needs to come and see what we do. Wards are not dirty, patients are well treated by professional staff with evidence based care and yes also with TLC. Nurses today are professionals and not doctor's hand maidens like in the old days, oh sorry, have I struck a sore point. I sensed a real jealousy when I read this, Ms Woodcock has no idea. Oh, and its not funny, humerous, interesting or well written either!

Matron Knows Best