5.0 out of 5 stars The 1ltr Kingavon Travel Kettle
Published on 20 Aug 2012 by Hugh

3.0 out of 5 stars Letting off a little steam!
My "Office" is a converted touring caravan and, as such, has sensitive trip fuses that cut off supply if the mains circuit is overloaded. Using a 2-3kWatt kettle with computer stuff running and an electric heater would often trip these fuses and cause havoc. Obviously, a kettle of this wattage was the answer.

Also, my elderly mother has trouble lifting and...
Published on 24 Nov 2011 by ADIPaul

3.0 out of 5 stars Letting off a little steam!, 24 Nov 2011
This review is from: 1LT WHITE CORDLESS ELECTRIC KETTLE TRAVEL MINI JUG

Also, my elderly mother has trouble lifting and filling her standard-sized kettle, so a 1 litre kettle could be ideal for her. I bought one of these about a month ago to try it out.

Having bought and used it, I decided it was not really suitable for an elderly person... read on!

I've had a couple of other "travel" kettles, but the lid broke on one and both had fixed leads which can be very awkward (even potentially dangerous?) when using on a crowded worktop.

From the description and specifications, this was the only kettle I could find that seemed as if it would be suitable.

Other reviewers have said the lid is very stiff. They're absolutely right. It's much too stiff for my elderly mother to open. Even I have difficulty with it and it hasn't eased with a month's useage. When I do open it, it usually unclips suddenly and showers condensate from under the lid all over the place. I'm also worried about it breaking the hinges when it opens so unexpectedly.

The kettle has to be placed on the base precisely and correctly orientated. It has a square-shaped connector and doesn't sit easily - in fact if there's no water in it, it doesn't sit right down at all, spring pressure from the base connector lifts it up slightly. Again, not suitable for the elderly!

It has an old-fashioned coil-type element. These collect more scaling in hard water areas and not as easy to clean out as the modern flat-plate type elements.

Now I can live with these problems, and most younger caravanners probably could too, but the first company that produces a well-designed, low-wattage, lightweight, compact kettle with a 360-degree fixed base and modern plate element will wipe the board with sales.

I'm sure there's a very large market of elderly people looking for such a kettle. Manufacturers are missing a trick here... and I KNOW caravanners would buy it.

On the plus side for this kettle, the auto cut-off works well and it's good that white or black is available. There's a filter on the pourer which is another good point. Even though the base is a bit tricky to use, it's still far better than a fixed lead kettle. Not as fast as your average kitchen kettle, but it doesn't take long to boil enough for two cuppas.

On top of it all, the price is good. However, I'd pay double for a well-designed version... a sort of mini-version of a modern kitchen kettle. All the "travel" kettles I've found - and used - seem to be cheap and rubbishy.

Okay, rant over. I'll go and calm down with a nice cuppa now...

5.0 out of 5 stars The 1ltr Kingavon Travel Kettle, 20 Aug 2012
This review is from: 1LT WHITE CORDLESS ELECTRIC KETTLE TRAVEL MINI JUG
This kettle is without a doubt the best of all. I bought another brand from Argos and it lasted two weeks. I have had a Kingavon in my caravan for two years and I camp about four months a year. It has never let me down. So now as I live alone I have bought another for my kitchen and the 1 ltr is plenty for me. A point of interest to those who complained about the lid being stiff, they have changed the lid to springless.

3.0 out of 5 stars kettle, 30 Sep 2011
This review is from: 1LT WHITE CORDLESS ELECTRIC KETTLE TRAVEL MINI JUG
I bought the kettle to use as my main kettle as I find lifting bigger ones difficult. The only difference I find is that it takes longer to boil - it is a travel kettle after all and has a smaller element. This is fine for me

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what my kitchen wanted, 14 Mar 2014
This review is from: 1LT WHITE CORDLESS ELECTRIC KETTLE TRAVEL MINI JUG
I wanted a kettle that would boil just 0.03 of a litre, just enough for one cup of coffee, but was also capable of holding up to 1 litre. I also wanted a cordless product with a window on two sides to indicate water level and a good locking lid. This product met every requirement and it also looks very stylish. Finally, the price was very good

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 12 Nov 2013
Mr. David W. Bisson (Jersey, Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1LT WHITE CORDLESS ELECTRIC KETTLE TRAVEL MINI JUG
Boils water - what more could yo ask from a kettle? Never argues or answers back and appears to enjoy life with me.

