5.0 out of 5 stars These really are waterproof
Published on 5 Jan 2012 by J. M. Davies

Published on 27 Jun 2011 by Init

3.0 out of 5 stars If that's how it holds up on a walk, I shudder at the thought of running with it..., 27 Jun 2011
This review is from: Philips SHB6017/10 Sports Headphone Bluetooth Stereo Headset for iPhone/iPod (Electronics)
I bought this headset because I had a Plantronics Backbeat 903+ that I used with my iPhone, and had a few gripes with it that I hoped this headset would solve. The Backbeat had weird tubes that looked like they were supposed to sneak in your ear canals, but didn't quite reach deep enough because the driver and command unit was too big, so exterior sounds would creep in all the time. To skip tracks, you had to press for two whole seconds the volume keys. And damn if I understand why it had to either speak or bleep for every action, drowning out the actual audio I wanted to hear. Its pros were brilliant audio despite everything and clear mike.

All of the above to explain my disappointment in the Philips headset. It comes with three sizes of rubber tips, and none ensures a good fit. That is to say, the buds can't stay in place should their life depend on it. That is unfortunate because as soon as they shift of a tenth of millimeter, seal is lost and so is bass. Any more than that and you're looking (well, listening) at inaudible audio. And when you do cram them in in hopes they hold half a second in place, they give you that feeling of excess air pressure you get when you're on a plane that's changing altitude. Uncomfortable to say the least.

Height adjustment is weird, the arm of the unit bends based on the constriction excercised by the rubberized sleeve as you slide it over a few notches. It's stupid because it requires you to remove the set and adjust it with two hands (the Backbeat had a simple telescopic design that you could adjust on the fly and on the ear). The wire between the two units is short, short, short. It pulls at the unit all the time. And it's stuck on some shape by factory, so it doesn't follow your movements.

Controls are good, though. Separate keys for volume and tracks are the real deal. And the only reason I still use these.

Bluetooth reception is somewhat a problem but that doesn't appear to be a problem for this set only, the Plantronics one did it too. If I turn my head to the right I loose signal in a heartbeat. I carry my iPhone in a strap bag by my right side, so I don't know what gives, but it irks me to no end. Audio quality generally is constant and good, something the Plantronics set didn't always provide, ramping bitrates up or down depending on signal strength. Much better this way.

All in all, considered the price and the performance, I can't recommend this to people with my head and ears. The set is constantly precarious when I'm using it, and I don't think I could run without it shooting off to the side. Too bad there are just so few of these sort of things made by relevant brands that the manufacturers don't feel the spur of competition to improve their products. I hope I find a better one at some point.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good headphones at first look, 13 Jun 2011
Just received these. They feel nice and fit better than Plantronics Backbeat 903+ which I returned to Amazon due to lack of bass and slippery after you start sweating while workouts. First impression not bad, sound quality is good as its Philips! Proper bass and buttons are bit difficult to press but you will get hang of it once you start using it. Will put something more later.

_____________________

Ok. and I am back with comments on the headphone. The headphone delivers excellent sound as expected from Philips. It does fit snuggly on my ears but as soon as I start to sweat it moves a bit. If you move a lot while exercise then sound cuts sometimes when the angle changes between headphone and connected music device. While running on treadmill and cycling when the connected device and headphone is in constant place, cutting of sound does not happen.

Two days ago the buttons started playing up for a minute and then functioned properly. Not sure why this happened. But headphone is working quite well now. Battery life is quite good and lasts about 6-7 hours in one charge.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well, design could be better, 3 Nov 2011
Michel Marx - See all my reviews
No question that this device works well and does what is says.
Been using it at the gym and it's a relief from the constant dangling of cables of normal headsets.

Few things on the 3 star review. Mainly to do with design.
GOOD POINTS:
Adjustable Headset. Different sizes of in-ear pieces to suit your preference.
Intuitive controls - on/off, next track.
Quality of Sound - is good. No sub-level noise.

