5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent traditional fountain pen
Published on 9 Jun. 2010 by Peter Biddlecombe

2.0 out of 5 stars Skipping so often I'm thinking it's defective.
You may be wondering what a 2 star rating is doing amongst so many happy customers. I've been scratching my head for the last hour too. My guess is the Hemisphere I ordered is probably a defective product. I've not come across a fountain (and I've had a fair few) that skips quite as enthusiastically as this, it's almost mockery.

Here's the facts. 10 x the...
Published 10 months ago by Faizan Nawaz

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent traditional fountain pen, 9 Jun. 2010
Peter Biddlecombe "peterbiddlecombe" (Bucks, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Despite all the nifty pens devised since the first green Pentel rollerball thirty-odd years ago, there's nothing quite like a proper fountain pen. Of course it's a much bigger investment - you could buy tens of rollerballs for the same money. But you can't refill most of those rollerballs - so the question to ask is how much a rollerball can write, and how this compares to a bottle of ink, which costs about the same as three or four rollerballs. My guess is that the fountain pen and ink will thrash the rollerballs in the long run. Maybe not very relevant in an era when you type rather than write, but when you write you may as well do so with a bit of style.

The style of the pen is very plain - Matt black for the cap and barrel, shiny black for the grip, and a standard medium nib. But that's fine with me - I've had many fountain pens, and black was always the best colour. The nib writes smoothly and the grip is not as slippery as it looks. The clip seems very sturdy, and the cap goes on with a convincing sounding click - it's not going to fall off.

It's happiest on good quality paper as found in a Moleskine notebook, but is fine on photocopier paper and can be used for the crossword or Sudoku in your newspaper if you want.

Unless you're really clumsy, get the converter and bottled ink rather than cartridges - my guess is that bottled ink is about a third of the price by volume, so the converter soon pays for itself. Refilling from a bottle is where the smooth grip pays off - the ink just falls off it and you barely need blotting paper to avoid inky fingers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fountain pen, 4 May 2010
The pen was bought by my daughter for a 21st birthday present for her brother.The pen is of a very good quality and has a good smooth action and her brother uses it a lot and is very impressed.The only thing I would have liked was more than one refill cartridge supplied with it,otherwise very good value for money

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, comfortable to use, and smoooooooth, 4 Mar. 2013
I ordered this pen to replace a Cross fountain pen which was annoying me (it was scratchy, and if I didn't use it for a couple of days the ink dried up in the feed and it had to be washed to get it flowing again). I had only tried one Waterman pen before, and not liked it much as it was a very wide barrel and made my hand tired, but having seen a couple of clips on YouTube and read some reviews on pen sites, I thought I'd give this one a go.

I'm so glad I did! It writes really smoothly, which is a bonus as being left-handed I find that pushing pens across the page often means they scratch or snag on the paper. I chose a fine nib as my writing is quite small and I hate the "filling in" of the letters, and this also can mean a pen is scratchier. Full marks for smoothness, then.

I have also just had a quick scribble after not using the pen for almost a week. The ink still flows. Marvellous!

So, it works. Beautifully. And it looks beautiful too. The barrel is slim enough to hold comfortably, especially for a woman, and it is well balanced in the hand. The matt black with gold trim is very smart and doesn't show finger marks like the shiny ones do.

All in all, a superb pen, and fast delivery too. All the way from France in a week. Can't complain at that!

5.0 out of 5 stars brillant, 23 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Waterman Hemisphere Matt Black Gold Trim Medium Nib Fountain Pen - Gift Boxed (Office Product)
Excellent fountain pen, just the job for writing posh letters, and those letters that mean something. second pen I've bought. thank you, WATERMAN.

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid!, 15 July 2013
I had purchased one for myself in the near past, and decided to present one to my daughter in celebration of passing her professional finals. Superb quality, smart, what is most important is that they write smoothly and flawlessly, the case in which they are packaged has the same flair and understatement of a fine instrument. Cost-wise, I do not understand how such quality is available at such reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Understated elegance., 4 April 2014
Not only is it comfortable to use and glides smoothly across the page, it doesn't scream flashy and expensive, it gently murmurs quality, style and taste.

I keep looking for excuses to write things down as it's such a joy to use and at a little over 1/2 the RRP it's a veritable bargain.

Get one, you won't regret it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Skipping so often I'm thinking it's defective., 2 July 2014

Here's the facts. 10 x the letter e = 4 came out as c. 10 downstrokes of the letter I on 3 different occasions = the first 10: 6 letters skipped, the second 10: another 6 letter skipped and the final 10: yep, now 7 letters were skipping.

I'm not gonna spend 40 quid and have someone tell me not to use it on super smooth paper because the nib won't grip. I tried flushing out the pen with water and even a bit of ammonia, and although the letter e is back, the random skipping in sentences and especially the downstrokes have frustrated me to the point I'll be returning this pen. I'm contemplating whether to discard Waterman or give them another chance assuming this one, was a dud.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pen, 7 Jun. 2013
Dr. H. Rosenfeld (UK) - See all my reviews
Great pen.A pleasure to write with.Very pleased I bought it.Cartridges easy to replace.Everyone who sees it now wants one too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect pen at a perfect price., 4 Sept. 2013
I brought this pen for my work as registrar. I needed a fine nib pen so that I could write letters as small as possible and to be completely legible. I needed the pen to write smoothly and no blotting. I needed the pen to hold well in my hand. I wanted the pen to look 'smart'. And yes it does all that and I'm very happy with its performance. I also brought the converter as I use ink from a bottle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely pen, 22 May 2013
Bought this to replace my old Waterman that I had for many years. I really like the silk printed effect on the black part of the pen. It writes beautifully and the nib suits my handwriting style.