5.0 out of 5 stars Very welcome but...........
Published on 2 April 2011 by James Mcintyre

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Not Raffertys best but ok
Published 5 months ago by Peter Hydes

5.0 out of 5 stars Very welcome but..........., 2 April 2011
James Mcintyre "jamesmcintyre42" (St Neots Cambridgeshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: City To City / Night Owl (Audio CD)
Dont get me wrong this a great value two for one especially since Night Owl has been out of print for years...though theres no remastering as these discs are identical to the 1989 releases.i.e the actual discs have the same artwork so maybe EMI have just repackaged their old stock....but having said that they sound fine and they are really cheap so maybe i should just shut up and enjoy...the music is marvellous...not a duff track on either disc

Jim

5.0 out of 5 stars Great twofer a pity it's not 1) remastered with 2) all the album graphics, 8 Aug. 2011
Wayne Klein "If at first the idea is not absu... (My Little Blue Window, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: City To City / Night Owl (Audio CD)
Two essential Gerry Rafferty albums released as part of EMI's version of "Original Album Classics" and "Original Album Series" that Sony and Warner have put out, this two CD set features the original 1990 mastering of both albums on CD. For fans particularly of the album "Night Owl" which was out-of-print until Collectables brought it back in 2007, this is a plus as these are two of his finest solo albums.

I don't have any complaints about the mastering--the dynamic range is quite good and the presentation sounds nice although b oth could use a bit more bottom end and bonus tracks would be a welcome addition.

The artwork features the cover for both albums and nothing else--there's no credits for who played what or, for that matter, who mastered these. That's a minor complaint certainly but I would have liked to have the original credits (for example it would be helpful for Richard Thompson fans to know that he plays on "Night Owl" tracks 7 & 8 (electric guitar) and 4 (mandolin).

Luckily "City to City" is presented at the correctly mastered speed (it was sped up by 3% for the Capitol U.S. release for the entire album).

Both are essential I just wish that EMI would put a little more effort into this--how hard could it be to present all the original album credits on one page?

5.0 out of 5 stars I Don't Want My Money Back, 16 Jan. 2011
J. J. McDONALD (Coatbridge, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: City to City/Night Owl (Audio CD)
The lovely liquid tones of Rafferty always appealed and I've remained a fan whether current opinion decided that was fashionable or not. These are his two most commercially successful works, and easy to tell why (though don't neglect his undervalued early album 'Can I Have My Money Back?'), each including a handful of hits but filled up with other terrific songs that stand easily beside these. City to City's best moment is the gorgeous 'Whatever's Written In Your Heart', while Night Owl contains the equally beautiful 'Family Tree' and closes with a Bluesy stormer 'It's Going to Be a Long Night'. If these titles aren't familiar to you, give them a go. I'd suggest that they won't disappoint. I bought this toofer a few months back but now listen with sadness too, due to his passing away last week. R.I.P., Gerry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally Able To Get Night Owl Without A Second Mortgage, 26 Sept. 2011
Mr. G. Foxton (THIRSK, NORTH YORKS United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: City To City / Night Owl (Audio CD)
The complaints that neither album is remastered or has extra tracks is valid but to me didn't matter.

I'd long since owned City To City but Night Owl was the album I loved but could not afford at the prices quoted for a second hand copy.

I always loved Rafferty and such wonderful songs as Night Owl, The Tourist and Take The Money and Run. The ease of vocal delivery and the wonderful playing of the session men he got together are timeless and for me won't fade.

Nothing else to say except could we have the same treatment for Snakes and Ladders and Sleepwalking.

