Paradise Lost - Draconian Times (Legacy Edition)
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£12.14+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 21 January 2002
I am a huge Paradise Lost Fan and in my opinion, this is their best album ever, and one which I'm sorry to say they may never equal. As most Paradise Lost fans know, the group seems to have gone through 3 phases in their life cycle: Death Metal (the first 2 albums), Gothic Metal (the next 3 of which Draconian Times is the last) and the new-age rock electronica (the last 3 albums). Personally I'm a huge fan of the middle 3 and Draconian Times is clearly the best of them all. Fans of 'Shades of God' and especially 'Icon' will love this album seeing that it is the natural progression from them. Fans of the first 2 albums may not like it seeing that it moves further away from the Death Metal sound of their earlier days. Fans of their new music may want to check it out to see what Paradise Lost was all about. In my opinion a must for every self respecting Gothic and Paradise Lost fan.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon 30 September 2004
This album sounds as fresh today as it did when it was released. Every song is beautifully written in a way that allows you to tell each song apart. Some albums you listen to have a collection of songs that seem to blend into one another into a 45 minute drone. Draconion Times however will have you remembering the names of the songs, reading the plush inlay booklet (ltd edition box) and singing the choruses. The style is almost a cross between Metallica and Sisters of Mercy - its metal with depth and harmony. The songs that stand out for me are Hallowed Land, Enchantment, Shadow Kings, Elusive Cure and Jaded.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Is this metal I am not sure it certainly has essence of metal but eth music is better than that and worth a listen for the more casual hard rock fan. There is a lot of `light and shade' in this album, and the legacy edition certainly adds to the original release. 2 discs the:
Disc 1 CD contains the original 12 track album in all its rock glory, and adds a further 7 tracks two demos of song which appear on the album and show how the songs evolved i.e. are significantly different to make them worthy additions the balance are live tracks recorded in 1995
Disc 2 DVD contains a 5.1 mix of the whole album, a great mix which bares repeated listening and opens up the sound field nicely, this mix is not gimmicky and suites the music very well. Then there are a few video extras for good measure
These two discs are housed in a book and the discs are tightly squeezed into the cover rather than having dedicated trays, meaning scratched discs.
Small moan as this is a Music disc you would have hoped that the record company would have used at least DTS as the primary sound stream, but instead they chose to use Dolby digital (a codec designed specifically for movies), so the high end and low end at times seem to be missing something (I will say that this is good but could have been so much better reference King crimson Anniversary editions for how to reissue an album in surround). And there is no dedicated sterol mix on the DVD either so no Hi Rez (48/24 o 96/24 PCM stereo.) This is a music disc why not make it the best issue they can.
So while I agree with the previous reviewer that this is a good release, with a bit of thought this could have been an example on how to re- issue instead it's a just a good release.
on 19 April 2011
Ok, firstly I'm not going to give you all a low-down on the tracks or the album. I guess if you are here to check out this re-release you already know that alongside Icon, Draconian Times is Paradise lost's greatest work.

The repackaging: The original package to this cd was awful. A black, pseudo-felt lined box with flimsy card cd case. The saving grace was the beautiful artwork contained within. Here on the Legacy Edition you get the most beautiful hard cover 'book type' case with all the elegant artwork contained throughout. Alongside the original artwork are the lyrics and brief notes from the band members, as they share their thoughts, experiences and memories from the classic paradise lost period. This cd packaging is the most beautifully designed and produced that I own in my collection, which is good going because I have a fairly extensive collection.

The main reason for purchasing this remastered and repackaged edition was solely to buy the 5.1 mix, as I love my dvd-a and 5.1 surround mixes.
The low-down is this:
This 5.1 disc may not have the resolution of a dvd-a (btw, I don't care about the specifics of 96/24 vs dts or dolby digital, or whatever) all I want to say is that this disc is mind-blowing. The sound quality of this surround is absolutely awesome. The production and mastering for this special version are absolutely first-class. Each track seems to sound brand new and fresh once again, almost like you're hearing it for the first time. Every track I pick out things I don't recall hearing before, new drum beats, new guitar notes, new bass lines. It sounds sublime. The front central speaker is reserved solely for Nick Holmes voice and he just gives one of my favourite vocal performances ever. It really does send a shiver down the spine. This is what music is all about IMO, tapping into the raw emotions that make us love this kind of music; and with such an unbelievable sounding remaster it can't possibly fail to give this experience to everyone that bought and loved this disc 16 years ago! Enjoy! Please give us Icon in 5.1 next.
review image
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 19 November 2003
I came across 'Paradise Lost' by accident, I bought it because I liked the cover (I do that a lot!), it turned out to be the most stunnig album that I have listened to in a while,my partner liked it so much that now it lives in the car on c.d.. I later on bought 'Host' so disappointed with that that it just gathers dust,also bought 'Reflection'a 'best of' which was better,it shows of the vocals and guitars to extremes,from ballad to out and out metal,superb,buy it or buy both!!
on 9 August 2003
I have been into paradise lost since late 1993 when a friend introduced me to the Icon album which is the predecessor to Draconian Times. When I first heard this record on the day of it's release I thought wow.
It was as though the Icon album had hints of Draconian Times in it but Draconian was the full effect of those feelings. The riffs are just incredible and the structure of each song is so well thought out.
I recommend anyone into rock music like metallica, megadeth, anything fairly heavy really to get this record. You will not be disappointed. I surely wasn't.
on 8 March 2001
I first heard paradise lost some 10 years ago and theyve usually managed to impress with their gothic/rock/metal style... later stuff is somewhat Depeche Mode like... earlier stuff had death metal style vocals but always managed to sound a bit gothy.
This album is Paradise Lost at their finest... a clean balance of rock/metal/goth extremely well executed with buckets of style. Theyve tried many things and personally I think this shows them doing what they do best. If you only ever buy one Paradise Lost album make it this one.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
draconian times is paradise losts fifth album and it is a sublime piece of beauty,heavy when it has to be,melodic throughout and lyrically dark but uplifting as well.

I would be lying if i said i was a paradise lost maniac,i am not,in recent years they have been their own worst enemy,changing record label after label and losing focus and what i have heard in recent years hasnt blown me away,but yet i was always drawn towards this album and i now know why its so praised.

The band have been called gothic,i aint sure if thats the case with dranconian times,in fact their first few albums were more death metal/doom metal in style,dranconian reveals itself to be an album of depth,an album where each song has its own identity,the album is more rockier than straight edged metal but there are some great thrashy riffing moments,nick holmes sings with a style that reminds me of james hetfield,each lyric is understandable and like i said each song is brilliant,a real tour de force in the history of heavy music.
on 1 January 2012
Yes finally one of my all time favourite albums has been remastered, given a new coat of paint.
The packaging is stunning, lovely digi-book, liner notes from the band and some beautiful artwork.
Once you have given the book a good look over, then the problems start.
Try and get either of the 2 dics from the cardboard insert sleeves, and you will struggle, to say the least.
I have never seen a CD squeezed tighter into any packing in 20 plus years I have been buying the format.

The sound of the remastered Draconian Times, is well done, a very rich full sound, with all instruments clear in the mix.
But what is very disappointing is the 'bonus' tracks.
We get 2 demo's and 5 live tracks.
Where and I mean WHERE are the non album tracks that appeared on the album's single releases?

All up a great package, value for money, but could have been better!