NOT SO GOOD POINTS:
The item is a bit chunky. But to be fair, looking around, there aren't that many devices on the market that are slimmer or more compact. Maybe a sign that there is "more" in the design and technology arena to improve. An innovative design would not go amiss (but nothing to do with this review).
For Sports, the fit could be better. It requires some adjusting because of slipping of the ear buds and the bulky set (despite trying different sizes).

Overall - satisfied with purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars These really are waterproof, 5 Jan 2012
When coupled with the wristband Gen 6 iPod carrier these work really well although the instructions aren't that clear and took a bit of reading to understand. The fit is good although the instruction to 'twist the earbud to ensure proper fit' was a bit strange as they don't actually move except round and round on the output stalk. What they mean in put them in your ear and then turn the to fit but this wasn't obvious, well not to me anyway.

The best thing about them is that they really are waterproof and better still boiling hot tea proof. I leant forward with only one headphone in which given the weight of the other one, then fell into a mug of hot tea. It did still work but the sound was very quiet although an hour or so in the airing cupboard and it was back to normal, that really is rugged.

They paired very quickly and although I use them with my iPod they also work absolutely fine with mobiles (well my Blackberry anyway) so saving money on bluetooth headsets.

The sound is good and the volume is fine for me and I'm a bit 'mutton' although the controls on the earpieces are a bit fiddly if you have big fingers like mine. Overall a great set of headphones which work up to 6-9 feet away from the transmitter which is very good for blueetooth.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 6 Jan 2014
I had some problems at first making them fit, but after finding out how to adjust them they sit pretty well and comfortable. Sound quality is great. Connection can drop out at times, but doesn't happen very often. It can be used in quite a distance. Battery time is roughly 3-4 hours. Works well with both my Google Nexus 7 tablet and Sony Xperia P.

2.0 out of 5 stars Product made of bad quality material, 5 Nov 2013
L. M. Serodio - See all my reviews
This was supposed to be a weatherproof earphone, but on the first week a small metallic net that covered the microphone fell off.
The earphone system to plug on the ears doesn't support itself on place, I have to keep on placing it on the ear over and over again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Crap headphones!, 8 Sep 2013
These are the worst I've tried.
- The don't fit, even using the ear adjustments
- The sound level is too low even on high - I couldn't even hear it over the gym music
- The are really difficult to put on

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, 21 Aug 2013
Good sound reproduction, still getting used to the ear buds as you get 3 different sizes. Been wearing them at the gym and so far so good.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed - sizing wise and hence quality of sound, 14 Aug 2013
I use my headphones at the gym, which includes running on the treadmill, cycling and the cross training machine amongst others.... Even though there is background music in the gym, I like to have my own playlists as it motivates me and pushes me that little further. I switch off from the 'real world' via the music, hence I like to have good sound quality during my training. What I found with this product is that it does not allow me to do so, or at least as efficiently as wired headphones. Here are the reasons why:

* I wear glasses, so they do end up being a little bulky behind my ear with my glasses on
* Even wearing contacts, they do not press up (Flush) against my ear canal as they pop out and leave a gap which permits surrounding noise to 'leak in'. I have tried all the different ear plug sizes and adjusting the actual headphones, however all in vein. Even with the music at full volume I do not get the desired effect and quality of sound.
* Another thing that does seem to happen, and a few other reviewers have mentioned, is that there does seem to have periods of muting. This does not get to me so much, as the music mute lasts for less than a second and does not happen frequently enough for it to be annoying.

Other than that, the product itself is good. I had no problems connecting my android phone, the keys on the headset do take time getting used to, but generally it does the job. If your okay with having to constantly push the headphones closer to your ear canal or okay with background noise from the exterior and listen to music in this way - then you should be fine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only if your sport is tiddlywinks ......, 10 July 2013
These are supposed to be sports-orientated, which is why I, and I'm sure many other gullible consumers bought them. The problem is that they fit so badly that the smallest of movements makes them lose their 'seal' and because the volume is inherently so quiet ( this is apparently a design feature) you can't hear a blinking thing, even at highest volumes. I've tried all the buds, all the adjustments and I can only maintain any kind of bass sound by actually holding the buds in my ear canals. I wouldn't know if these were sweat proof because I've not been able to work up a sweat in them. Don't buy.