Rest in Peace Gerry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic albums, 7 Oct. 2011
M. H. Mcgeechan (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: City To City / Night Owl (Audio CD)
I bought these albums when they first came out and after watching the BBC's recent tribute to him (they took their time) I decided to replace them with cd.; largely because I'd forgotten just how good they were.
Every song on these albums is good and so many seem to apply to only you.
Gerry Rafferty was a great and underrated song writer. I think the reason for his lack of mass appeal was due to his habit of backing off as soon as his work became commercially successfulI reccommend you buy these and I'm sure you wont be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rafferty's solo peak, 31 Mar. 2012
D. J. H. Thorn "davethorn13" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: City To City / Night Owl (Audio CD)
Gerry Rafferty's albums might best be described as labours of love. Once cruelly likened to a bowl of vegetables in the NME following a Top of the Pops appearance, he may have been a reluctant star, but his recordings boast top quality musicians and a production standard to match. Most of his songs are not instant; they reward repeated listening.

I bought 'Night Owl' when it first appeared in the late 1970s and it's the album of which I am fonder. For an opening track, 'Days Gone Down' is somewhat pedestrian and is one of those songs that needs a little patience, but its elegance, which seems to pervade all of his music, wins you over. The title track and the beatier 'Get It Right Next Time' (my favourite track here) were both hits. The second side of the original album is arguably stronger. All of the songs, from 'Take The Money And Run' through to 'It's Gonna Be A Long Night' are excellent and varied in mood and tempo.

'City To City' is the more famous album, mainly because of 'Baker Street', but I don't listen to it as much. That said, all of the tracks are worthwhile, my favourite being the chirpy 'Matty's Rag', while 'Right Down The Line' is another major highlight.

Gerry Rafferty was never 'cool' but his albums are always dependable. I'm hoping 'Snakes And Ladders', the one that followed 'Night Owl' will get another release soon. Also highly recommended are three earlier Stealer's Wheel albums he made with Joe Egan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Converted Fan, 14 Oct. 2011
This review is from: City To City / Night Owl (Audio CD)
Never a great Rafferty fan my attention was drawn to this album when I heard it in a friends car. As soon as I reached home I tracked it down in Amazon. I have played it often since delivery and now appreciate the genius of the guy. If you are not a fan and if you buy none of his other works try this double album you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Georgie J, 10 Feb. 2012
This review is from: City To City / Night Owl (Audio CD)
I wanted Night Owl by the late great Gerry Rafferty to complete my selection of C D's, the price of which on it's own was quite prohibitive, so when this double album presented itself it was an absolute marvel. I consider City to City one of Gerry's finest, so together with Night Owl at this bargain price then how can you go wrong.
Two great albums, one great price, an absolute hoot !

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Albums Package, 12 April 2011
J. Trueman "John T" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: City To City / Night Owl (Audio CD)
After The Humblebums with Billy Connolly, A Debut Solo Album was released Can I Have My Money Back 1972, good reviews. A Collabaration along with Joe Egan during this time they decided to form Stealers Wheel 1972/1975, After that His Next Two Solo Ventures Gave Us, Two Classic albums in this package Gerry`s 2nd Album Release City To City 1978, with a classic soft rock track Baker Street a Track Always Played On The Radio with great saxaphone solo from Raphael Ravenscroft the rests history, The Album sold more Copies than The Saturaday Night Fever OST that Year July 1978, His 3rd album Night Owl 1979 are albums you must have in your CD Collection, A Fanastic Performer who Graced The Soft Rock Charts USA and UK, And The Folk Song Scene, Go On Treat Yourself To This Set, You`ll Not Be Dissapointed.... 10 Tracks from each album Are All Good To Listen To.
It`s Hard Too Believe That Gerry Rafferty Was Never Comfortable With Fame, But What A Legacy He Left For A Scots Born Lad From Paisley...

5.0 out of 5 stars 20/20 but dont pay over the odds, 13 Sept. 2007
Mr Frank Lee Bland (Rockferry) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: City to City/Night Owl (Audio CD)
I have given the albums 20/20 as each track is a classic.

But if Amazon UK are reading this , why are you selling it at £ 23 when it only costs £ 8.50 at Amazon USA .

City To City / Night Owl
City To City / Night Owl by Gerry Rafferty (Audio CD - 2011)