5.0 out of 5 stars great sound and comfort

1.0 out of 5 stars Good sound but v annoying flimsy cable
Published on 18 May 2013 by Mr W

1.0 out of 5 stars Good sound but v annoying flimsy cable, 18 May 2013
This review is from: Philips SHE8000/10 In-Ear Headphones - Black (Electronics)
I liked the sound these headphones produce but the cable is really, really annoying and ended up causing me to throw them away in favour of some Creative EP-630s. The cable is a weird rubbery kind of flimsy plastic which seems to tangle itself worse than any other headphones I've ever owned. Somehow it kept sticking and getting caught to itself, yanking the headphones out of my ears which was very frustrating and unpleasant (especially when walking down the street blissfully absorbed in music). Couldn't put up with it anymore. Terrible design, most other headphones have a normal "non-stick" cable. Don't get why they chose to make ones with a cable like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars great sound and comfort, 10 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Philips SHE8000/10 In-Ear Headphones - Black (Electronics)
After reviewing all earphones from budget to top end I decided to buy these, after using top end over ear phones I wasnt expecting much, oh boy was I wrong, they fit really well in ear, sound is really good, dance, trance, chillout all sound amazing, deep crisp bass just makes these sound if they should be in the £ 50 range, for £8.50 I can only say im considering a 2nd pair, they are the dogs bo####ks,
If you want a great sounding in ear phones buy these ,

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 2 May 2013
This review is from: Philips SHE8000/10 In-Ear Headphones - Black (Electronics)
I bought these about 3 months ago possibly more now. Never had a problem with them and they haven't exactly been treated nicely (heavy tugs from coat catching them, sat on numerous times etc.) so not sure about some of the reviews down the page claiming they broke after minimal abuse!!!

All in all can't fault them, so much so that I got my sister a pair for her birthday!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Love them as much as I hate them, 3 Nov. 2012
Jim Fowler "JBSP" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips SHE8000/10 In-Ear Headphones - Black (Electronics)
Sound quality is good, rich, bassy, doesn't distort too quickly. But the wire, wow... It's a rubbery 'sticky' sort that means it attracts itself to everything; dust, so it looks scruffy; fabric, so it randomly yanks the ear buds from your ears; and most frequently, it is attracted to itself... I've spent ages untangling a grippy mess of wire before managing to get some music playing on the tube only to have the cable grip to a random stranger and try to exit the carriage with them. Also due to the self induced friction there is a lot of 'internal' noise created from the cable touching and grabbing, at low volume levels it's like listening to a drum kit being sawn in half.

Nice design (slightly curved bud); nice colour (undertone of red); nice sound; and comfortable as long as you remain motionless in a field, alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Earphones, 27 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Philips SHE8000/10 In-Ear Headphones - Black (Electronics)
I was thinking of getting a different pair of Earphones but eventually decided on these.

They are well worth the money, the bass is simply amazing and they look great as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Budget Upgrade From Bundled Earphones, 8 Feb. 2013
Steve H (Bath, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Philips SHE8000/10 In-Ear Headphones - Black (Electronics)
I have 4 sets of on-ear headphones and one set of in-ear `phones but twit that I am, I went off on a business trip with my i-pod and no thing to listen to it with. Cue a visit to Argos for something to fill the gap for not much cash. The result...I picked up a set of Philips SHE8000 at half price £12.49 (same as on Amazon). They had a so so write up from What Hi-Fi magazine, but they gave my AKG 450 a glowing report and I don't like the way they sound very much so I held little confidence in their opinion. Anyway for less than £13 I was otherwise looking at some fairly unappealing looking alternatives labelled "Gummy" or "XX Bass". The Philips were clearly aimed at more discerning users, although labelled as "superior bass" which seems to be pretty much the norm. I have a set of Philips SHN7500 at home which are very good so that swayed my decision.

Unfussy packaging consists of just a clear plastic box which was easy to open, and the earphones sit in a plastic moulded insert. There are 3 sets of silicon earbuds S,M and L in size. These look different to the normal offering in being an opaque smoky colour with red highlights so look quite smart. The earphone units are larger in size than Sennheiser CX300 II but are of dark (not black) plastic construction with an aluminium insert covering the centre of the outside of each unit, and a subtle curved shape. Style wise they look nicer than the Sennheisers. The cord is thin and that sticky rubbery type than seems to snag on everything and get tangled, still, these are a budget product. The end that goes into the player is "L" shaped. There are no other accessories...not even a bag.

Out of the box the sound was thin and unappealing, certainly without any bass let alone a "superior" one. But I have come to realise you need to "burn in" headphones for quite a few hours before you get the sound quality you might expect. I left them running at full volume on random play on the i-pod all afternoon and into the evening so that by later that night they had been running for a solid 9 hours. That had transformed things very nicely sorting out the bass which was both crisp and solid, and well separated from the lower mid tone, not woolly and indistinct as the What Hi-Fi review had suggested. Treble was acceptably clear and not at all sharp with lots of detail though not as much as my Philips SHN7500 when I later compared them (there is a big price differential based on rrp). Mid ranges and vocals are not quite as sharp as I prefer. Detail was there it was just not as distinct in this range. The good thing is that to my ear they do not seem to have a bias towards one particular area (like my bass centric AKG450, or the mid range biased Blaupunkt DJ 112). The volume goes very loud on these `phones so they don't need additional driving through an amplifier to get a full sound. Overall I find the sound is quite nicely balanced and comfortable to listen to for long periods without having to faff around with EQ settings which is what I demand as a basic from any headphone or earphone. I had to push the units quite well into my ears to get the best sound and noise isolation but comfort was okay bearing in mind that in-ear phones are not my preference. I reckon some Comply Foam tips might improve comfort even more, but a set of 3 would cost more than the earphones themselves! I have to remind myself that they cost me £12.49 and were an emergency purchase.

