5.0 out of 5 stars BUY THIS DVD!!!!!!, 29 May 2011
Yorkney (Orkney, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Horrible Histories - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
If you appreciate witty, intelligent, ingenious comedy - this is for you.
My children love HH; they learn, laugh and and enjoy every sketch.
Truly brilliant, a BBC programme made how they used to be, before the onslaught of real-life/celebrity dross.
There isn't one part of this DVD that doesn't disappoint - well done to all involved with it.
Can't wait for Series 3!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best thing on the small screen, bar none!, 30 Jun 2011
L. Taylor (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Horrible Histories - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
HELLO! I'm a Shouty Man, and I'm here to tell you about ... the superb creation that is the BBC's Horrible Histories.

The cast clearly have as much fun making this programme as we do watching it. The songs are gems in their own right. From Charles II rapping about the Reformation, to the rock ballad Vikings, there is much that adults can learn as well as their children.

This is history made wonderfully accessible, yet not dumbed down. Series one was a triumph, and series two is every bit as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 out of 10, 24 Jun 2011
Petra Bryce "bookworm" (Malvern, Worcs) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Horrible Histories - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
If series 1 was very good, this one is even better, a truly excellent piece of television, clever and funny in equal measures. We enjoy the programmes as a family: my husband and I, and our two sons (nearly 9 and 3 years old). Even our youngest sings "Stupid deaths, stupid deaths...". Our particular favourites are the brilliant Savage Songs, some of them absolute classics (Spartan School Musical, Viking rock ballad, Charles II rap, Pachacuti, Boudicca, ...), and we're working hard to know all the lyrics off by heart. Learning about history has never been so cool or this much fun. Horrible Histories alone is worth the licence fee in my opinion, well done to all the writers, cast and crew involved, we would like to nominate you for every television award going! Keep up the good work, and we look forward to series 3, 4 and 5!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm 17 and I love it!, 20 Jun 2011
This review is from: Horrible Histories - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Been off school for 3 weeks after exams and this has been watched every single day.
I love it.
Absolutely brill, and it definitely helps you learn - especially when you watch it as much as I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPERB, 1 Jun 2011
TM Reynolds (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Horrible Histories - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
11 year old daughter LOVES HH. It's fun and very, very informative. Brings great historical facts well into the 21st Century. Would highly recommend DVD's for both series 1 and 2. well done BBC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Class Act!, 4 Jun 2011
This review is from: Horrible Histories - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I did a review for the first series so I shall do one for this one:
Why I love Horrible Histories?
Well, I am into history, I have even got a diary account of a family of the war of the roses, and lots of other stuff. Although my specialty is European 20th century history I do love all the older stuff.
A big fan of Time Team, Maid Marion and Her Merry Men, and Blackadder this is just the natural progression from those three gems of the past.

I love Simon Farnaby in Stupid Deaths and his Caligula is suitably mad and funny.
Ben Willbond is hilarious as Henry the 8th.
Jim Howick's truthful rendition of Richard The Third is genius
And Lawrence Rickard's Bob Hale is amazing and yes possibly the one thing that really has me in stitches.

The only disappointing thing about this and series 3 is the notable absence of Sarah Hadland. And Meera Syal! But then I suppose the former has moved on to Miranda which is almost as good. At least Martha Howe Douglas has stayed.

All my family love this show and I am the youngest in the house and I am 30!

But what really makes me laugh are the songs. I love writing and poetry and wish I could write funny, wonderful and factual stuff like this!

Series 3 has proved that this show is not a one-off and hope that it continues longer than Maid Marion did!

By the way Matthew Baynton if you're reading this - I think you're gorgeous!

5.0 out of 5 stars SERIES 2 RECOMMEND FOR ALL !!!, 3 Jan 2012
This review is from: Horrible Histories - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
This is by far one of most funniest historic shows I've ever watched in yonks highly recommend for all the family absolute comedy summed up in two words HORRIBLE HISTORIES !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent DVD and bonus features, 27 Jun 2011
Anna (Essex ,United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Horrible Histories - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
As an adult I LOVE this show, so funny. The DVD is worth buying for the deleted scenes and bits where they messed up too!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Stand Out Series Of Pure Comedy Genius, 19 Aug 2011
S. Howell "bookworm" (Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Horrible Histories - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
After an extremely successful first series, the ultimate children's education show returned for an even better second run of thirteen episodes. The series stands out among the the rest of children's television with it's far superior scriptwriting and humour. Featuring a multitude of sketches, TV show parodies and some fantastic songs, the show makes for perfect entertainment not just for children, but for the whole family.

The series not only features one off people from history, but also some long-standing historical figures and characters made up for our benefit in understanding history. These include Laurence Rickard as the irreplaceable Bob Hale, performing some of the strangest weather forecast style lectures the world has ever seen, often at a ridiculously high speed. It also has Matt Baynton with his hilarious impersonation of Gok Wan. Finally, there is Jim Howick making successive appearances in adverts as the 'Shouty Man'.

The song writing in this second series has come on in leaps and bounds since Series One, moving on from simple, sometimes nursery rhyme-like songs to a range of superb parodies guaranteed to make you laugh out loud. Some can even have you singing along in no time. The stand out songs include Charles II's rap about his life and Pachacuti's gory, annoying-yet-catchy party style song.

All in all this is a fantastic boxset not just for children, but for the whole family, and most certainly not to be missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super entertainment and education for a Fiver., 30 Dec 2011
Ian Shelley (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Horrible Histories - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Really entertaining and educational too!! There are some really catchy songs ( especially King Charles II and the Land Girls in WW2 ). I know a reasonable amount about the periods covered, but this really brings it to life with some subtle humour. They fully deserved the BAFTA awards that they have recently won. Highly recommended.

Horrible Histories - Series 2 [DVD]
Horrible Histories - Series 2 [DVD] by Mathew Baynton (DVD - 2011)
4.95