5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent traditional fountain pen
Published on 9 Jun. 2010 by Peter Biddlecombe

2.0 out of 5 stars Skipping so often I'm thinking it's defective.
You may be wondering what a 2 star rating is doing amongst so many happy customers. I've been scratching my head for the last hour too. My guess is the Hemisphere I ordered is probably a defective product. I've not come across a fountain (and I've had a fair few) that skips quite as enthusiastically as this, it's almost mockery.

Here's the facts. 10 x the...
Published 8 months ago by Faizan Nawaz

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent traditional fountain pen, 9 Jun. 2010
Peter Biddlecombe "peterbiddlecombe" (Bucks, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Despite all the nifty pens devised since the first green Pentel rollerball thirty-odd years ago, there's nothing quite like a proper fountain pen. Of course it's a much bigger investment - you could buy tens of rollerballs for the same money. But you can't refill most of those rollerballs - so the question to ask is how much a rollerball can write, and how this compares to a bottle of ink, which costs about the same as three or four rollerballs. My guess is that the fountain pen and ink will thrash the rollerballs in the long run. Maybe not very relevant in an era when you type rather than write, but when you write you may as well do so with a bit of style.

The style of the pen is very plain - Matt black for the cap and barrel, shiny black for the grip, and a standard medium nib. But that's fine with me - I've had many fountain pens, and black was always the best colour. The nib writes smoothly and the grip is not as slippery as it looks. The clip seems very sturdy, and the cap goes on with a convincing sounding click - it's not going to fall off.

It's happiest on good quality paper as found in a Moleskine notebook, but is fine on photocopier paper and can be used for the crossword or Sudoku in your newspaper if you want.

Unless you're really clumsy, get the converter and bottled ink rather than cartridges - my guess is that bottled ink is about a third of the price by volume, so the converter soon pays for itself. Refilling from a bottle is where the smooth grip pays off - the ink just falls off it and you barely need blotting paper to avoid inky fingers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fountain pen, 4 May 2010
The pen was bought by my daughter for a 21st birthday present for her brother.The pen is of a very good quality and has a good smooth action and her brother uses it a lot and is very impressed.The only thing I would have liked was more than one refill cartridge supplied with it,otherwise very good value for money

5.0 out of 5 stars brillant, 23 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Waterman Hemisphere Matt Black Gold Trim Medium Nib Fountain Pen - Gift Boxed (Office Product)
Excellent fountain pen, just the job for writing posh letters, and those letters that mean something. second pen I've bought. thank you, WATERMAN.

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid!, 15 July 2013
I had purchased one for myself in the near past, and decided to present one to my daughter in celebration of passing her professional finals. Superb quality, smart, what is most important is that they write smoothly and flawlessly, the case in which they are packaged has the same flair and understatement of a fine instrument. Cost-wise, I do not understand how such quality is available at such reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Understated elegance., 4 April 2014
Not only is it comfortable to use and glides smoothly across the page, it doesn't scream flashy and expensive, it gently murmurs quality, style and taste.

I keep looking for excuses to write things down as it's such a joy to use and at a little over 1/2 the RRP it's a veritable bargain.

Get one, you won't regret it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Skipping so often I'm thinking it's defective., 2 July 2014

Here's the facts. 10 x the letter e = 4 came out as c. 10 downstrokes of the letter I on 3 different occasions = the first 10: 6 letters skipped, the second 10: another 6 letter skipped and the final 10: yep, now 7 letters were skipping.

I'm not gonna spend 40 quid and have someone tell me not to use it on super smooth paper because the nib won't grip. I tried flushing out the pen with water and even a bit of ammonia, and although the letter e is back, the random skipping in sentences and especially the downstrokes have frustrated me to the point I'll be returning this pen. I'm contemplating whether to discard Waterman or give them another chance assuming this one, was a dud.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smashing pen, 29 Oct. 2013
Charles F. Ramshaw (Bridlington, East Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I haven't used a fountain pen in a great many years but recently decided to treat myself. I didn't want to spend a fortune but saw little point in buying a cheap pen which would undoubtedly prove a disappointment. So, I chose this mid price Waterman and I am delighted with it. I had forgotten how almost sensual an experience it is to write with a finely crafted pen. The Waterman writes smoothly and is comfortable to hold. It looks like it is worth twice the price and is now my default choice of writing instrument.

I would recommend this pen to anyone thinking of buying a fountain pen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pen, 7 Jun. 2013
Dr. H. Rosenfeld (UK) - See all my reviews
Great pen.A pleasure to write with.Very pleased I bought it.Cartridges easy to replace.Everyone who sees it now wants one too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Waterman Hemisphere pen, 14 Mar. 2014
I bought this pen from an Amazon seller some years ago before Amazon were actually selling it themselves. My pen came as part of a gift pack which included the converter and a bottle of Florida Blue Waterman ink.

I must say I have been very happy with it. I didn't use the also included cartridge at all but fitted the converter right away. The pen has never skipped or failed to write at any point, and even if I am working on carbon copies it will work legibly through all three layers without having to apply much pressure to the nib. The Waterman inks are rather wetter than some so may be rather heavy on some types of paper, making it possible to write on one side only because the ink marks will be visible on the other. The fountain pen itself, however, is a beautiful, smooth writer, very comfortable to handle when one has smaller hands, and has given me a great deal of pleasure since its purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 2 Aug. 2013
This pen arrived on time and in an attractive Waterman case, which I still use to protect it. It is a very handsome writing implement. The ink flows well and cleanly, and the price is also very attractive. After 6 months of use, it is still writing as new.

The cartridge refills are easy to find, and also very reasonably priced.

After buying this for myself, I am considering getting some for gifts this coming Christmas.