5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite so far!
Okay, prepare yourselves for a completely gushing review as I LOVED this book! I have read and enjoyed a fair few of Jill Mansell's other books but this one is without doubt my favourite.
Published on 1 Mar. 2011 by Dot

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much, too often
Much as I love this author and her work, THE MOON AND BACK IS OTT or Over the Top. It was like sitting on a see/saw, a repetitious up and down. A pity because most of Ms Mansell's work is so very pleasant and easy to read.
Published on 13 Dec. 2011 by Ralph Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite so far!, 1 Mar. 2011
This review is from: To The Moon And Back (Hardcover)
Ellie is a great character, she is trying to hold everything together after Jamie's tragic death but she clearly needs a bit of help. Cue Tony Weston, Jamie's dad, who loves Ellie very much and wants her to be happy again more than anything. When he discovers that the flat that she and Jamie shared is in a right mess, he buys a flat in Primrose Hill for Ellie to live in with the excuse that he can use it when he's visiting from LA, where he's a famous actor.
The new flat is the catalyst that Ellie needs, she makes friends with her neighbour Roo who encourages Ellie to make the changes to her life that she so desperately needs to do. The most important one for Ellie is to leave her job where she is tired of receiving pitying glances and the feeling that people are treading on egg shells around her. Roo discovers that Zack McLaren is in need of a new PA and helps Ellie to get an interview. Zack is gorgeous and extremely successful and his old PA makes it clear to Ellie that he normally employs older women as he doesn't want any distractions in the work place. Ellie is very careful not to over step the mark, she even tells Zack that she has a boyfriend when she doesn't just so he doesn't think she's after him. However, as Zack and Ellie spend more time together it is clear that there is a huge connection between them but Zack believes she has a boyfriend and Ellie doesn't want to make things awkward at work plus what would Jamie think about her falling in love with another man?
To the Moon and Back is a brilliant read, the chapters are short and snappy, each one leaving you wanting more. I read this book in one day and I was left with a huge crush on Zack Mclaren. As usual, Jill Mansell provides a really good story with some lovely and believable characters. The plot keeps a steady pace and I was willing Ellie to find the happiness that I felt she deserved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 17 May 2011
S. Shamma "Suad" (Abu Dhabi, UAE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: To The Moon And Back (Paperback)
I've been in a dump for a long while when it came to books. Every time I bought a book it would disappoint in one way or another, and I wouldn't enjoy it in the least and have to force myself to finish it.

This book however, my first for the author, turned all of that around. I could not put it down, literally!! And I missed that, I missed enjoying a story so much that I honestly cannot put the book down because I always wanted to know what would happen next! And Ms. Mansell gave me that, she kept me on my toes the whole time, and staying up late reading this was SO worth it.

The characters are very well rounded, they're endearing, realistic, and their sense of humor is simply put, hilarious. The romance that built up from the beginning between Zack and Ellie electrified me, it was so intense. The way it burst into flames at the end was perfect, and I was cheering right along with all the other characters in the book.

There's so much to commend this story, and I could go on forever saying how much I enjoyed reading it, but I'd rather leave the reader to make his/her own decisions. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good, light, fun, and definitely romantic read.

5.0 out of 5 stars To the Moon and Back, 20 Mar. 2011
This review is from: To The Moon And Back (Hardcover)
Although I have read all of Jill Mansells books I kept walking past this one - why -because I thought the front cover looked really cheesy - sad I know but if something looks attractive you are normally drawn to it. Anyway I finally got over myself and ready the synopsis and the book.

Feeling really down and sad as though my world was ending I picked up the book and started reading and got lost in it and looked forward to picking it up each day and reading some more to lose myself in another world - dramatic I know but a hell of a pick me up.

Absolutely adored it, book full of love, loss, heartache, infidelity and friendship with a lot of fun moments to boot.

Fell in love with all the characters, well except Niall of course! So well written very stylish with charm and houmour. The interaction with the characters is excellent - funny, frustrating, sad and extremely witty. They all gradually and seamlessy come together through various meetings and introductions. Will admit to lots of tingly warm moments and actually felt the sad hollowness when the story demanded it.

This is the first 5 I have given and I read at least 2/3 books a week - I can't recommend it enough whatever mood you are in!

Am pleased that at least one of my favourite authors hasn't changed her style of writing and is giving her fans' what they want!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Jill Mansell ever, 2 July 2011
This review is from: To The Moon And Back (Hardcover)
Just finished this book in a couple of days and I would thoroughly recommend it. I found it to be warm and funny and gripping. I enjoyed all of the characters which is unusual because there always seems to be one character in books I cannot abide.

I would enjoy a follow up book to find out how things have gone for everyone.

A fantastic read, it would be great on the beach, by the pool, in the garden or on the sofa... but you won't be able to put it down and you will miss these characters once it is finished.

Well done Jill, thoroughly enjoyed it!

