5.0 out of 5 stars Side splitting humor! Too, too much!
Published on 5 Oct 2011 by Jay Dee

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful
Loved Simon Bird and The Inbetweeners but this is some awful, unfunny parody of I don't know what. Hated it, couldn't get past two episodes.
Published 7 months ago by Suzanne Miao

5.0 out of 5 stars Side splitting humor! Too, too much!, 5 Oct 2011
Jay Dee "Jay Dee" (Newark, DE, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Friday Night Dinner [DVD] (DVD)
First, let me say I am a 61-year-old American woman, probably not the typical viewer for this show. My family has never, ever heard me laugh the way I do when I watch Friday Night Dinner. I usually watch it in my bedroom, and once it starts, my husband peeks in the door and shakes his head hopelessly. My 21-year-old daughter inevitably comes and slams my bedroom door shut because, yes, I lose my ever loving mind laughing, and I am sure my neighbors can hear me. Humor is a highly individual thing; it's fascinating, really, to think about what makes someone guffaw and another person just smile. This show has hit my funny bone like nothing else ever has. I love The Office (British and American versions), but it doesn't make me laugh like this.

Every character in this program (or should I say "programme"?), is top notch. I have to say the mother is my favorite, though. She is right on point with her gestures and facial expressions. The father is a disgusting scream! The boys are so infantile and immature that they take me back to the days with my sisters and our irreverent humor. I never get tired of the "salt in the water" prank. I'd say the level of the humor is very low on the intelligence scale, which makes it all the more funny, for some reason. I think the success, though, is due to its character driven nature. I will dearly miss those characters when the show ends.

All I can say is, please, keep those episodes coming! I am sure that years have been added to my life with all the endorphins that squirt into my veins with every silly antic. British humor is definitely the best. And yes, it does transfer very well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great TV comedy/, 10 April 2011
S. Mills (Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Friday Night Dinner [DVD] (DVD)
This is a great TV show. i stumbled onto it one night midway through an episode not having any prior knowledge of it. The set up is simple - the family have a dinner together every Friday night. Every episode the brilliantly weird neighbour Jim knocks at the door with a poor excuse to talk to the mother - in fear of his ever present alsation Wilson. The 2 sons (late teens early twenties) constantly take the mickey out of and prank each other. The mum is house proud and a Masterchef fan and the father, partly deaf, is, well, pretty odd too and prone to eating out of the bin. As you watch more of the episodes you'll notice recurring themes - eg the father saying "lovely squirrel tonight Jackie" at the evenings latest food offering. Its a feelgood show and I can imagine it having its detractors. But then some people lambasted Peepshow when it started but its audience has remained loyal. The characters are really strong, the pace fast and the writing and comedy are top quality. To say the set up is the same every week and to judge it on this would be to miss the point. We get to love the characters because of this and the simplicity of the set up enables some hilarious situations to ensue. It might not be to everyones taste but then good comedy can rarely be all things to all people. At the very least check it out. If it strikes a note with you you'll be watching it again and again and wanting to tell others about how good it is. A creative and funny comedy with lovingly drawn characters. 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go to your room!, 27 April 2011
This review is from: Friday Night Dinner [DVD] (DVD)
I'm a middle aged man who enjoyed the Inbetweeners The Inbetweeners - Series 1-3 - Complete [DVD]but not necessarily to be watched in a family setting. This new series however, is relaxed "Inbetweeners" type comedy which can be watched with your grandma.
And talking about grandma, Episode 3, where Grandma visits, argues with her grown up daughter in front of her grown up children and husband, and then tries to send her to her room - well to me those few minutes were on a par with "Don't mention the war - I did once but I think I got away with it".
Though formulaic, with the same very strange neighbour who obviously fancies mum and is so terrified of his own dog that he has to fill him with alcohol, the adult brothers who love each other but try to poison each other every week and the strange father who prefers to wear as little as possible, this short series had me and my family in stitches and we now go round at home and at work telling everyone to "Go to your room"!
Can't wait for the next series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent show, 7 Aug 2012
thegerman (dublin, ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Friday Night Dinner [DVD] (DVD)
This show is fantastic. Very very funny and I cant wait for Series 2 to come out in October. One of the best shows on TV at the moment

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't stop watching it!, 5 Nov 2012
This review is from: Friday Night Dinner [DVD] (DVD)
After spending almost a year as a pre-order on Amazon, series one was release on DVD just as series 2 was being shown on Channel 4. What it meant was a double helping of hilarious teenage/adult humour at my disposal.

