Be warned that spoilers of Book #1 and #2 might occur, so if you haven't read those yet, you might close your eyes and skip reading this review.

Published on 16 July 2011 by Stella (Ex Libris)

2.0 out of 5 stars It's not a book. It's a chapter
Published 14 months ago by Michelle Marshall

4.0 out of 5 stars An exciting page turner peppered with the entertaining, witty humour of a wonderful heroine!, 16 July 2011
This review is from: Deceived by the Others (An H&W Investigations Novel) (Kindle Edition)

My Thoughts: Deceived by the Others is the 3rd book in Jess Haines' H&W Investigations series and after the terrific ride of Taken by the Others, I was excited to dig in and see how things would go on after the bang ending of Book #2.

Unfortunately Shia does what she does best: she avoids dealing with uncomfortable situations, so of course she hides from Royce (just a little warning for all of you Royce fans out there: Shia won't speak with Royce until about way after page 250). So sadly I didn't get in Deceived by the Others the big confrontational talk between Shia and Royce after the blood bonding and their dealing with of where they go from there, but I keep hope I'll get it in Book #4.

So to get back to Deceived by the Others: Shia is debating whether to take her relationship with Chaz to the next level and sign the contract binding herself to an Other. As an attempt to rekindle their relationship after Shia's bonding to Royce in Book #2 which took its toll on Chaz, Shia and Chaz are going for a short vacation in the mountains to spend a few days with the whole Sunstriker pack during full moon.

Before I started reading Deceived by the Others I have glimpsed plenty of outrage exclamations of fans and warnings that there will be some pretty shocking revelations, so I was on the lookout constantly for the big fallout. I have to say I wasn't that surprised because I haven't liked Chaz from the beginning. He seemed phony and superficial to me, his interactions with Shia didn't seem deep or intense, so I can't say I was stunned by what he did and his plan. I never cared for him, and I have to say I'm even a bit glad because this way Shia can finally forget about him and look on to new and greener pastures (*cough* Royce *cough*). ;-p

Though there was plenty of mystery and dubious events taking place, and even though Jess Haines managed to keep the nail-biting excitement and thrill up I somehow found the mystery plot of Deceived by the Others less formidable than in the previous two books. But then with the conclusion Jess Haines revealed that it was more of a prank, the humour of which I appreciated, but would have loved to have a more serious and bigger evil in the works too. I know, I'm greedy :-)

I think Jess Haines was very brave in undertaking to have most of Deceived by the Others without Royce appearing on the pages until about page 260, but of course the exciting character of him and especially his interaction and crack up dialogues with Shia were sorely missed. Though they clearly are the spice of this series and what makes it outstanding, Shia's humour and sarcasm on her own is still remarkable and just as funny as before:

Maybe I could crack the thing's skull before it tore out my insides. Right. And the tooth fairy would swing by to play backup for me next.

Coitus interruptus does not a happy camper make.

"You should be afraid," Gabe said his voice gone deeper, guttural with anger. [...] "You aren't one of us. Don't you know what we could do to you?"
"Try me, Fluffy. I've fought your kind before. You kids don't know who you're messing with."

Verdict: All in all Deceived by the Others was an exciting page turner peppered with the usual entertaining witty humour of Jess Haines' heroine. And if it didn't succeed Taken by the Others I might have rated it higher, but I just loved Book #2 so much that I was left a bit disappointed I had to miss out on the Shia & Royce goodness so much. But I really hope they'll get their time to shine in the next books and Jess Haines will reward us with plenty of yumminess :-)

Plot: 6/10
Characters: 8/10
Ending: 8/10
Writing: 9/10
Cover: 10/10 - finally! It was about time this series got a great cover and I love the cover of Deceived by the Others! Atmospheric yet colourful and finally Shia looks normal and not like some leather-clad hooker. yay!

5.0 out of 5 stars Claire's review, 4 July 2011
Deceived By The Others is the third book in the H&W Investigations series by Jess Haines. If you haven't read the first two books Hunted By The Others and Taken By The Others I strongly advise that you do before reading this book, and please do not read this review any further as it will contain spoilers for the two previous books.

DBTO starts off with Shia about to sign a contract between here and Chaz, her werewolf boyfriend and Alpha of the Sunstrikers pack. They are both going away for a long weekend with all the pack members so that Shia can get to know the pack and watch them shift into their other forms. Shia is concerned how the pack will react to her as she has a contract with Alec Royce the master vampire with whom she was also blood bound too. The vacation doesn't go as planned with somebody out to get Chaz and pack members not wanting Shia there with them for the full moon. I won't go into any more of the story but suffice to say there is a massive shock in the story.

I have really enjoyed the three books by Jess Haines, the stories are not anything we haven't really read before in the Urban Fantasy genre and they are very quick and easy to read but for some reason I cannot put them down. Ms Haines creates good chemistry between Shia and Chaz and Royce so much so that I just keep turning the pages to see what happens next. DBTO does not have a big fight scene in it unlike the earlier books and I liked that about it.

I thoroughly recommend this series and I cannot wait to get my hands on the fourth book. For the earlier books and the beginning of this I have been Team Royce all the way (I always pick the vamp) however as the book progressed I changed sides toTeam Chaz. But what Team was I in the end? Why don't you read the book and find out for yourselves?

