5.0 out of 5 stars Review of the sample

1.0 out of 5 stars Sadly disappointing
Published 21 months ago by AnneC

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of the sample, 12 April 2011
This review is from: Eumeralla - Secrets, Tragedy and Love (Kindle Edition)
Very well-written indeed for an indie(?) author. The sample is rather extensive and gives a good taste of what to expect for the rest of the book. I'd say it was an ideal holiday book for reading in the sunshine, being set as it is in Australia. In some ways - and I suppose this is a minor criticism - it reminds me of Anna Karenina, as if this was the Australian book that Tolstoy never wrote, and similarly, the first few chapters of Eumeralla aren't exactly a barrel of laughs. That said, I can well imagine this being a very successful and critically-acclaimed book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eumeralla is an excellent reading experience, 8 April 2011
This review is from: Eumeralla - Secrets, Tragedy and Love (Kindle Edition)
Eumeralla is a really well written piece of literature. It is, by far, one of the best books found.

The author has a writing style very similar to John Irving. So, if you like books along the lines of 'World according to Garp', 'Cider House Rules', and 'A Widow for one year' then this is the author you want to follow.

The writing is clean, clear and paints a mental image of the entire storyline throughout. The characterization is very well done and the book left me homesick for a place I had never been.

Put this book in your top 5 reading material. You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars An engaging read about Australia, 9 July 2011
This review is from: Eumeralla - Secrets, Tragedy and Love (Kindle Edition)
I just finished reading Eumeralla and feel as if I've just been to Australia. The sense of place the author evokes is remarkably done, down to the smallest details. Life on the ranch (or is it station?) is lovingly portrayed, in all its difficulties, challenges, and beauties. Everything--the dialogue, the descriptions, the plot--has the ring of truth about it. The characters are beautifully drawn, and absolutely believable, with all their complexities, mistakes, regrets, and charm. The author depicts the strength of family and how those closest to us have the power to hurt us the most. Within the characters she explores the nature of insecurities, the miseries of jealousy, and the convoluted feelings of love. At first I was daunted by the number of characters, but this soon sorts itself out as the story unfolds. There are a lot of unexpected twists and turns, and the sense of mystery keeps you turning (clicking) the page. The ending is powerful and unexpected--both bittersweet and hopeful. A great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 15 April 2012
This review is from: Eumeralla - Secrets, Tragedy and Love (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book and didn't want to put it down. The only problem I had was trying to remember who all the people were connected to. It was a bit complicated and I wished I had written them all down at the start. That aside it was a really good book and I would definately recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable lies or painful truth? The impossibility of keeping secrets, 6 July 2012
This review is from: Eumeralla - Secrets, Tragedy and Love (Kindle Edition)
In my experience there is nothing more dramatic than family life and the plot of Eumeralla reflects this with spot on psychological accuracy. I cannot say more without being a plot spoiler, but expect to be surprised. Like other reviewers I took a bit of time to sort out the characters, but once I'd got this clear everything fell into place. I would say that one of the main themes is the failure of adults to realise that children grow up into real people, with inconveniently passionate emotions and the ability to ask awkward questions. Plus the unpredictability of falling in love.

I also thoroughly enjoyed reading about life in the Australian outback thirty years ago. This included descriptions of the beauty of the land plus background conservation issues, problems with water and sanitation (the flushing toilet sub plot is surprisingly effective) and useful information about spiders and snakes. The snake avoidance tips could be very helpful. Although I hope I won't need them in London. As yet.

The author shows how the physical isolation of the characters intensifies their emotions. Thirty years ago there was no chance of escape via computers, world wide networking or texting. And everyone has to work together to keep the farm going and the animals and themselves fed. Love is felt more deeply, but so is estrangement and hatred.

At the end of the book I was left with a single question. What happened next??

4.0 out of 5 stars A book to keep you guessing, 20 Oct 2012
This review is from: Eumeralla - Secrets, Tragedy and Love (Kindle Edition)
I think I should have had a pen & paper with me when I read this to keep track of who was who, who was related to who & what the relationships were. Kept me on edge right to the end - which I hadn't predicted at all

1.0 out of 5 stars Sadly disappointing, 29 Jun 2012
This review is from: Eumeralla - Secrets, Tragedy and Love (Kindle Edition)
Bought the Kindle edition of this book as a result of reading good reviews here however I was really disappointed. I struggled to finish the book but ploughed on in spite of irritating characters & plot line that managed to be both predictable & unbelievable at the same time. I didn't find the book well written or the characters well described. One of the reasons for buying this book was the comparison to John Irving, who's writing I love; I'm now happily reading his latest & enjoying my Kindle again.

ARRAY(0xa55a8054)