If you love The Inbetweeners and Fresh Meat, then this is definitely for you.

I love the dad. He is hilarious!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 22 Oct 2012
This review is from: Friday Night Dinner [DVD] (DVD)
This is one of my favourite sitcoms of the moment. There's nothing really 'Jewish' about it, even though that's how the early publicity promoted the show (wrongly in my opinion), but it does use the excuse of a regular Friday night dinner to bring the characters together each episode for another storyline. Not much happens by the way of plot, but I'm happy with that because the main humour comes from the characters - the hapless father, the fussy mother, the two childish sons and the eccentric neighbour - and the real delight is the acting, which is consistently excellent. Mark Heap, as the permanantly befuddled but vaguely creepy outsider Jim, is especially amusing, turning what are often the briefest of scenes and exchanges into memorably funny little highlights of each episode. Maybe some will demand more action and less silliness but then, if that's the case, they need a quite different kind of sitcom. This playful, mischievous, spirited comedy just makes me laugh, often out loud, and that makes me prize it greatly.

5.0 out of 5 stars So funny i nearly went to the loo, 9 Oct 2012
This review is from: Friday Night Dinner [DVD] (DVD)
Anyone who thinks 'not going out' is funny has probably had a labotomy!
However Friday night dinner is fantastic and side splitting. Maybe usa audience don't get it but i twas made in uk for uk sense of humour. I love inappropriate dad, johnny n adam immature squabbles and jim's dog phobia. Series 2 started even funnier. Bring it on and stock up on the tena lady folks

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm and funny family viewing, 14 Aug 2011
This review is from: Friday Night Dinner [DVD] (DVD)
Although this series ended some three months ago I find the characters still hiding in the recesses of my mind.

Many women will empathise with Jackie (Tamsin Greig) as she attempts - and fails - to civilise her menfolk.

The boys (Simon Bird, Tom Rosenthal)are constantly attempting to break away from the 'ties that bind' while reverting to the practices of their boyhood, playing tricks on each other and trying to understand their father, played by Paul Ritter.

Mark Heap as Jim, the next-door neighbour besotted with Jackie, is simply brilliant. He plays Jim just this side of madness and manages to evoke sympathy as well as laughter.

There are too many laugh-out-loud situations to cite just one. I look forward to a second series and more hearty laughs. All human nature is here - well, all the acceptable parts, anyway - and I'm sure that most of us can relate to the quirks and eccentricities of this rather endearing family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Formulaic? Repetitive? Remind you of life?, 17 Mar 2012
This review is from: Friday Night Dinner [DVD] (DVD)
Just wanted to say that criticising this sit-com for being formulaic is rather missing the point - it is the constant repetition of the same awkward, toe-curling situations that provides the comedy. As in real life, we find the characters colluding in an endless cycle of disfunction and misunderstanding. Anyone who's been part of a family must recognise these patterns and the fact that there is an enormous amount of love and compassion just under the surface. Whether this strikes you as funny or not is just a matter of taste. I absolutely adored it and just wish the DVD release date was sooner. On the other hand, I'll probably appreciate it more for having had to wait. Hope my friends and family will love it too as it will be featuring high on my list of 'presents to send' at Xmas 2012 (much in the same way as the novel 'Child 44' did last year...).

5.0 out of 5 stars The funniest program on tv., 4 Nov 2012
This review is from: Friday Night Dinner [DVD] (DVD)
The funniest thing on tv at moment. Series one is FANTASTIC and serious 2 is living up to all spectations!

Friday Night Dinner [DVD]
Friday Night Dinner [DVD] by Simon Bird (DVD - 2012)