5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Gothic Metal
I came at this album with a slight air of trepidation after watching the hugely disappointing We Came With Northern Winds and cringing through Liv's appalling vocal performance.
Published on 29 April 2011 by JohnInBlack

3.0 out of 5 stars Folk metal
Another good album from the Norwegian folk-rock-metal combo band. Nothing really new here, style and substance remains the same. Still worth a listen.
Published on 18 May 2012 by N. Irshad

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Gothic Metal, 29 April 2011
This review is from: Meredead (Audio CD)
Well, after 6 six listens to this album I have to say I am incredibly pleased. The songs are superb, the atmosphere of the album is haunting, ethereal and beautiful. I have enjoyed every Leaves Eyes album but there has always been a slight but...with each one. This one has no negatives for me what so ever.
There are hints at some of the early Theatre Of Tragedy work, similarities to Tristania and leanings towards Midnattsol (Liv's sisters band) with the folk influences.
Leaves Eyes have shown a real maturity with this album and for a new listener to the band, sounds like nothing they have released so far, this is a real advancement for the band.
I have absolutely no hesitation in giving this album the full 5 stars.
The bonus live DVD is superb and a much better performance than the previously mentioned release.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 27 April 2011
This review is from: Meredead (Audio CD)
Being a big fan of Leaves' Eyes and having all their albums to date, I was eagerly awaiting delivery of my pre-ordered copy of Meredead. It's certainly very different from their previous releases. Nothing like as heavy or dramatic as previous albums such as Vinland Saga and Njord which are my favourites. This is much lighter and rather laid back overall and there is a very strong folksong feeling to many of the tracks. Some wouldn't be out of place in a Gaelic rock album. Although there are contributions from the choir and orchestra they are much less powerful than previously. Only around half of the songs have English lyrics and I struggled a bit difficult to understand the overal concept. More plays required. The line up has changed (again); only vocalists Liv Kristine & Alexander Krull and guitarist Thorsten Bauer remaining from the previous album. This seems to have had a big effect on the overall sound. All-in-all a bit disappointed. It's quite enjoyable, just not the Leaves' Eyes is was expecting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting and Memorable, 13 July 2011
This review is from: Meredead (Audio CD)
I love this album - for the songs that I have heard before, but rendered now in the beautiful tones of Liv Kristine. "To France" (I heard from Blind Guardian) and "Krakevisa" (a traditional Scandinavian folk song about a crow) stand out immediately to me. The others are equally haunting. A beautiful blend of sweet vocals, folk music and the occasional heavier moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully creative but powerful album, 2 May 2011
David L. Evans (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meredead (MP3 Download)
I have enjoyed previous Leaves' Eyes Cds and Liv Kristine is always a superb singer. This album adds another dimension to their previous ones and has a subtlety and tenderness at times that is quite beguiling, but still has plenty of loud up- tempo songs that retain a real metal feel. There are some folk like numbers and the use of different languages to give a great variety and appeal. This is something special and I would urge you to buy it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gaelic, Gothic, Rock, Metal., 12 July 2012
J. Rychetnik (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meredead (Audio CD)
How is that for a description of Leaves Eyes latest album; gaelic, gothic, rock, metal? Having read the other reviews I was expecting a somewhat half cast album. But no, this album is full throttle. It is just not the usual Scandinavian Goth Metal which Leaves Eyes fans have grown to expect. There is a very strong Gaelic sound to this album. Its not folk though. Its rock. There is not one slow or folky song on this album. They are all up tempo and full sound.

After Vinland Saga and Njord this album makes an exhilirating addition to Leaves Eyes repertoire. There is not one dud song on the album and the Gaelic influence blends seemlessly with the bands usual style. Very melodic and interesting. Leaves Eyes are one of my latest discoveries and I'm loving them more and more.

A final note about Liv's beautiful voice. I was a bit worried that her voice was growing deeper when I heard Njord. It seemed to lack the sharpness and clarity of her voice on Vinland Saga - but here her voice is back to its top notch beauty and strength.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lighter than Njord, but possibly better, 3 Jun 2011
This review is from: Meredead (Audio CD)
Like other reviewers I was a bit surprised by this album. It's lighter than I was expecting, which would have been a negative for me had I known - on listening though it works really well. Mike Oldfield's "To France" was also a surprise inclusion, but it sits nicely in with the traditional and original stuff here (and I did like the original anyway). If you're expecting "Njord part 2" then this won't satisfy. If you're after a great rock CD with folk/celtic influences, then it will. The lyrics aren't all English, but again I didn't find that a problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Metal done differently., 31 May 2011
A. Matthews (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meredead (Audio CD)
Another extraordinary album from this innovative band. Totally different from Njord or their earlier work, this has distinctly Celtic/folk influences all tangled up in heavy metal. I'm advised by those more knowledgeable than myself that some tracks are in Olde English and others in Norwegian. I don't understand either but the album is no less enjoyable. The opener 'Spirits' Masquerade' is sung in English and is a catchy little number, and 'To France' is a nice re-working of the Mike Oldfield original from umpteen years ago. (A classic reworked is one common factor with Njord which provided an astonishing rendition of 'Scarborough Fayre' which still gets the hairs on the back of my neck bristling). The bonus DVD shot at the 2010 Metal Female Voices Festival in Wieze is also worth the price of the album alone. So, if you're looking for something a little bit different in the female-fronted metal genre - give it a go. You might not find it to your taste - or, like me, you might just get well and truly hooked.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Tale of a Sea Goth ..., 17 May 2011
This review is from: Meredead (Audio CD)
"Meredead" it turns out is Old English for "Sea-Dead" , the restless spirits of those drowned at sea. From the opener "Spirits' Masquerade"its clear the album's theme is at least as "Goth" as any of their previous albums (there might well be a "concept album"in there somewhere, but given the 12 tracks split near equally between English, Norwegian and Old English ,only the lucky few fluent in all three will ever know for sure!)

Musically the album has evolved a fair way since their third album "Njord". Call it "Celtic Folk Metal " for short. Elfenthal and others guest to add an "early music" element to many tracks. With Liv's lyrics and vocals as epic as ever, it all adds up a consistently great album .Alex Krull's (Mastersound) production is as inspired as ever throughout. It should certainly delight most Leaves Eyes fans, though maybe a few will find the album a little too "folky ", with not quite enough "metal" in the mix.

Vocally too there's been a big change - the "extreme vocals" from Alex in the "Beauty and the Beast" duets with Liv are near all gone , only featuring on one track this time(and that in Norwegian, which somewhat softens the effect). He also adds vocals to one further track, but in a very different "straight" delivery , much more akin to his Atrocity persona . John Kelly (Elfenthal) adds more folk-style male vocals elsewhere.

DVD

I bought the "Basic" edition, so was a bit miffed to then learn from another review there is also a special edition with a bonus live concert DVD out there. Go for that version every time,if you can still get it(I struck lucky when MIdnattssol did exactly the same with their own new album last month, so I really should have been on the look out for the same choicehere !)

4.0 out of 5 stars Leaves Eyes; Mereadead CD, 9 Nov 2012
D. Roberts (U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meredead (Audio CD)
Great songs, good price, slightly different from other albums by Leaves Eyes, more Folk to it, but one of my favourites, def' like the sound of it. The song Meredead from this album, is one of favourite songs of all time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Folk metal, 18 May 2012
N. Irshad (England) - See all my reviews

Meredead
Meredead by Leaves' Eyes (Audio CD - 2013)