5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent job
Published on 18 Jun 2011 by Donald Lush

3.0 out of 5 stars Average but usable
Up until I received these, the only other pair I had vast experience of using was the Sony Fontopia range, an in-ear style headphone. Thus, I feel compelled to compare these Philips branded headphones to the Sony ones even though they are clearly a different style.

Published on 23 July 2011 by Mr. R. Chapman

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent job, 18 Jun 2011
Donald Lush "lushd" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Philips SHL9300/10 Black Headband Foldable Lightweight Headphones (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm one of those people who finds it difficult to pass a rack of headphones without wanting to buy a pair. I've been in pursuit of my perfect set for years and never quite got there. These aren't it, but they are very good. The design is lightweight, they feel and look of good quality and they fold neatly into a reasonably small space. They are very comfortable and easy to wear.

The most important bit is that the sound (from my iPhone) is impressive. I think they particularly bring the treble to life without losing the bass or creating a muddied mess of boomy middle tones. And the bass, as advertised, is there aplenty.

Any downsides? They are an open design so sound leaks out of them. If you mind about annoying people around you with your music then they may not be the ones for you. They are also slightly fiddly to get into the right place on your ear for perfect sound and like all open headphones they sound loads better if you push them against your ears gently while listening. But it's a bit embarrassing doing this in public.

If you're looking for a pair of lightweight and good quality headphones for travelling about with, these are highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average but usable, 23 July 2011
Mr. R. Chapman "epiq" (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

First thing to note is that these are not the most comfortable things you'll ever wear. I've owned a much cheaper pair of over ear ones and they also weren't very 'ear friendly' but at least these were a step up. Maybe I have oddly shaped ears? I don't think so, but who can really say! They do the job but I wouldn't recommend these for a long flight or other sizable journey.

Which brings me to the leakage. There is some, and I couldn't really use these on public transport either because of it. Not major, but more than a slight annoyance too.

Sound quality was average, with a distinct lack of bass. The Sony earphones I have do a much better job of directing the sound to my ears so comparatively these are weaker, but after using them for a while I got used to the lower bass, but I would still have preferred some more.

The folding aspect of the ear pieces is pretty funky but what point does it really serve apart from making them slightly more comfortable for people with larger heads? It doesn't make them any easier to store in my opinion.

Overall, these are good, not great, and I would suggest buying them in a sale as the current rrp is a little too much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, 20 July 2011
Margaret Gallagher (London) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
OK - I am definitely NO expert when it comes to treble and bass. But I use headphones regularly - both for spoken word and music - and often for meditation CDs. And my biggest issue is usually comfort. Most in-ear are a nightmare for me and many of this type as well. But these headphones are fabulous - I've had no problem with them at all. No excess pressure on the ears and I can have them on for ages without pain or discomfort. The sounds seems good to me and they block out most (but not all) extraneous noise. I love them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good headphones but expensive, 29 Jun 2011
J. Holmes - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These headphones are light and very comfortable to wear. They are well made and durable - they have survived use by my two kids and a trip to Cyprus and back. The sound quality was very good when we used them with our ipods and as they are light and compact were great to take on holiday. However although
they are really nice headphones they seem very expensively priced.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonably good but a little pricey., 28 Jun 2011
Karen Baxter (Wales UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These Philips SHL9300/10 headphones look good and are extremely comfortable to wear. Also they are foldable which makes them simple to carry and use (it's a pity they don't come with a carry case).

Myself, my husband and my son have tried the headphones with various equipment playing different types of audio with mixed results.

First I used them with my CD player to listen to audio books and plays. I was very pleased with the sound quality, the voices were rich and it was easy to differentiate between characters, I also enjoyed listening to the special effects during the plays.

My husband used them to listen to 70's rock music (Pink Floyd and Led Zep etc) on the computer, he felt that the bass lacked depth and volume to be able to appreciate this type of music but he enjoyed listening to other types of music especially vocals.

Lastly my son used the headphones with his MP3 player to listen to his collection of Eminem and he reported that although Eminen sounded great, he believed the maximum volume could have been increased.

So there you have it ... a fairly good set of headphones but we expected slightly better quality where the bass was concerned particularly considering the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars execellent, 17 April 2013
Paul Balm (OLDHAM, ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
As always you expect the best from PHILIPS and you get it everytime. these headphones are fantastic the sound the bass top notch. I was playing ZZTOP on my galaxy 11 with these headphones outside and the sound was just amazing. The bass has a great depth and smoothness, I've heard sound systems worse. Get them you wont be sorry

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull, 27 May 2012
Bought these to replace Sennheiser PX100s, excellent folding headphones but fatally flawed by weak cables (ref amazon customer reviews). These Philips phones appear well-made and the cables are less vulnerable. However, the sound is so dull, so lacking in treble, clarity, dynamic and harmonic range that they are not really fit for purpose and will be returned. I'm surprised that Philips can release such a poorly performing product, and that Sennheiser continues to market headphones with a proven weakness.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average Sound, 4 May 2012
Biff - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I cant say that the sound from these made an immediate impression on me. Its perfectly acceptable but just didn't stand out as anything special.

They do feel and look a bit plasticky.

But they are very good value so can't be faulted on price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just above average, 19 July 2011
Mr. G. Battle (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The SHL9300/10 headphones from Philips offer decent fidelity, ideal for listening to movies/speech as well as a broad spectrum of music from classical to drum and bass. The frequency response is very good from 10-28,000hz. A gold plated connector offers least loss upon connection too.

As mid-sized cushions they are not noise cancelling or isolating. They require minimal adjustment thanks to the Philips technology around the cushions. They adapt to the ears although can be rather tight as a result.

There are a few features which don't stand up as well as the audio quality though. The cutting edge comfort features are simply ok, not enough to stand out in this price range. They do fold up nicely, great for travelling, however the design to make them float never really worked for me. I was very conscious of wearing them and found the cable occasionally restrictive when using it with the PC, although it would be plenty for an MP3 player. There is no volume control on the cable.

Overall, the quality of audio is very good and they are reasonably comfortable. The 'ultra lightweight design' creates no resistance with the headband yet the ear cushions are still somewhat tight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and compact - perfect!, 18 July 2011
Mr. R. Brown "rsbrowndog" (England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was looking for some headphones that I could slip into my laptop bag that wouldn't take up too much space. With space being an issue I was primarily looking at in-the-ear type headphones, despite the nagging feeling that I would find them constantly falling out.

Then I came across these and noticed that they are "foldable" (their word, not mine) for storage. Ideal, I thought!

I'm very pleased with these headphones, they are comfortable and provide good sound. They fold up nicely, perfect for popping in my laptop bag.