5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect start to your end-of-shave routine
If you wet shave - and especially if you wet shave "properly" with a double-edge safety razor - then you need one of these in your shaving bowl... end of. This is a solid block of the same material small styptic pencils are made of and if you look after it, it will last you a very long time.

Alum is a styptic (stops bleeding) and an astringent (closes up the...
Published on 11 Dec 2011 by Simon Newton

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me
Used it for a few weeks at the start of my DE shaving experience and was still getting an irritated neck for a while after the shave. Stopped using it a couple of weeks back and the irritation has stopped. It is great at stopping bleeding if you do nick yourself and lets you know when you have used a bit too much pressure.
Does the job but I'm just not a fan
Published 7 months ago by Jon Jarram

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect start to your end-of-shave routine, 11 Dec 2011
Simon Newton (UK) - See all my reviews

Alum is a styptic (stops bleeding) and an astringent (closes up the pores) and a natural antiseptic. After you have shaved and had a cold-water rinse wet the block and run it all over your still-wet face. If you have shaved carefully and accurately you should only feel a very mild tightening sensation. Any areas where you went a bit too hard, caused excessive irritation or nicked yourself badly will give a good sting for a moment - a useful tool to show you where you might be lacking in a bit of technique! You can then leave it to dry for a while before rinsing again. Let your face dry again and follow up with your favourite post-shave balm and/or moisturiser. It has an almost magical ability to stop bleeding from nicks and to cool and soothe any razor burn.

Once you have finished, rinse off the block under the tap and dry it thoroughly before putting it away otherwise it will dissolve away more quickly. If you look after it like this (and don't drop it, it will shatter) then it should last you a ridiculously long time. Great value.

If you don't use one in your shaving routine then you really ought to buy one right now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works., 17 Jun 2010
J. Homfray (UK) - See all my reviews
Very old school wetshaving item, but as with most traditional wetshaving gear - its superior to the newer high tech products.

Keep your face wet and rub the block over your face (It will sting a touch).
The Alum acts as a Styptic and as a balm - Closing any minor nicks and also soothing any burn and toning your face.

Let it dry then wash off (else you will have a slightly regency powdered look to your face) followed by some moisturizer.

This block is good quality and an adequate size for use on your face - should last you a good while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tiny bar, 15 Jun 2012
P. Pereira - See all my reviews
Since I started buyng products for traditional shaving that I have been amazed time after time with... the size of the items!!! Again, I didn't look at the dimensions of the product in the description, and when I got it in the mail I was like... "What!!". This is 2cm x2cm x3cm. Tiny! I saw a video on Youtube about these alum bars and the guy was holding a 'larger than regular soap bar' alum bar, so I kinf od expected something of the same size. Well, this tiny little alum bar (have I mentioned how small it is??) is great, though, and it does the job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally,something to get rid of my acne, 10 Dec 2012
Mr. A. T. Wheeler "A.T.J.W" (UK, Milton Keynes) - See all my reviews
Im 33 & still suffer from pretty bad acne,tried all the creams,washes,prescription creams,pills etc,nothing really worked or had side affects.Was chatting to my Algerian friend at work about shaving & he said this stone/crystal was good for sealing small nicks,read up on it & realised it can help with acne.I use it to wash my face morning & night,within a few days my acne had pretty much gone,i get the odd spot maybe once a week but its worked a treat in getting rid of most of it

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, aint no skool like the old skool!, 3 Jan 2012
Mr. L. J. Gladwell "Laz" (Essex) - See all my reviews
I picked up this block after seeing it used in some shaving tutorials on YouTube. Didn't know what to expect really as im very new to this old way of shaving. All other points aside about traditional shaving to which im a great convert and am boring on to everyone I can about it and the devilry of the corporate multi blade systems I shall review this product.

It was totally different to what I expected (I thought more a hard soap kinda thing) the alum bloc is more of a stone or mineral, think quartz or something like that. You finish your shave with a blast of cold water to close the pores and then wet this badboy and run it around the face. Now since I been shaving the traditional way (about 2 weeks now) I haven't cut or nicked myself... I thought I would by now but have been following the technique closely as set out by mantic59 (youtube), so as such I cant vouch for the cauterising ability of this but what I would say is that when you have run it around your face you get a manly tingle/sting and the block does its work, your face tightens and tones as it dries and primes it perfectly for when you then apply your balm and or moisturiser. I wouldn't shave without it now and it gives me peace of mind for when I eventually do get a nick or cut that I wont have to walk about with abit of sodden blood soaked tissue stuck to my face.

Great product...really aint no skool but the old skool. Gillet and that lot can go do one, they wont be getting my money ever again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to The DE shaving kit, 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: Osma Bloc - Alum Block 75g (Soothes Shaving Irritation) (Personal Care)
At first I noticed little difference but persisted for several shaves and now have noticed the areas that tended to get a bit red/bleeding are now disappearing.

After your shave and whilst the face is still wet run the block over your face paying particular attention to any problem areas and hold over these areas for a few seconds (will sting a little). Then let your face dry for a good minute or two then rinse off and apply your favourite aftershave balm.

My advice is to persist for several shaves and you will be impressed by the results.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 31 Dec 2013
Does the job but I'm just not a fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 12 Feb 2014
I'm a real bleeder as I have a low platelet count, so when I nick myself shaving (an almost daily occurrence) I can bleed for about an hour (i wish I was lying). So I was sceptical on the claimed performance of Osma Bloc, however I have been pleasantly surprised as this stops the bleeds immediately or within a few mins for really bad cuts.

A must buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Would never be without it., 8 Feb 2014
Having just returned to shaving with a DE Safety Razor and giving myself many minor nicks I decided I needed something for application directly after.

With trial and error I have discovered the best routine is to rinse the face with really cold water after the shave. I then rub the entire shaved area with the Osma Block Alum Block. This helps to stem blood flow from any small cuts. You will know you have hit the spot once you feel the stinging sensation. This product also helps negate any shaving rash.

After rubbing the block over the face I prefer to let it dry for a minute or two then follow up with a really cold water rinse again. After the cold water rinse it is nice to apply a nice warm towel to the face.

This product has antiseptic qualities which assists in the whole after shave experience. I find now I only need to use a small amount of aftershave cologne at the base of the ears, just for the smell, as this Alum Block takes care of everything else.

If you wet shave at all, you need this. And it lasts so long into the bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for DE shaving, 5 Oct 2013
Andrew "impulsive gadget buyer" (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I've recently started DE shaving and with the initial kit I invested in I picked up a Styptic pencil. It became obvious fairly quickly that whilst learning the manly art of DE shaving I would need more than the pencil so I bought one of these. This is much better for me at the moment as I can run it over large areas of my face quickly to keep the bleeding under control. Though this is becoming less of a problem as my technique improves I think I'll stick with a block unless maybe travelling and space/weight was an issue.

The only negative for me, but not enough to warrant dropping a star, is that I wish this came in a little plastic case for storage. That would be really handy in my opinion.

Overall fantastic product. Soothes the face and stops bleeding nicely. Essential for DE shaving or if prone to irritation with any type of shaving.

Osma Bloc - Alum Block 75g (Soothes Shaving Irritation)
5.85