3.0 out of 5 stars slow boiler, 18 July 2011
This review is from: 1LT WHITE CORDLESS ELECTRIC KETTLE TRAVEL MINI JUG
I'm writing this review whilst on my holiday in the US. This kettle was bought for this trip as the hotels we are staying in don't provide one. The kettle is well made,good quality and value for money considering it is cordless and holds up to a litre of water which is plenty for 2 adults however my only gripe is that it takes ever so long for the water to boil, between 20-25 mins depending how much water is used. If you're not in a hurry it's no problem but if you're gasping for a cuppa then you'll need patience or give up and buy from the hotel's cafeteria.
I have only used the kettle in the US. As it was purchased in the UK it came with the UK plug and I'm using a UK to US plug adaptor so i'm not sure if the difference in the power output is causing the long boil time or if it is normal for this kettle, being the first reviewer of this kettle here i have no other feedback to comapare with.
I will update this review when i'm back in the UK after trying it out without using the plug adaptor incase people considering buying this kettle for their trip abroad would like to know if the conversion of the power supply causes the long boil time.
I'm rating this 3 stars as the purpose of buying this kettle was to use it abroad and if I had known it takes this long to wait for it to boil then i would have purchased another model.
Hope this helps.
**** update **
I'm back in the UK and have tried this kettle out plugging directly into the mains socket and the boil time for this 900w kettle is 6 mins, which i believe is similiar to other brands in the travel kettle market.
I'm keeping with the 3 stars as i bought this kettle for my travels and was disappointed with the long boil time

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb product for the price, 18 April 2012
This review is from: 1LT WHITE CORDLESS ELECTRIC KETTLE TRAVEL MINI JUG
Have been looking for a decent cordless kettle for ages,the corded ones are so dangerous when filled with boiling water..they should be banned!.This is just the job though,we always take a kettle on holiday with us,so we were very pleased to have found this one at a brilliant price,very easy to operate,nice visible water capacity line and safety cut off and boil dry feature.Look no further if you need one of these!Note:if you go to a country with a lower mains current than UK your kettle will take longer to boil..it's not the kettle's fault,and you can buy a dual current kettle but much more expensive.

1.0 out of 5 stars WORST KETTLE EVER, 16 July 2013
Jm Leven (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1LT WHITE CORDLESS ELECTRIC KETTLE TRAVEL MINI JUG
Really, the worst kettle I've ever owned. What can you ask of a kettle? You switch it on and it boils water? To be fair, sometimes it does that. Other times you have to hold down the on switch or it'll switch itself off, quite randomly - hyperactive boil-dry protection I suppose. Total fail on that alone.

However, there's more: I'd like to affirm the problems another reviewer mentioned re the base and lid - very awkward to get it to sit right, and I always need two hands to open it.

But that's not the worst! Another reviewer mentioned a plastic taste and smell. Well, I guess that like mine, the element is overheating and melting its surrounding plastic, like happens if you let a normal kettle boil dry FOR AGES - but this one does it while it's full of water. Eventually it did it all the time, so I threw it out.

UNBELIEVABLY AWFUL !!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 20 Mar 2013
This review is from: 1LT WHITE CORDLESS ELECTRIC KETTLE TRAVEL MINI JUG
Bought for our touring caravan.

Kettle is ideal for 2 mugs of coffee and boils quickly.

Would recommend this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars 1ltr cordless electric kettle, 23 Sep 2012
This review is from: 1LT WHITE CORDLESS ELECTRIC KETTLE TRAVEL MINI JUG
I bought this kettle on 12 april 2012 by the 22 sept, thats only five months later it was burnt out and had to be thrown away ,to say thats disappointing is an inderstatement.
m keates