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great read from Jess Haines, 15 Aug 2011
Seren Ade (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Book 3 in Jess Haines' H &W Investigations series. And it's definitely worth reading books 1 & 2 first!

Shiarra Waynest is contemplating entering into a contract, binding her to her boyfriend Chaz Hallbrook, alpha werewolf and leader of the Sunstriker Tribe. The contract will allow them to sleep together (forbidden by law since Chaz came out as a werewolf, one of the supernatural 'Others' living alongside the human race) but will also allow him huge rights over Shia: including the right to turn her into a werewolf with or without her explicit consent.

Shia is, understandably, nervous about taking this step but feels that she owes Chaz a symbol of her faith after his support for her during the trials of the first two novels in the series. As an initial step in accustoming herself to Chaz's werewolf existence, she plans a vacation with him and his pack over the course of the full moon. So when she receives messages from Jack (a member of the White Hat league against paranormal beings) and from enigmatic Master vampire, Alec Royce (to whom she is already contractually bound) both denying any responsibility for what might be about to happen to her, Shia becomes uneasy to say the least.

Although I enjoyed this book, I was disappointed by the amount of time which is spent on the werewolf retreat scenes and the development of Shia's relationship with Chaz. This relationship was virtually sidelined in Taken By The Others (H&W Investigations) - to the point that I found myself sceptical about Shia's interest in binding herself to Chaz... until it becomes clear that much of this is motivated by Shia's misplaced guilt over the blood bond she had shared with Royce, rather than her depth of feelings for the hitherto rather cypher-like Chaz.

Despite much of the action taking place away from New York and the vampires, there is still time for development of the Shia-Royce plotline. And for once, it seems that the controlling, manipulative vampire is capable of an act of truly unselfish generosity.

Not my favourite source of action for much of the book, but nonetheless an engaging read with lots of intriguing plot twists, something of a cliffhanger ending and plenty of scope for development in the sequel.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's not a book. It's a chapter, 30 May 2013
I feel really annoyed about this supposed book. It's not a book, it's a few chapters of another book. I understand that the premise of a series is that there are certain things that don't get cleared up at the end of each book. But, in my opinion, each book needs to be able to stand alone on at least some level, if only that the core plot of the novel is resolved at the end.

This book does not do that. It starts off very slowly and I nearly stopped. Then there's an awful lot of confusion over dates and times but I can't tell if that's about the editing or just that I wasn't paying enough attention because I was bored. Then things start to improve and just when I am getting into the story it ends. There is no beginning, middle and end. There's a begginning and part of a middle, and that's it.

It feels like the auther is now just dragging these out as she thinks I'll pay my 3.99 or whatever for each book. But I won't. I will not be buying any more of these books. When you buy a book you expect to read a book. Not the equivalent of a really long Kindle sample.

4.0 out of 5 stars One Kick ass protagonist, 23 Sep 2011
This is the third installment in the H and W Investigations. I am a huge Jess Haines fan and love this series. Shia is a great protagonist and does not fail to disappoint in this book.

Shia and her hot werewolf boyfriend Chaz start off on a road trip. There relationship has many ups and downs, the main cause being Chaz is a werewolf, an Alfa at that and Shia is a human, not ordinary human, but still a human none the less. Shia is ready to take the relationship to the next level, in the physical sense. So while his clan are off turning into big furry things when the full moon is high in the sky, in a resort, they head off too. Shia thinks this will be a nice bonding session, however she is not welcomed and becomes a target. She uses her PI head, but finds out more than she could have imagined.

Only thing I was disappointed in was that Alec, whom is an old vampire didn't feature in it more. A very small disappointment and didn't spoil my enjoyment of this book. This book is a roller coaster of a ride which will keep you hanging on until the end. As with previous books, this is not short on action. You are left with a cliffhanger ending and unsure of Shia's future. But we have to wait until the next book to find out.

This book is a real page turner, one I would highly recommend for all urban fantasy fans. Shia is a fantastic main character, whom has one kick ass personality. I cannot wait for book four.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed, 19 Sep 2011
Reading the existing reviews I'm swinging the other way - I thought the 1st two books in this series were WAY better. For me this had too many similarities with the Twilight series but, worse than that, it's an incomplete book as it's left you hanging....and continues into the next one.

For me this felt like it's been rushed out to take advantage of the earlier success.

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, 11 Sep 2011
honest reader (North West England) - See all my reviews
I must admit this book was a better read than the last 2 in the series. Cliched in some places but if you want a light read which you can finish in a couple of days and isnt particulary taxing I would recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absoluetly Amazing!!!!!, 11 Sep 2011
Well, I thoroughly enjoyed the first 2 books and was not disappointed with this one. The plot wasn't as involved and clever as the other books but this is explosive and my heart beat so fast for what Shia goes through!!! Although I do wonder why none of her friends seemed to tell her that going to a werewolf retreat at full moon with a bunch of weres who don't like her was a bad idea!!! That said, I could not stop reading this and am busting to read book 4 to find out how Shia goes about her plans.
I agree with another reviewer that this isn't really too original but Jess Haines writes in such a way that you get totally gripped in the emotions and the laughs and excitement. Fantastic series!!