5.0 out of 5 stars i'm going to have to buy another book..., 26 Mar. 2011
This review is from: To The Moon And Back (Hardcover)
i've read Jill Mansell's 'Rumour Has It' and absolutely loved it, so when this came out i ran to the shops to buy.. it was supposed to be my holiday read as i'm off on holiday next week. however i finished reading 'To the moon and back' last night..

i, pain-stakingly, made it last 3 days... but i couldn't put it down! and had resoluted to limit myself to 3 chapters a day.. that evidently didn't work out!

i love how Jill Mansel weaves the lives of friends and family together so it feels like ur imagining a series of friends or neighbours or something... Ellie is a loveable character, and Zack ever the alpha male!

all i need to do is go buy another book for next week.. might have to buy two...

if you want a book that fully immerses you, then definitely pick up a book by Jill Mansell! and 'To the moon and Back' is great for love lost, found and how to move on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like curling up with a cuppa and a custard cream, 13 Aug. 2012
This review is from: To The Moon And Back (Kindle Edition)
Helen for [...]

Reading this book was like curling up with a cuppa and a custard cream; easy and comfortable. It is full of warmth, it has the feel good factor and has a dash of humour and a bit of depth.

Ellie is a young woman in a fantastic marriage with a bright future when her husband, Jamie, is killed in a car accident and she has to start life all over again. Jill Mansel writes about this with so much realism. Ellie clings to the memory of Jamie, she stays in a horrible flat because it was their home, she talks to him and imagines him talking back,(or maybe he really does...), she blames his best friend for the accident that killed him and she feels guilty herself and she hates getting the sympathy card all the time. The story is not a complex dissection of grief, but it is accurate in showing how it affects people. It also helps to make Ellie an extremely likable, believable character for her faults and strengths.

When Ellie finally moves to a lovely flat in Primrose Hill, thanks to her film star father-in-law Tony, she meets a new friend in Roo and gets a new job as a PA for the delicious looking Zack. The very reason Ellie gets the job is because she is not available for romance. Of course at this point I instantly saw fireworks happening between them, but the story is clever and nothing is straight forward here.

The cast of minor characters are a great mix and I enjoyed the way they were pivotal to the plot in respects that only became obvious later on. The manner in which the characters crossed paths with each other and inter-linked was great too. I particularly liked the way that Roo's relationship with Yasmin (Roo's lover's wife) became a bigger and bigger part of the story.

Verdict: As I mentioned before the journeys in this book are not predicable. There are ups and downs, dating disasters, disappointments, pleasures in the simple things of life and huge successes. It all revolves around normal life, sharing coffee, dinner, a glass of wine and living life together with people you care about. The dog share was genius! Ellie getting back on her feet surprises even her and that makes this a fresh and intelligent bit of chick lit.

5.0 out of 5 stars A read to go back to!, 11 Nov. 2011
Chloe S "Chick Lit Chloe" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: To The Moon And Back (Paperback)
The book begins introducing us to both Jamie and Ellie before his tragic accident, allowing us a glimpse into their relationship, and to get an idea of just how close and in love they are before tragedy strikes. Instead of focussing on Ellie's sorrow and grief immediately after her husband's death, Mansell instead choose to merely mention Jamie's death, and then move forward a few years in Ellie's life. I actually loved that she did this, and enjoyed that I didn't have to wallow in sadness for too long. When we meet Ellie again, she is obviously still grieving for her husband but seemingly getting on with her life once more. Ellie is a character I fell in love with straight away, and you can't but empathise with her - losing Jamie leaves her somewhat lost, and her new home in Primrose Hill, along with her new job as a PA is a new beginning, and a well deserved one.

Our other main character is Zack McLaren, who also happens to be Ellie's new boss. The only problem is that he is harbouring a huge crush for his new employee but she seems to the be the only woman in London who hasn't got a crush on him. He's gutted, but doesn't want to make a move and make a fool of himself. I didn't expect to like Zack, thinking he'd be too cocky and self assured, but I really did - he's a very sweet male character, and immediately you can see the attraction between he and Ellie, despite them both denying it. Roo is my other favourite character in the book, she adds some fantastic humour and craziness into the book. After her unfortunate encounters with unsavoury men, Roo decides to make some dramatic changes in her life, which does lead to some funny scenes and allows Ellie to lighten up a bit as well!

This book was an absolute joy to read. Right from the beginning, I loved the story between Ellie and Jamie, and the way he is present throughout the book, especially to Ellie is very touching and delicately done by Mansell. I like that Ellie is moving on with her life, but that her husband is always in her mind - it's nice to see a widowed character actually moving on, and it's important to see grief being dealt with like this. The setting of Primrose Hill was fantastic, and I could vividly imagine in my mind the place that Ellie and Zack worked, Ellie's home and all the surrounding places we visit with them. Mansell also manages to incorporate the serious illness Alzheimer's into the book, and she does this delicately and very sensitively, and I felt it was so well done, and although it was hard to imagine, it is certainly an eye-opener to this awful disease.