I would recommend the Philips SHE8000 as a stylish budget upgrade from the rubbish that comes with your i-pod (why on earth you get less than a quids worth of ropey earphone bundled with over £200 quids worth of i-pod classic is beyond me...why not raise the price by £30 and include some well matched quality earphones - my i-pod did not have the new `phones bundled with the latest generation Nano). These would suit a discerning listener who wants more balance than bass. As to whether they are better than Sennheiser CX300II which seem to be the reference budget choice, I could not say, as I could not find a pair under £35 which was way too much for an emergency purchase...however I have tested them against my wife's Sennheiser CX299 and the Philips are far superior to these and a much older pair of Creative EP-630. Other reviews question build quality so we shall see how well they last. They are cheap enough to keep in my briefcase now so I shall always have a set of earphones on me...I will probably forget the i-pod next time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, great price, 13 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Philips SHE8000/10 In-Ear Headphones - Black (Electronics)
These are well worth the money (EDIT: price fluctuates, I paid about £10). I've had £50-60 Shures and £20-30 Sennheisers, and these stack up pretty well for the price. Stick a trendy name and bright colours on them and you'd easily pay double. They kick out plenty of bass (perhaps at the expense of some top end) - I've actually noticed the basslines on a couple of songs that I hadn't before. I don't know what the 1-star reviewer had in his/her ears, these earphones are in no way tinny. Also, in my experience earphone cables have a lifespan of about 18 months with regular but careful use - so I know how much I'd rather be shelling out.
* UPDATE *
OK, I got about 15 months life out of the cable on these before the sound starting dropping out in one ear. Happily bought another pair, and recommended them to a colleague.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!, 22 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Philips SHE8000/10 In-Ear Headphones - Black (Electronics)
I had been looking for headsets that would replace my JVC HAFX1X in ear. I must say I never thought I would find anything better, but gosh was I wrong!! The JVC's are good but in my opinion are a little over-bassed. But the Philips are great! Good acoustics with a bit of cool surround sound and oh yess!! The bass on these babies is awesome, deep, clear, dynamic bass just the way you like it and.....they are very pretty, stylish and nice to admire. Honestly, these are worth far more than the price they are sold at. Caution though: they feel rather flimsy so take extra care with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Serves me well, 20 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Philips SHE8000/10 In-Ear Headphones - Black (Electronics)
I have managed to ignore many people with these in and I love it. Not completely noise cancelling but prefer them to the ones i got with my ipod and my phone

3.0 out of 5 stars sound great for price but now onto 4th pair in 8 months (build quality?), 21 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Philips SHE8000/10 In-Ear Headphones - Black (Electronics)
I was recommended these as best sounding out of a whole heap of earphones (many costing a lot more). They certainly do sound great and have a nice bass response and all round sound. I listen to everything from chunky bassy genres like hard-house, dub and reggae, to stuff where the mids and treble counts like jazz, prog rock, metal etc, and these really handle everything well. They get heavy usage from a number of daily podcasts i listen to also. The fit is very comfortable too, with the soft silicone buds in three sizes.

As i use my mp3 player daily for long periods both stationary and on the move i really have to place ear-phones in the category of 'consumables' because they have a tendency to wear out, fail or break through misadventure. I'm not sure that i should be onto my fourth set of these in less than a year though(!!!)

The first pair began to cut out in one ear before that side failed altogether. I liked the sound quality enough to buy these again and thought that perhaps they had gotten exposed to moisture while out walking in bad weather.

On another pair the cable got snapped whilst attempting to untangle after a heavy night at the pub. It is to the detriment of these earphones that the cable is so thin. A definite negative. Even so i had to put this down to misadventure as it was clearly my own fault.

The next pair lasted 3-4 months and were used heavily. At first i thought it was my cheapo Kubik Evo player that was coming to the end of it's life, because the volume seemed to be getting louder and louder on lower and lower volume settings. SO, i ordered myself a new mp3 player and just to have a pair of earphones spare, i ordered me a new set of the philips SHE8000's. (This was a couple of days ago)

It's a good job that i did order new phones as it turns out that it was the earbuds that were reaching the end of their life. Again i put this down to moisture as i had been walking in (LIGHT i might add) rain in the days previously.

I think that as good as these sound, i really cannot justify another purchase of this model, so i will be looking for budget-mid range phones that have a sturdier cable and can handle changes in weather conditions. It is a shame as these really do sound great - Philips just need to lighten up on the planned obsolescence and make these a little sturdier.

Philips SHE8000/10 In-Ear Headphones - Black