5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended
I chose this saw largely because of the good reviews here, and am not disappointed. It is easy to assemble and easy to use. You will need extra chain oil as it comes with very little.

Published on 15 Feb. 2013 by ceperman

Published 17 months ago by old technophile

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 15 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Black & Decker GK2240T 2200W 40cm 16-inch Chainsaw with Tool Free Blade Tensioning (DIY & Tools)

My first task was sawing up a ton or so of sycamore and scots pine tree trunks, with diameters up to capacity of the saw (i.e. about 16 inches). It coped with this easily, and in a couple of hours sawing I used about 1/2 litre of oil (I bought a litre of this Chainsaw Saw Chain Oil, 1 Litre in Resealable Container which as far as I can tell was perfectly fine). A previous reviewer commented about over-oiling and marks on the cut timber - I didn't noticed any of this at all. I can fully recommend this saw.

I agree with another reviewer - if you're inexperienced with a chain saw (like me) then take some advice before using, even if it's just looking on the internet. And at minimum, use eye protection and heavy gloves. It's worth bearing in mind this comment I found on the internet: "a chain saw is the most dangerous tool one can own without having to be licensed".

2.0 out of 5 stars Black & Decker GK2240T 2200W 40cm 16-inch Chainsaw with Tool Free Blade..., 17 Nov. 2013
this worked brilliantly cutting up some small branches into logs, then needed to tension the chain ,tried to tension it as per the instructions,when i turned the tensioner there was a crack from inside the tensioner housing and the chain fell slack, realising that something had broken inside the housing, i stopped using it and returned it for a full refund, when it was working it was excellent but as far as i know the tensioner mechanism is plastic, and to me this would be its achilles heel. hence the 2 star rating. amazon as usual were brilliant at sorting out the refund.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent chainsaw but be careful what replacement chain you buy!, 11 Mar. 2013
This is a good electric chainsaw (which is saying something as I've used a petrol Stihl one for years before now) but be careful when you want a replacement chain.
* DO NOT BUY THE A6156 16" CHAIN IT HAS 56 LINKS NOT 57 AND IS THEREFORE TOO SHORT *
You need the A6296 chain which is also sold as a 16" but this has 57 links instead and is that little bit longer. A 56 link chain won't fit but this 57 link chain will. If you buy the chain from Amazon, you need this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Decker-Replacement-Chainsaw-Chain/dp/B005BB9H84

5.0 out of 5 stars Great chainsaw, 29 Jan. 2012
Chainsaw delivers as promised. Powerfull, cuts straight thru 6 to 8 inch logs which is all I need it for. Easy to set up, simple to tension blade. Blade stops instantly when trigger is released.

5.0 out of 5 stars B & D chainsaw, 7 May 2012
Right it's been a few weeks since I bought the chainsaw so now I can give an honest view. If you want to be a Canadian lumberjack then this is not for you as a long cable is required (or a generator). Please don't try to compare an electric chainsaw with a petrol one, decide what job you are to do and pick the one that suits best.
For me this is the dog's b******s for the work I have done mainly 6-8" logs but I have sawn larger trunks of about 16" (some slightly bigger) .Work was all done at home or in a workshop. I would recommend the chainsaw. Remember keep it clean and it will be mean . Let the saw do the cutting and it should last.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great buy., 12 Aug. 2012
I bought this to cut up some firewood logs; being in Tasmania, Australia the timber here is pretty well all eucalypt, which is a haaaard hardwood; the delivery comprised 12.5 tonnes of logs varying between 14" and 24" (350 - 600mm) diameter. This chainsaw basically ate them for breakfast without missing a beat and I only had to sharpen the chain twice in the 2 days (approx 10hrs) it took me to cut them all up into 15" lengths. After finishing the job, 10 mins with a rag and brush and she was looking as good as new.

Bar oil usage was quite sparing, I went through a little over 1 litre altogether; I like the visible oil reservoir and the chain tensioner is very easy to use, doesn't need a tool unlike my last saw.. The unit itself is fairly lightweight. I chose the B & D unit over "more reputable" brands like Makita because it was rated as the most powerful unit available at 2200W, compared with 1800~2000W for other brands and it didn't let me down. I chose an electric over a 2-stroke because I live in the suburbs and didn't think the locals would take kindly to 2 days of noise.

I thought I'd been put off chainsaw ownership for good by my prior experiences with a Poulan 2-stroke, which was very finnicky; the B&D is a much simpler unit, with little to go wrong.

Pros - relatively quiet, no hot parts to burn yourself on, no fumes, no mixing of oil and fuel, economic on energy as the motor only goes when you are cutting, no idling petrol motor in your head when you're looking for the next spot to start cutting in the enormous heap of logs. Does what it says on the tin.

