on 16 July 2011

Asus P67 Sabertooth motherboard
GSkill 8GB RAM
Corsair Hydro H60 water cooler
NVidia GTX 580

I bought this PSU with a little consternation, not knowing full well whether it would support the above setup. Having looked at a few PSU calculators online, I was told that my power requirements would come to 600W, so surely I should get a 750W PSU? But I went for this anyway because I'm a miser, and to my relief, it works! The PSU is very quiet and has the clean, black Corsair look.

Although this should be good for a new system, I don't believe it will be enough if you have an SLI/Crossfire setup, so if you plan to upgrade, just get a higher PSU. I, of course, will need to buy a new one when I do upgrade later, lending credence to the phrase "The poor man buys twice."

Something odd - the packaging came with a pouch for the PSU. In fact, the PSU was in a pouch when I unboxed it. I can understand smartphones coming in pouches, but a PSU? I certainly don't plan on carrying it around with me in public view on a regular basis, so it's not like I can even impress members of the female persuasion.

Also, it's not modular, so there are plenty of cables snaking out from it.

Overall, it's good, it's quiet.
on 23 June 2012
If you've had previous experiences with non-modular power supplies, you'll be familiar with having to stow away any unused cables. The sleeving makes exposed cables look neater, but hiding them behind the motherboard can be difficult as there are so many of them, and they are slightly more difficult to bend. For a 650w PSU, I'd say 8 molex connectors is a little excessive, but in a big case there's usually enough room to accommodate them.

The fan noise is another negative. It's lounder than both my graphics cards at idle temperature and two 200mm case fans on medium, although I wouldn't consider it "loud" (It's about as loud as a reference HD 6870 at 30% speed, or a Twin Frozr III at 45% speed).

These points are relatively minor however, and are outweighed by the reliability and quality of the power supply. I'm currently running 3 hard drives, a DVD drive, 3 case fans, a dual fan CPU cooler, an ATX motherboard, i5 2500k cpu, and most importantly dual AMD 6870s. While there are only 2 8+2 pin connectors, it has no problems running the second card with molex to 6 pin adapters, so overall, I'm pretty pleased with the unit!
on 14 November 2011
I bought this PSU to replace my unstable PSU that came with a computer that I bought about 5 months ago. (But that's a different story)

This PSU has a very sleek finish and it fairly compact. It fit in my case nicely with minimal fuss. The cables are nice and long and they have all the lovely connectors that I needed.
The power supply seems to supply to wattage it advertises, which makes it good.

However the fan is slightly louder than my older PSU but I'm willing to put up with that for a PSU that actually supplies the advertised wattage, and not 200w less.
on 3 October 2011
I purchased this power supply to replace the one that came with my Dell desktop and while it was slightly larger than the one that came with the Studio XPS 435mt it installed fine.

It supplies a lot more power points than the standard one for my machine and while there is not much spare room in the case, I have installed a 4 bay 2.5 cradle in the machine as well as an improved graphics card without any issues.

After performing some research I discovered Corsair were one of the best manufacturers of power supplies for PC's and this is a quality product, I have built PC's in the past which had bigger power supplies that failed without reaching the advertised power rating, so I would recommend using a brand with a good reputation like Corsair as over the years I have found them to be better in the long run. This power supply is a good quality, efficient unit for general pc's, so if you need a new PSU or are building a pc then you could do a lot worse than choosing this unit.
on 17 June 2013
Fan refused to spin up due to a very common fault with these units.

In short: Whenever my system was under enough load to generate a lot of heat, the fan on this PSU refused to start, resulting in a horrible grinding and buzzing.

You only need to check the Corsair forums to see how many complaints there are for their power supplies, mainly associated with a poor fan controller.

Was given the choice between a refund or RMA, at my expense, to Corsair. Easy decision. Refunded and bought a Seasonic G series. Not as quiet, but no horrible sounds.
on 26 January 2013
well what can i say but that this is a Good PSU, only problem is that the fan doesnt stay on all the time so when the PSu heats up too much it gose really loud, Nearly gave me a heart attack. but on the box it says the fan speeds up gradually to full speed, But thats not the case with my rig, I think the problem lies with not having enough venterlation so i have decided to get a new PC Case Ill let you know if this solves my Problem....

Other than that im really pleased with this PSU i recomment it as worth the money if you have enough space in you Case as it really generates a lot of heat for me using only 350 watts i wonder what it be like if i used all the wattage, Ill tell you in a year when i get my new Graphics card, Motherboard, CPU,
on 10 March 2012
Build quality is very good, aesthetics is pleasing. Tested with a Z68 board and i3 chip using inbuilt graphics, this psu runs very silent. When I plugged in my GTX 460, I can hear the fan even when idle. Tried my radon 6850, fan was audible especially when playing BF3.

Overall I'm quite happy with this PSU.

Also could not find any review for this psu which is a V2 version. There's only one site which tells the V2 versions of the TX 650, 750, and 850 are made by Seasonic. I have compared the innards of this PSU against identical Seasonic pictures from Johnyguru, and it looked the same.

Edit:
I did not open the psu, I only looked from the back and bottom with the aid of a torch/fleshlight.
33 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 February 2014
Bought this unit as recommended by a friend who helped me build my gaming PC.
Wish I hadn't...... it lasted 5 weeks before blowing, also frying my motherboard in the process!!!

Unfortunately I'm two weeks over Amazon's return window, so I won't be able to send it back for a refund or replacement. Don't know if I can be bothered to RMA back to Corsair, or if I should just buy a brand new unit from a different manufacturer.

Very disappointed and extremely annoyed.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Corsair h100 Water cooler
Corsair tx650 PSU
Amd 6850 graphics
asrock extreme 3 gen 3

Works fine, Pretty easy to cable manage as the cables are pretty thin. I managed to do a pretty good job with cable management in a mid tower case with this. Probably even easier to cable manage in a full size tower case.

5/5 Great thanks!
on 31 May 2013
Had this psu now for over a month. its working good for me so far.

its not completely silent you can hear it a little bit when on computer when not gaming or listening to music.

but when gaming or playing music or watching videos you cant hear it at all.

if you had no experience installing psu before you might get a bit confused because of the amount of wires.

youtube a tutorial on installing a psu if you get stuck!

See one answered question