Format: Vinyl|Change

on 17 March 2011
I have to warn you, I'm a fan of Arctic Monkeys so everything that Alex touches turns to gold in my eyes. Ergo, if you like Arctic Monkeys and Alex's work in general, I think you will be pleased with this EP.

Even though it's rather short (it is EP after all and not an album) it has really nice sound and feels complete. It sure does remind me of The Last Shadow Puppets and Arctic Monkeys' earlier songs with it's retro sound and phenomenal lyrics. EP has been looping on my playlist for quite some time now and I'm really looking forward to watching the film and seeing how the songs fit in. From what I can tell from the trailer and other short clips from the film, it seems to be a perfect match.
on 7 April 2011
Every song on this short soundtrack never outstays its welcome, and always feels necessary.
The other songs shouldn't be ignored, but Piledriver waltz has been the song that has been on repeat since I bought this, and made the ending of the film that much sweeter.
on 26 April 2016
Fantastic songwriting and vocals from Alex Turner. A true musician and it's great to listen to such a passionate vinyl.
I first heard this when I went to see the film 'Submarine' and it is one of those albums that truly immerses you into the film. Yes, it's short, but it's short and sweet. You can't help but dance around the living room imagining that you're the one he is singing about (girly fantasies, I know).

If you're a fan of the Arctic Monkeys, then you'll be in for a pleasant surprise. Away from the indie rock sound, Turner engulfs us with a twist on modern folk, beautiful and calming.

The perfect gift for those who like to mellow with their music.
on 25 November 2015
Excellent album but the quality of the vinyl is DREADFUL! I ordered this a couple of weeks ago brand new and I found that one of the songs jumped a bit. I then returned it to Amazon and got a replacement delivered, via the Amazon returns service, and after playing the new copy today I found that TWO songs kept on jumping. Brilliant album but terrible quality vinyl.
on 25 August 2011
Alex Turner is without a doubt a fantastic songwriter. Whether you like the arctic monkeys or not, their impact on music in the noughties was a big one, and one for the better. This E.P/soundtrack is a far quieter affair than the Arctic Monkeys and allows Turner to show the diversity in his songwriting. The tracks here showcase some of the influences that Turner has that are less prominent in The Arctic Monkeys and the record evokes memories of Leonard Cohen's earlier albums, Richard Hawley's Cole's Corner and and is even reminiscent of Lou Reed's more tender moments.
This is a record that will echo in your mind for days and muster warm emotions within. A brilliant soundtrack for a brilliant film by and an utterly brilliant songwriter.
on 18 March 2011
Basically 5 songs (1 track is just an intro) soundtracking Richard Ayoade's film "Submarine" & if the film is half as good as music...I smell an Oscar... at least for Alex (worth it to see Mr Turner's acceptance speech!!)

With regards the songs, definitely leaning more towards "The Last Shadow Puppets", so fans looking for a Monkeys fix need to look elsewhere...at least until their new release later this year.

In this stripped down environment Alex's voice has never sounded better, hard to pick out a stand out track...but if pushed I'd plump for "Glass In The Park".

Buy now...you won't regret it, perfect late night listening.
After going to see `Submarine' in the cinema, I was left with one lasting impression - the marvellous soundtrack. The original music from Alex Turner was perfectly suited to the film, neatly summing up the main character's peculiarities and moods. As a standalone album (or EP, as it is so short) it still works supremely well, and delivers a set of mostly gentle, thoughtful tracks with a lot of passion behind them that you can really lose yourself in. It's an excellent album, and one that is not only a must have for fans of the film, but will be easily appreciated by anyone who hasn't seen the movie.
on 26 June 2011
A nice collection of songs from the Monkey's front man - they go with the film of the same name which I've yet to see but has received good reviews. The songs are not as rocky as the usual monkey's style and are quite folky - a little too quiet to listen to in the car but a very pleasant way to pass 20 odd minutes.
on 1 February 2016
I live in the US and this was my first purchase from Amazon UK. I thought my order would take a while to get here. However, it was delivered within the time frame that was given. It was new and neatly packaged. Sound quality is excellent.
on 23 January 2016
Terrible sound quality seems warped, songs have skipped 4 times. I was so excited for this album to arrive but I'm so disappointed by the quality