on 5 May 2013
I wish there was an alternative categorisation to Historical Romance, where stories such as this could be placed, so as not to confuse the reader: it is a story set in a historical period but written with dialogue and behaviour more often seen in modern day. I find it incredibly grating and irritating (the male lead talking about "gotten"???). I understand that the author wanted to highlight how refreshing the Americans were (another tale of anything American = good / English = staid and boorish) but the characters just came over ill-mannered and louche.

The dialogue was very clunky and I found it difficult to read, as well as the story being rambling. It really made me appreciate how I normally take good writing for granted. Also I found the characters neither likable nor believable, especially with their reactions to certain happenings. The excerpt of the next in the series, Liberty's story reinforces what an unpleasant girl she is, so the theme continues.

Unfortunately I find it difficult to ignore an unfinished book so soldiered on to the end. If anything I have written resonates, I advise you to save your time. The fact that the book is free only makes the situation marginally better.
on 9 December 2012
Good premise, three American sisters landing in England at the turn of the Century, which sets the scene nicely for a trilogy but written as if caught between modern English manners / emancipated American/18th century values. Very confusing and the heroine wasn't in the least bit likeable although this was probably because of frustration at tight English rules of what was correct etiquette v relative freedom in American etiquette at the time. Storyline dragged too much for me
on 27 December 2012
I can't complain as I picked it up as a free read.

Dialogue a little cumbersome in places, overall a pleasant enough story.

I can't help but think with a little more editing and a sprinkle of dexterous writing I could have been a much better book ... still we can all criticise, it's not so easy writing for an audience as I am rapidly finding out!
on 16 January 2014
Agree with a couple of other reviewers, I am glad it was free. Not the best of this genre that I have read the dialogue is a little clunky at times. That said once I got further in to the story I did want to read to the end, despite it being relatively clear what the outcome would be.
on 15 July 2013
I quite enjoyed this book however the author should be more careful with her terminology. In Regency times they would not have said a person 'fancied' someone. I found a few other minor errors.
I suggest the author read Georgette Heyer who depicts the period perfectly.
on 29 June 2013
This book started off well but before long I just wanted it to be over. It quickly reverted into modern language and situations that became tedious. A good proofreading could have greatly improved this book.
Still, for a free book it was reasonable, I suppose.
I downloaded this at the beginning of April when there were only two other reviews, both positive and a synopsis which suggested this would be a good read for me, historical romance being a genre I love.

It just didn't work for me. On a positive, I really liked the plot so have to admit to plodding on far longer than I would normally do because of this. However, I found the writing repetitive, there were many times when the same two words were repeated in a sentence and trivial things could take up several pages. Thus, I only managed nine or ten chapters and then skimmed through from there to the final couple. The reason for this was there was a fundamental part to the plot I wanted to discover the outcome of. Much to my disappointment it wasn't revealed, leaving me to wonder whether this is covered in one of the following books in this series?

It won't however, tempt me into reading anything further by this particular author - but there are some good reviews so I'd suggest a sample first to see whether it's to your taste.
on 25 August 2013
Twisting boring unnecessarily long , wished hadn't started reading it even though it was free. But as cannot leave a book unfinished tried my best to enjoy but couldn't
on 28 January 2013
This was the first Rose Gordon book I read, I loved the characters, the story and the humour, I've gone on to read all her books and I love that the original characters are still mentioned and we get glimpses into their lives
on 1 September 2012
I was curious to see why this book got such a mixed reaction and seeing as it was free, I thought I'd give it a try.

I can't really say much that the others haven't said already. It's rare I give a book a lower than 3 rating, even if I didn't like it that much as I can usually pick out things that are a credit to a story even if I didn't enjoy it. I can usually look through the odd error in grammar or an unusual writing style, but I struggled with this. Maybe if the story was better I might have done. A little too slow for me and for those who like perfect grammar and realistic dialogue, I would say don't bother.