4.0 out of 5 stars Weird but Serves a Purpose
I bought this on the basis that I wanted a caseinate-based protein for overnight absorption to aid muscle recovery and growth. Since USN's Protein Dessert is basically whey protein concentrate, egg albumen, and calcium caseinate, it seemed like a good idea.

Published on 2 Dec 2011 by Boing

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok product
Like this product however it does not taste great so it does not satisfy my sweet cravings, it also takes quite a bit of the powder before it mixes into a moose it normally stays as a shake even when it's been in the fridge for hours. It's good for a late night snack when on a diet, expensive for what it is.
Published 8 months ago by Natalie Kay

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Weird but Serves a Purpose, 2 Dec 2011
Boing (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

So what do you get? Firstly Amazon's list price for USN products is 1/3 off the prices on USN's own web site, which is a good start. The protein dessert comes with a 17.5g scoop and you are supposed to use two scoops per serving (with 150ml of water or skimmed milk). It's a 454g tub so it provides 13 servings in total, more or less a two week supply if you eat it daily. I actually found one full serving to be quite a lot to eat after a meal (it makes you feel full quite quickly), so I may halve the servings and stretch this tub out for a month.

Each serving contains:
23.7g protein,
1.9g carbs (1.4g from sugars),
1.8g fat (1.4g saturated),
2.7g fibre,
255mg salt.

Having read the other two reviews already which mention difficulty in mixing and random grittiness, instead of using a hand shaker I used an electric hand whisk to mix the protein powder with milk. The result was a smooth blend with no clumps or grittiness, although I must say the powder really likes sticking to the inside of whatever you're mixing it in. Like Sarah B, I found that even after a couple of hours in the fridge it was a semi-liquid slop rather than the fluffy but set "Angel Delight" style treat I was hoping for.

In terms of taste it's not bad at all. You can taste the cocoa and the sweetener but there's also a salty taste which I guess is what differentiates between "chocolate flavour" and "chocolate cookie flavour". It's not the most delicious dessert ever but it certainly passes the taste test. Which is kind of important, because the main objective of this product is to give some kind of normality back to people who are optimising their diet for maximum muscle development. Turning an 8-hour protein product into an "instant dessert" is actually quite clever, and I'm surprised more supplement manufacturers haven't released their own versions yet.

It's kinda expensive compared to IGF-1 which is USN's equivalent non-dessert product. At the Amazon price, it's about 1.45 per serving compared to 1 per serving for the plain old IGF-1. If you can live without the pudding guise then you could save a third by just using IGF-1 every day, but sometimes it's nice to have a treat and if you have Protein Dessert in the cupboard then you can do that without spoiling your regimen.

4.0 out of 5 stars A tasty way to get extra protein before bed, 13 Oct 2011
(Written by my 24 year-old son) I have been taking IGF1, which I do recommend for anyone who wants extra protein after training, without the extra carbs. I have type 1 diabetes, and therefore cannot take the high-carb types of protein supplements - so it is really good to see a new addition to the menu.

What is really good is that this can be taken before bed - on the tub they say it lasts for a full eight hours - and it really fills me up for the night. What is not so good is that the tub is really tiny compared to the equivalent amount of IGF or PhD that one would get for a similar price! I did take advantage of the special offer of two for the price of one this month, but at the normal price it would be much more expensive. You also use two scoops per serving, so the tub goes down quickly. The scoop is provided, and a little smaller than the IGF one.

The taste of the chocolate flavour was very good, but I did find the powder difficult to mix with water, and it had a few lumps in it even after buying a special shaker and doing a lot of shaking. Also, the shaker was hard to wash up afterwards.

A lot of guys at the gym say that to take a serving of protein supplement before bed can help your body recover faster. I can't really comment on the long-term benefits or otherwise as yet, because I have only been taking it for about 10 days. But I have found it a filling bedtime snack with some extra nourishment, that hasn't put my blood sugars up during the night.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok product, 6 Aug 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Great For Lean Guys, 25 Jun 2013
This review is from: USN Protein Dessert 454 g Vanilla Slow Release Night-Time Protein Forumla Dessert (Personal Care)
If you're naturally skinny/thin and trying to bulk up, this product is for you!

When trying to put on lean muscle, I generally use Maximuscle Cyclone 1200 g Strawberry Size and Strength Shake Powder. However, I noticed that it was hard for me to get to sleep if I drank a Cyclone shake immediately before bed. That's probably not surprising considering everything they put inside protein shakes these days. So I wanted to try something that was specifically designed as a late-night snack or something to take before bed.

As you're probably aware, your body repairs itself while you sleep (and that includes your muscles), so your muscles grow a great deal when you have a good night's rest after a good training session.

Obviously, protein is necessary for muscle growth, and taking a slow-release protein supplement gives you body more to work with while you sleep. Slow release protein releases nutrients over 6-7 hours as opposed to 3-4. This means you're giving your body more nutrients to work with while you rest.

I've gained two kilos in three weeks, which is amazing if you're supper skinny like me and have always had trouble putting on lean muscle mass.

The only reason I give this four stars in stead of five is that it is VERY EXPENSIVE for what it is. There are cheaper "slow release" proteins on the market, but I haven't tried them yet, so I can't compare them, but I'm fairly satisfied with this product.

FYI - I freely admit that you can get the same benefits of slow release protein from eating a big helping of cottage cheese right before bed, but I just couldn't stand the taste. While no protein shake is perfect, this one is fairly tasty in terms of shakes. In fact, it's my favorite, which is one reason why I never forget to take it at night.

5.0 out of 5 stars usn protein desert chocolate, 27 May 2013
Love this product
Good just before bed I don't like sweet things so this product was just right I put it in the fridge for a few hours made it up with milk not water was just like real moose good product be buying again soon quick delivery using free super saver I would recommend to others

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 25 May 2013
This product tastes amazing, extremely quick delivery. Id recommend this product to anyone who is trying to lose weight and get lean, it certainly covers my chocolate fix!

5.0 out of 5 stars mmmmmm, 27 Mar 2013
Great tasting product, you need to use 150ml per double scoop or 300ml for 4 scoops, which make around a full bowl when set as it expands while in the fridge. Once it has set it tastes great and is very moose like but I used a little less water than it said to. If you use the amount they tell you to use then it ends up like instant whip texture.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, 9 Mar 2014
Expensive for 13 servings. Casein protein does the same job. Tastes nice, mixes well enough but can be quite messy / fiddly.

1.0 out of 5 stars not good, 7 Mar 2014
this is a really bad taste and actually is not much dif from having the protein drink just same stuff. i would not buy this again

5.0 out of 5 stars results- great taste, 23 Jan 2014
really good
i hate the taste of protein shakes but this is quite good
taking this before bed after every leg day i saw a lot of muscle gain in my glutes within a month also recovery time was quicker and gained streength quicker.
i would recommend this to people who hate the taste of protein shake i've tried many shakes including bsn syntha-6 ... this taste best in my opinion

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›