5.0 out of 5 stars A perfectly-matched pair of products, great value
I use these products in conjunction with a DE safety razor.

Published 12 months ago by John

3.0 out of 5 stars My god the brush!
Okay you can find so many reviews of Arko on the internet,I won't bother elaborating. The lather is fantastic for the price, it's slick and smells like urinals. There we go.

Right. The brush is SUPERB value for money. The handle is turned and varnished wonderfully. The photo does not do it justice. The hair is a soft boar, and is flaring out nicely after a few...
Published 21 months ago by Banks

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfectly-matched pair of products, great value, 25 April 2014
John (Merseyside UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arko Shaving Soap Stick & Boar Bristle Shaving Brush (Misc.)
I use these products in conjunction with a DE safety razor.

The brush is hard to fault at this price. It doesn't smell of animals (some cheap bristle brushes I have had stink when new), it lathers reasonable well with the Arko soap, It's fairly stiff (which I like) and mine hasn't shed too many hairs. The handle is shaped differently to that shown in the product description, but that doesn't affect its function. It's not the softest, densest brush on the market but it's perfectly adequate for lathering up.

Update: After a couple of weeks of daily use, the tips of the bristles have softened and the brush is now very good indeed, a joy to use. I've now given the combo 5 stars.

The Arko soap stick is a big chunk of soap and is very good value. The first thing that struck me when I peeled open the Arko soap wrapper was the smell. I can see why others have compared the smell to a urinal freshener block, but I don't find it that bad. It's a very clean, fresh, citrus-pine smell and certainly not offensive to my nose. Utilitarian might be a better description, it hides any lingering aroma of the tallow the soap is produced from. I applied the stick directly to my face and lathered up with the boar brush and I had tons of lather in no time at all. The stick is fairly soft, like putty, but should still last a long time. I only peeled a cm or so of the wrapper back so the stick was easy to hold.with wet hands.

The Arko lather is fairly sloppy compared to the harder Palmolive stick that I normally use (similarly priced on Amazon), but I just shook a little more water out of the brush before lathering. The shave from the Arko stick is pretty good, but I think I get more lubrication and a smoother shave from the Palmolive stick. I also prefer the smell of the Palmolive product - although, having said that, the aroma of the Arko soap does linger on the skin and it's starting to grow on me. I will probably order some more to use when I feel like a change.

5.0 out of 5 stars Close shave, 10 Jun. 2013
I bought this shaving brush & soap to see if it would give a better shave than shaving gel. (using a Gillette mach3 razor)
The shaving experience is much better using this soap & brush my blades no longer get clogged up so now my razor shaves better
& the blades last longer. The brush is well made & great to use. bristle loss is minimal. The soap smells lovely it foams nicely (a little goes a long way)
i have been using this product for 3 weeks now & will never use shaving gel again

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the best brush I have used in over 50 years and ..., 30 Sept. 2014
Remember the old westerns with cowboys sat in the chair having a shave with lather an inch thick? Well, this brush provides the same result. It's the best brush I have used in over 50 years and leaves much more expensive brushes trailing in its wake. It's a great little brush at an even greater price. Without question it's the "boar's" whiskers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Shaving Soap, 3 May 2012
1st time I've tried this product, and I have to say, for a good old-fashioned wet shave, its really is very good! The relatively cheap brush I bought with it, is also very good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go far wrong with this., 23 Nov. 2014
I saw a bristle shaving brush in a well known high street retailer for £12 the other day. It didn't look any better than this one, but it did have lots of unneccessary packaging. I've been using this brush for a couple of months now, and it is comfortable, whips up the Arko shaving soap into a lather in no time with just a dash of water. I apply the stick straight to my wet face then use a few quick strokes of the brush and my face is covered with a thick, durable layer of lather. It doesn't slip when I use my cut throat razor, and I love the unique smell Arko has. The next time I buy this soap, I'll probably get the multi - packm, its that good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty great deal- ideal starter kit, 29 Mar. 2014
Ok, so whilst this is my first time using this product and indeed any shaving brush/soap combo I was very underwhelmed by it. It lathered up fairly well but the brush was not superb but what do you expect for your money... (maybe it softens in time and improves). However what was really disappointing was the smell. It just smells plain and rather like a cheap toilet scent. I would not buy the soap again under any circumstances but for the price I still consider the brush to be worth it. If i remember to, I will revise this review and tell you if the brush improves.

*EDIT*- Having used these products for a few weeks now I have some things to change about my review which may be of interest.
-starting to get used to the smell but still not great IMO
-brush has broken in and is performing better (very few hairs being lost now)
-I have mashed the shave stick into a cheap little bowl I got from a charity store and that is much better at loading up the brush
-my face (not overly sensitive but enough that I prefer products that cater to sensitive faces) did not agree with the shave stick being directly applied to the face and then lathered up and so that is why i put into a bowl (also its less messy in a bowl arguably)
-I would still not buy this soap again however, there are so many others to choose from and I would want one that smelled nice

In general as advice for first time safety razor users: stick with it- the pros to de shaving far outweigh the cons.
Pick up this deal-its cheap, its a nice introduction into de shaving and the products themselves are pretty good for the price.
Finally however if you are seriously contemplating de shaving or have just started and are not sure what to do, check out youtube videos by Geofatboy, nickshaves and paulhfilms for a combination of beginner tips and advice and for more knowledge about the art of shaving and best products to use etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Brush is fantastic for the price!, 27 Feb. 2013
Ian Coleman - See all my reviews
As I said, the brush is first class! However, I cannot comment on the Arco Shaving Soap Stick, because I changed the order, and replaced it with the Wilkinson Shaving Soap with which I was equally pleased!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Products, 9 July 2013
The Boar Bristle brush is brilliant and soft for spreading the lather.

The Soap Stick is awkward to use as you tend to get everywhere full of later. Would be better as a tube

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 27 July 2012
I bought the brush and shaving stick to use while travelling but have found the brush to be better than a more expensive brush and now use this brush all the time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thick creamy lather, 11 Dec. 2013
The brush is made from boar hair and contains fairly thick bristles that help produce a thick creamy lather when used with the accompanying soap. There is a 'wild animal' smell to the brush when wet, but it works well and appears to be high quality so it doesn't bother me. After several uses, two or three bristles have come apart which is much better than my previous synthetic brush and I can see myself using this boar brush for many years.

The soap bar is quite hard and needs to be quite wet for a good coverage. I find I need to keep wetting it and apply it directly to my face. I peel the foil wrapper down before use then cover it back up afterwards, it may create a mess if stored in a washbag.
A thick covering is not needed, as it lathers rather well with a relatively small amount of soap.
Unlike other users, I don't find the smell a problem. It's a typical smell that you might find in a traditional barbershop shave and is not over powering at all.
This product will most likely last me well over a year at current rate of use (1 - 2 times per week).

Overall, I dropped a star due to the smell of the brush which may put some people off.