5.0 out of 5 stars Downton Abbey on Top Form
Published on 26 Dec. 2011 by Brett H

3.0 out of 5 stars Christmas
I thought the quality of the picture e.g. colour etc. was not so good as the other series. Also I do not think the story line was so good either. I am still glad I bought it though, so all in all worth buying.
Published on 9 Dec. 2012 by Diana Mann

5.0 out of 5 stars Downton Abbey on Top Form, 26 Dec. 2011
Brett H "pentangle" (Brighton) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Christmas at Downton Abbey (2011) [DVD] (DVD)
The much anticipated Downton Abbey Special delivered the highlight of the Christmas TV viewing schedule in style. There was plenty of action with the central plot featuring Mr Bates on trial for murder at a time when convicted murderers were often hanged and the impact of this on the Downton Abbey household above and below stairs. However, there was a good measure of dramatic sub plots featuring blackmail, romance, ambition and betrayal - in fact all the things one would expect from Downton!

This is probably the best ever episode of Downton Abbey so should definitely not be missed.

The timescale here took us from the end of 1919 into the beginning of 1920 so this will be the starting point for Season 3 which should hit our screens later in 2012. Downton Abbey Series 1 attained critical acclaim and earned the series the title of the most popular costume drama since Brideshead Revisited - The Complete Collection (Digitally Remastered) [DVD] almost 30 years ago - given the number of period dramas both ITV and BBC churn out this is quite an accolade. Reviews for Series 2 were more mixed although personally I really enjoyed it, but few would have had much to complain about with this two hour special. This has hopefully set the standard for Series 3 which we now know will include Shirley MacLaine. I cannot wait to see her playing opposite Maggie Smith!

5.0 out of 5 stars best episode to date, 26 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Christmas at Downton Abbey (2011) [DVD] (DVD)
This is a fantastic episode, undoubtedly the best yet. It is bursting with cracking drama and both tense and happy moments. I was afraid as a christmas episode it may either be too sad or too sickly happy, however the balance was perfect. With superb writing and superb acting the weeks of waiting certainly paid off. With the excitement and anticipation building up to this episode, downton once again did not fail to live up to and exceed epectations. I went to sleep on christmas day with a very large grin accross my face. It's truly a must see masterpiece of television, guarranteed to leave you smiling for days and with a warm feeling of satisfaction at the perfect conclusion to a truly epic series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bliss, 25 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Christmas at Downton Abbey (2011) [DVD] (DVD)
On Christmas Eve I said to my husband 'Only one more sleep till Downton.' He snorted, thinking I was joking. I was not.

Christmas at Downton is certain to join the annual, unmissable Christmas treats that people watch every year along with It's a Wonderful Life and The Snowman.

I spent two blissful hours this Christmas evening at the Big House, among the people I have got to know so well. There are lots of little hints sparkling all the way through about future plot lines, so it leaves us hungering after series three. Very tantalising.

How very very glad I am that I had pre-ordered the DVD. It should be here around the 28th, and I will watch it all again before the end of the holidays, then I will test my will power by putting it away and trying not to get it out before December 2012. (No promises, though!)

I will give away none of the story in case some people have not seen it yet. Well, maybe just one tiny thing? Thomas dances with the Dowager Countess.....there now, that alone makes it worth owning the DVD, don't you think?

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential viewing for Downton Abbey fans, 27 Jan. 2012
Absolutely essential viewing if you love the series.Beautifully ties up all loose ends at the conclusion of Series Two with more than a hint of what is to come in Series Three.Can't wait now for Series Three - and, hopefully, beyond.

5.0 out of 5 stars May All Your Christmas' Be Merry, 16 Mar. 2012
I am such a fan of Downton Abbey. This was a great addition to my collection of Downton Abbey DVDs and everything Highclere Castle. I recommend this DVD to anyone who has not seen it. Can't wait for Season 3. I will be ordering from the UK as we Yanks won't get it till fall.

5.0 out of 5 stars un vrai bonheur !, 25 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Christmas at Downton Abbey (2011) [DVD] (DVD)
My special treat ! I discovered this series on french TV, and couldn't wait to see the next episodes. Following the Crawley family is a real pleasure. I like the way it is funny and very dignified at the same time! It is definitely worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars XMAS WITH THE GENTRY, 13 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Christmas at Downton Abbey (2011) [DVD] (DVD)
Purchased for my wife who is a great fan of the series to provide a memory jog of the different characters before the screening of the current series. I must confess that although i detest soaps I enjoyed the pace of the story and blast it I am hooked!

5.0 out of 5 stars Downton Abby, 28 July 2012
This review is from: Christmas at Downton Abbey (2011) [DVD] (DVD)
This series rates as one of the best that I have watched. The actors portray their characters to perfection and the details to the period, clothing, scenery etc is excellent. I would and have recommended this as well-worth watching....not only just the once but can be enjoyed on a second or third viewing...

5.0 out of 5 stars Who doesn't love Downton?, 26 Jun. 2012
Downton Abbey has not only been a huge hit on television, but is high-quality drama. The Christmas episode is magical, and the DVD is worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Downton Abbey Xmas Special, 22 Jun. 2012
S. C. Canning "Stratford Canning" (Cape Town, South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Christmas at Downton Abbey (2011) [DVD] (DVD)
Great viewing. Part of the best series to come out of the UK in many, many years.
However you must watch series one and two before watching the Xmas Special.

Christmas at Downton Abbey (2011) [DVD]
Christmas at Downton Abbey (2011) [DVD] by Hugh Bonneville (DVD - 2011)