Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 28 May 2006
This is the compilation which defines the most criminally overlooked rock band in history. One of the greatest songwriters of the late 20th century, backed up by a troop of amazing guitarists, with Gorham, Robertson and Moore blasting out riffs and, more importantly, some of the greatest guitar solos ever throughout each song on this compilation. This band is a monolith of rock music and thankfully this compilation shows this very well.

my only quibble is that perhaps this shouldve been called 'the very best of' or something like that. In that case southbound and massacre couldve been added too, as well as the rest of the black rose album. The packaging is great also, as well as the music, and the story of lizzy is presented inside along with some great photos of the band etc, in fact the whole package is amazing.

For a new listener to thin lizzy, this album is something which is essential and which is enduring - most serious rock collections i believe should have this amongst them. Also, at such a cheap price here this would make an important addition to any collection and i honestly believe that you will enjoy this, trust me and buy it.
on 22 June 2004
I already owned the Wild One : Best Of, which is good, don't get me wrong but this Greatest Hits package has a broader selection of songs from the greatest band to come out of Ireland apart from maybe U2, who were heavily influenced by Lizzy anyway. Notable inclusions on this album which I was pleased about were "Wild One", a gem from the "Fighting" album, Lynott's solo material, "Dear Miss Lonely Hearts", "King's Call" and "Yellow Pearl", which I was mostly unfamiliar with before I bought this album. Another inclusion I was pleased with was "Black Rose", an epic of spiralling Celtic guitar riffery from Moore and Gorham. Songs taken from "Live and Dangerous", Emerald and Rosalie are superb albeit to be picky I would have gone for the studio version of "Emerald" for sheer impact. One song which didn't make it onto this package was "Massacre" which was sadly never a single but was sheer quality, this can be found on the "Johnny The Fox" album as well as a more powerful version on "Live and Dangerous". So if anyone has the slightest interest in Thin Lizzy, buy this album for starters then I would recommend, "Fighting", "Jailbreak", "Johnny The Fox", "Bad Reputation", "Live and Dangerous", "Black Rose" and "Thunder and Lightning". DON'T HESISTATE, BUY IT
VINE VOICEon 19 August 2010
I was fortunate enough to see Thin Lizzy four times between 1976 and 1981 and they were just amazing in concert, best live act I've seen and I've seen a lot.

This 2 CD set is the best collection I've seen of their songs and I still play it constantly. I never ever get tired of the Lizzy and feel that they never received the recognition they so clearly merited. If you're unfamiliar with Thin Lizzy but just want some power driven, melodic rock, buy this and you'll appreciate the genius of the band. Their best known track is "The Boys are Back in Town" but there is far more to them than that. At last a collection that does justice to the wonder of Lizzy and, if you're not familiar with the band but love hard rock, this is for you.
on 25 September 2009
For all of us, there are certain groups or albums that define our teenage years and for me, Thin Lizzy was one of those groups.

From the initial "Whiskey in the Jar", through "Dancing in the Moonlight" / "Boys are Back in Town" etc etc, the group produced a solid string of hits with a strong baseline signature.

During those times the "Alive & Dangerous" album was the one to own and, in truth, they were probably one of those groups that excelled best on a live stage.
Sadly I never got to see them.

Phil Lynott had a troubled personal life (apart from Leslie Crowther being his Father In Law!) and there was always a sense of inevitability about his future.

This is an excellent compilation (& history) of a group with quite a few songs that I never tire of and still sing along to. They still sound as fresh (& relevant)today as ever which is testament to the quality of the songwriting & execution. The remastering of the tracks improves them further.

They were what they were - an honest band and what you saw & heard is what you got - quality and boundless energy.
on 19 May 2016
If you are considering buying a hits compilation by Thin Lizzy, then this is the one to get. All of the hits they had in the UK are present, as well as some of the solo material by Gary Moore and Phil Lynott. Don't Believe a Word. Whiskey in the Jar. Their anthem The Boys Are Back In Town. Forgotten tunes like Trouble Boys, and the great Thunder And Lightning. It's all there on the compilation. In addition to the hits, there are also some singles that failed to chart, like Wild One and a truncated version of The Rocker. Minus that mind-blowing guitar solo by past member Eric Bell, unfortunately. A live version of Emerald; one of their best songs, is included, and a couple of previously unreleased live tracks are present at the end of disc 2.
Thin Lizzy were one of the few old school hard rock acts that gained some respect from the punks. Probably because they were down in the dirt with the rest of us and didn't bore their audiences to death with 20 minute long solos or sing any hippy stuff. They wrote some songs about being street tough instead. Something the punks could relate to. What's more; Phil Lynott was a great vocalist who could handle the ballads as well as the rockers, and I don't come across many hard rock singers that can do that these days.
on 9 July 2009
I've always been aware of Thin Lizzy and Phil Lynott and the 'hits' and never really bothered to go and buy a cd by them.
I got hold of this compilation and was surprised by the quality of some of the tunes i didn't know and how many of them i liked from all out rockers to the more mellow songs on - at this price this double cd is a steal and a great introduction to a group everyone has heard of but maybe you don't know enough about.
The production on this cd is first rate every single song sounds crisp and the music and vocals really are at the fore ( unlike many recording of that generation).
Well worth a punt for a fiver and like me you might discover there is much more to this group than you previously thought- great songs,superb musicianship and the incomparable Phill Lynott.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 January 2014
This band had my interest very early on. I just love The Boys Are Back In Town. Every other record listed here also, for me, has the same significance. I don't do concerts these days. I sit here listening to my beloved old songs that I can choose at will to buy on Amazon's fantastic music platform.

I spend much of my time browsing favourite songs and albums. I've used a shorter version of this album in my radio days. This one has all those tracks I used to play, and more. There are 34 moments of musical magic which erupts from the very first song here, and carries on right throughout the album. Man, you'll never guess what's playing now. Goosebumps are sprouting! Dancing In The Moonlight is another old favourite.

This is definitely one album not to be missed.
on 23 October 2015
Thin Lizzy are an Irish rock band formed in Dublin in 1969. Two of the founding members, drummer Brian Downey and bass guitarist and vocalist Phil Lynott, met while still in school. Lynott assumed the role of frontman and led them throughout their recording career of twelve studio albums. Thin Lizzy's most successful songs, "Whiskey in the Jar", "Jailbreak" and "The Boys Are Back in Town", were all major international hits which are still played regularly on hard rock and classic rock radio stations. After Lynott's death in 1986, various incarnations of the band have emerged over the years based initially around guitarists Scott Gorham and John Sykes, though Sykes left the band in 2009. Gorham later continued with a new line-up including Downey.
on 19 December 2009
Truly fantastic, play it loud and I defy you not to be singing along, fist clenched above your head or playing air guitar like a loon! If only the brilliant "Opium Trail" was on it, plus the live version of "Still in love with you" from "Live and dangerous" instead of the studio version, and I could do without the truly anaemic "Sarah", a song that sounds like the Osmonds might have recorded it! Then this album would be perfect! But I guess everyone will have their own opinions about what should or should not be on a greatest hits album, so Im not really complaining.
Having been at PLs bedside when he died this band will always be special to be, I love Thin Lizzy!
on 28 March 2013
I came to this CD during a search of some old classic Irish rock greats. I didn't know what album to get so I thought I would start with the greatest hits. It certainly is a great collection with excellent sound. All the familiar Thin Lizzy songs are here and if you are looking for a run down of one of the most famous Irish rock groups in the world, you were be pleased with this album. Hardcore fans might not find it much of a use as most greatest hit albums often don't sum up the best of an artists work and more the most successful songs but I did enjoy this CD.