5.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Surprise, 25 Jan 2012
This review is from: 100 Best Jazz Tunes of the 1950s (Audio CD)
At this price I wasn't sure what to expect, but the sound quality is fine. The mix of to me familiar and not so familiar tracks works well. And it's good for lazy people who fancy a change of artist in mid-album but can't be bothered to change CDs. This set has also given me an opportunity to listen properly, as opposed to on radio or ancient cassette tapes, to artists like Tal Farlow or Donald Byrd, whose albums I've never got round to buying.
Highly recommended, as the first reviewer has said, and not just to beginning jazz fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value package., 9 Jan 2012
Peter Veness (Dorset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 100 Best Jazz Tunes of the 1950s (Audio CD)
8 CDs of great music documented with a very detailed booklet make this a wonderful introduction to a very productive period in jazz history. The source LP for each track is given so you can explore your favourite tracks further. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected enjoyment and really good value, 17 Mar 2013
This review is from: 100 Best Jazz Tunes of the 1950s (Audio CD)
I'm new to Jazz - in so much as I have never bought any before. However, I wanted to branch out and looked at many compilations before settling on this one from a golden era in Jazz.

The eight discs are in chronological order covering the entire 1950s, so I started with CD1 (naturally). Within 10 minutes I had abandoned it and was remembering what it was I didn't enjoy when I heard Jazz. Two weeks later and on a wet Saturday. I thought I better give it another chance and this time started with CD8. Revelation. Working back the way through the 50s did the trick and I can honestly say I now really enjoy about half of this compilation; I feel ok with a further quarter, and the last quarter I still struggle to enjoy.

In terms of value though, you can't fault this compilation - I think most recordings have been remastered and the sound quality is very good considering the sources. I recognise about two-thirds of the names, all the greats are there such as Ray Charles, Dave Brubeck, Miles Davis, Ella Fitgerald, Charlie Parker, Louis Armstrong, Thelonius Monk etc - and also several I didn't know. The accompanying booklet is very informative and provides useful context for the recordings - overall, the quality is impressive for the money.

So, if like me, you want to venture into Jazz and want to find out what you like/don't like then this could be for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars 100 Best Jazz Tunes of the 1950's Excellent value for money., 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: 100 Best Jazz Tunes of the 1950s (Audio CD)
These CD's cover the best of many artists that I wouldn't normally buy.As a Jazz fan some artists make one or two good tracks & the rest of Cd is rubbish.With these 100 Best Jazz Tunes I get the best of choices.Well worth the money.
Please find another set similar to this.
Regards Terry Davies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great intro to Jazz, 4 Mar 2013
My friend Lester Corncrake recommended that I get this album which I did as a digital download.
Haven't stopped scatting in the car since I've been playing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 22 Jun 2012
This review is from: 100 Best Jazz Tunes of the 1950s (Audio CD)
Takes you back to the erea. Bought it to practice my jazz druming to it not only does that but takes me back to the 50's and the smokey clubs of London.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: 100 Best Jazz Tunes of the 1950s (Audio CD)
Bought this for my jazz addict husband to remind him of the times we went out beffore we married. He says its a really good cd

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant, 2 April 2014
This review is from: 100 Best Jazz Tunes of the 1950s (Audio CD)
This is a quality compilation. Each cd has a great sleeve,the booklet is superb,as it gives information on each track and the box is elegantly designed. To me , the 50's was the golden era of Jazz, and this is a wonderful representation of the music of that era. The sound quality is great and there are some rare tracks included as well. IMHO the best jazz compilation available.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to Jazz, 26 Jan 2014
V. W. Arnold (Rutland, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 100 Best Jazz Tunes of the 1950s (Audio CD)
All of the reviews that I have read for this 8 CD box set all seem, more or less, to agree that this represents good value. I have also recently purchased " 100 Hits Jazz," this is a 5 CD box set, but is not as good as "The 100 best jazz tunes of the 1950's." One of the reasons is that this set has a 64 page booklet to provide information on both the 100 tracks, and the musicians. It is a pity that some names of musicians appear to have been missed out, and that Ellington's Cat Anderson played trumpet and not trombone. A broader range of types of Jazz may have helped provide greater interest, but its no use wishing, the set is what it is and that's that. It does introduce musicians that you may never have heard of, and that cannot be a bad thing. It is a pity that the track on CD 2 with Coleman Hawkins ( April in Paris ) is, in my opinion, not very good. Coleman Hawkins produced lots of excellent tracks and it would not have been hard to have provided a better example of his work. Also on CD 2, the final track listed as Art Tatum and Ben Webster ( Have you met Miss Jones ) is a piano solo by Art Tatum. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 21 April 2013
I have downloaded this on to my MP3 player and enjoy listening to the tracks. There are so many good tracks that the music cannot be tediously repetitive.

100 Best Jazz Tunes of the 1950s
100 Best Jazz Tunes of the 1950s by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2011)