I loved this book, every page was a joy, and I really did look forward to picking it up every evening to find out what else was going to happen with Ellie, Zack and the rest of these characters. Because of Ellie's unfortunate past, you can't help but like her and empathise, and the same goes for Zack, Roo and the others too. Although I had guessed the ending almost from the beginning, it didn't spoil my enjoyment of the book at all and I immensely enjoyed the journey the book to get there - it moved at a great pace, not taking too long but moving along well and it certainly kept my interest. Finally, I have to mention the cover of this book - it is absolutely gorgeous and suits the story perfectly - after all, don't we all hope to find a love that will take us 'to the moon and back'? Simply wonderful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Chicklit, 21 Feb. 2011
Booklover (Worcester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: To The Moon And Back (Hardcover)
I have read all of Jill's books and without a doubt she is one of the best exponents of this genre. Her writing style grabs you straight away and once again I found myself reading the whole book in less than 24 hours! The story is nothing surprising (which is why I like this type of book - you know you are going to get a happy ending!) and the characters are the usual likeable bunch. If I have any criticism it would be that I did not get a sense of frisson and build up to the romance that I usually get from Jill's books. It was as if there was a spark missing. However if you like a good, easy, happy read then you won't be disappointed with this book.

The other point that I need to make (and this is not the author's fault) is that the Kindle version is a) very expensive b) badly formatted. I have reported the formatting issue so hopefully that will be resolved shortly.

4.0 out of 5 stars I finally read a Jill Mansell book!, 9 Mar. 2011
Jess Hearts Books (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: To The Moon And Back (Hardcover)
Being a fan of chick-lit I've heard of Jill Mansell and have been eyeing her books for a while although had never picked one up. Twenty two books later and I was thrilled to find out that I'd won her latest book To the Moon and Back on Twitter. I was so excited to see what all the fuss was about and made it my next chick-lit read, and honestly why did I not pick up a book by this author sooner!?

When we're first introduced to our main character Ellie she seems to be living a blissful life, happily married to gorgeous hubby Jamie, but by the end of the first chapter Ellie's world has come crashing down when Jamie's in a fatal car accident that kills him. The book then skips to fifteen months later where whilst Ellie's still grieving she's not in the beginning horrifying grips of it keeping the book light and not too heavy or depressing. Ellie's trying to rebuild her life by moving into a beautiful London flat and getting a new job as PA to gorgeous Zack McLaren. Zack wants a sensible, hardworking PA who isn't going to fall head over heels for him making their working relationship awkward and he's certainly found that in aloof, non-affected by his money, charm and good looks Ellie. The last thing Ellie wants is a new relationship but as Zack falls in love with her and Ellie starts to heal will a year of mishaps and near misses bring the love that both of them need? And more importantly will it be with each other?

The thing that I immediately loved about this book were the characters. Ellie's a lovely heroine who you can't help but want the best for after all of her grief and upset. I loved watching her develop as she slowly began to heal and was rooting for her to find love and a happy ending, but will it be with boss Zack? You'll just have to read it and find out! Ellie has three love interests throughout the book and whilst I was rooting for Zack at some points I honestly couldn't be sure who she'd end up with. As well as Ellie's story there are also the love lives of her neighbour Roo and her father in law to contend with. I loved reading about each characters story and found it to all tie together very nicely in the end.

I loved Jill Mansell's way of writing. Whilst this book is about a woman grieving the death of her husband it never feels heavy or depressing. Sometimes whilst reading I got a bit teary eyed but by the end of the page I'd soon be smiling again with Jill's meticulous way of keeping things light hearted.

I put this book down feeling happy and relaxed as if I'd just come back from a lovely holiday with friends. I'm so happy that I finally joined the Jill Mansell loop and will most definitely be buying and catching up with everything I've been missing out on with her other books. A lovely, heartwarming tale that I would most definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable ride, 14 Jun. 2011
This review is from: To The Moon And Back (Paperback)
What can I say? I'm a sucker for a romantic tale and this delivers. About 8 months ago I lost my best friend to cancer and it was so reassuring to read about a character who had lost her husband and talked to him even though she knew he wasnt really there - because that is exactly what I do!! But I digress - I just wanted to say from a personal point of view this book struck a chord with me. So to the story - I thought it was the equivalent of a hot chocolate on a winters day - it was warm and fuzzy and I really liked the main character. I cared about what was happening to her and although it was obvious who she was going to end up with, I loved the build up to it all happening. I have given this book 5 stars because it was really good and I finished it in 2 days (it would have been one but I accidentally dropped it in the bath so had to wait for it to dry.) I have enjoyed nearly all of Jill's books and look forward to the next one. I am still waiting to discover my ultimate chick lit book - Milly Johnson is in the lead with her latest book 'here come the girls' and Fiona Walker is close behind with 'kiss chase'

To The Moon And Back