Cons - bloody cable (but I knew that before I bought it) and also not good to use in the rain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black and Decker Chainsaw, 16 Jan. 2012
Dr. Thomas F. Crosby (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I purchased this GK2240T chainsaw as a replacement for another B&D 40cm saw. It arrived within a few days of ordering (very fast) and I used it immediately. It is much better than the older version. The chaion speed is much faster, motor is stronger and being avble to tension the chain without the need for any tools is great. Also the oil tank is better located and easier to fill. Overall, it is easier to operate. I am etremely happy with my purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite good but..., 7 Oct. 2014
I've not had or used any kind of chainsaw before so my comments need to be considered on that basis, having no other model with which to compare it.

Good points first. Assembly was pretty straightforward, needed a little thought but no problems. I've cut only a few trees and logs so far but it cuts well. It's well balanced, not too heavy and easy to use. I had no jams or kickbacks. The tensioner works fine. You have to keep checking the tension, especially with a new chain, but there is no difficulty doing so. It's early days so I can't comment yet on longevity or reliability of the saw.

Less good points:

1 It leaks oil through the vent hole in the reservoir cap if you hold the saw blade at much of an angle off the vertical. And of course you frequently do have to hold it an angle, horizontally or close to it for example if you are cutting a tree trunk. I think this is a poor design feature as the oil then runs over the handle, messing up your gloves etc.

The fuller the reservoir the smaller the angle off vertical that causes a leak but there has to be sufficient oil in it, minimum 1/4 full according to the instructions. I'm not a design engineer and don't know how they could have solved it, some sort of valve in the cap perhaps instead of just a crude hole, but surely this could have been done somehow.

2 After a few stops and starts, the main trigger switch that turns it on became quite hard to squeeze in order to work. Not the safety button on the side which needs to be depressed first, but the trigger switch itself. In fact I thought the machine had gone wrong because it just would not start after only a few uses. So I depressed it quite hard and then it did.

This was not the case upon first few uses but occurred maybe after an hour or so of intermittent light use. Note that this was not because my hand was getting tired and I was imagining things. To check this, I got someone else to use it and they had the same difficulty.

I'm keeping it for the time being to see how this point develops but it does concern me a little.

Other points:

Sawdust accumulates under the chain cover in use. I don't think this is a problem but before putting it away I removed the cover and brushed most of it out as I like to keep my tools clean anyway.

The new chain has to be soaked in oil for an hour before first use but as others have said, you must buy separately a bottle of chainsaw oil to do that and fill the reservoir because none is supplied. That's a little annoying because it renders the saw incapable of being used straight out of the box. Bit stingy I thought, they could have provided a small bottle, enough say just to soak the chain and fill the reservoir once. But this point is not a criticism of the machine itself and ceases to matter when you have bought oil.

The cable is not going to be long enough for most jobs so you will probably require an extension reel. If so, make sure it is rated at minimum 10 amps, preferably 13amps, because many have lower ratings which are not acceptable for this chainsaw. Also, be aware that these ratings apply only when the reel is fully extended so you will probably have to open it out fully, even if you don't need all that length. It can be a good safety idea too to fit an RCD breaker device between the chainsaw plug and the socket on your cable reel.

My view is that it seems to be a fine machine so far, spoiled a little by the niggles I've mentioned though I don't know if other electric chainsaws suffer from similar effects.

Update 17 October
I've now made further use of the saw and it seems that the operating switch just requires a fair bit of pressure as part of the design and is not an actual fault with my mine.

The oil leak from the vent hole in the reservoir cap when using the saw much off the vertical remains and cannot be solved as far as I can see, a design flaw in my view. I don't know if other electric (or petrol) chainsaws suffer from this. It's not a flood but a small dribble which if you don't wipe it off will mess up your gloves etc. If you use the saw only in the vertical plane or near it then you won't experience this. But do a lot of horizontal cutting or near it and you will.

However the small oil leak apart, this saw does work well and I'm upgrading it to four stars. I would have given it five but for that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Boys toy., 29 Dec. 2012
After years of fighting on maintaining the bushes and trees in my garden I now have a tool that makes the work much easier. It has been easy to use and low maintenance. The only thing that stops me giving it 5 stars is that the oil lubricating system does constantly work leaving some oil marks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great chain saw, 12 Jan. 2013
This is a great chain saw, I wasnt sure wether to buy electric or petrol, but unless you intend working outside in the woods, I would recommend this product, no messing about with petrol cans,the electric saw is reasonably quite and yet very powerful, it cut through a 12" tree like cutting through butter.
Easy to put together, well built, I Like the no tool chain tensioner.
Would reccommend this product and reccommend buying from Amazon, great service, very prompt delivery.